News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Line port not working

Started by Rick108, October 18, 2011, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick108

I just set up my OBi - soooo slick!  One minor glitch, though.  I plugged a phone into the Phone port, and it works.  I also ran the wire that came with the OBi from the Line plug into my wall, but none of the other phones in the house work.  However, I swapped the two plugs at the OBiTalk so that the wire into the wall is now connected to the Phone plug, and the other house phones work ok.  But a phone plugged directly into the Line plug does NOT work.  It is as if the Line plug is just dead!  Is there something I need to do to turn this plug on?

AndyJ

LINE connects to the PSTN or your provider of standard telephone services, not a phone. That way, you can make calls to and receive calls from the PSTN on the phone(s) connected to the PHONE port. Of course, the OBi lets you do much more, like bridging a PSTN call to a SIP provider and so on.

If you want all the phones in you house to be connected to the OBi, you'd need to make sure your house wiring is disconnected from the PSTN (or from whatever is providing standard telephone services). Then, you'd connect the house wiring to the OBi through the PHONE port. The LINE port would go to your provider of standard telephone services, if you have one (basically, what the house wiring used to be connected to). Just make sure not to hook up too many phones, which could exceed the OBi's REN capacity.

Rick108

Thanks, Andy.  I didn't even realize the OBi had bridging capability, so I just... assumed... something was broken.  Next time I'll RTFM before posting! :-[

Thanks for reminding me to disconnect the PTSN line, though.  In my case, I've already turned off the home telco service after porting my home number to Google Voice (via TracFone), so it was dead, but probably still a good idea to unplug the house at the Network Interface Box, just in case...