News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200; Failed in setting SP3 for VOIP.MS & have quit trying.

Started by vtsnaab, August 30, 2020, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

Edit:
This proved to be a real nuisance considering the wasted time & efforts of myself, the other good members here, and the support staff at the ITSP.

Ultimately I set up a spare, wifi only Android phone for this via its native SIP client.
The steps are a bit twisted at the ITSP, but it does work & will be very good a a totally movable phone for this number.

Using it at SP3 would have been better, and should have just worked - but did not & enough is enough rather than trying things over & over with zero good results.

Thanks Again to the generous folks here for your efforts !!

Howdy Folks.
I'm trying to get my service at VOIP.MS to work via SP3 on my Obi200.

SP1 & 2 are 100% fine with GV accounts & I'm using the local IP address to access the settings.
(Auto provisioning is disabled as per the directions linked below.)

Tried this using the info found here:
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi_100/110_%26_OBi_200

Also made a sub-account & attached it with the DID via ring group.
The Obi doesn't register at VOIP.MS.

I am doing this because my other phone (Panasonic SIP phone on the main account at VOIP.MS) is registering fine - will get incoming calls - but any number I dial out just gives a busy & I'd rather use the Obi anyhow.

Please help me get things working correctly ??

Thanks.

vtsnaab

Wow.
Sorry about the inadvertent dupes for a minute - posting kept givin an error message, but it DID post after all.
Phew.

drgeoff

The instructions assume that voip.ms is the only provider. Mention of Profile A is inappropriate for you with GV on SP1 and SP2. Check that you are using C with SP3.

vtsnaab

Thanks for replying Drgeoff !!
Yes, I did notice that it is C & using that in both places.
(Unless simply transposing 1 & 2 vs. A, B, C, D is not enough & I missed it ??)

Sheffield_Steve

You must set it up via the ObiTalk website portal.  NOT the local IP web server.

drgeoff

vtsnaab

I made a ticket with them & they responded, but clearly have little info pertinent to the Obi200.

My hope is that someone else here has gotten VOIP.MS to work similarly & could tell me the steps..?

Taoman

Personally, I would start over and undo everything you've done so far.
Also, Voip.ms and best practices recommend not registering to your main account. Dozens of people have had their main accounts hacked (myself included). Luckily, I had other security measures in place so I didn't get a few dozen calls to the Ukraine charged to my account. I would recommend registering your IP Phone to a sub-account.

I assume you know how the sub-account naming convention for your username works? If not, familiarize yourself with it:
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Sub_Accounts

I'm unclear why you're trying to configure this manually when you're already using OBiTALK for your GV accounts? It's a no-brainer to have OBiTALK configure the account for you. Since you're having problems I would suggest going back to using OBiTALK provisioning. Once that's done:
Blue gear icon->>SP3 blue gear icon->>OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers-->voip.ms--> select your closest POP server, enter your SIP credentials and you're off to the races.

Once you get SP3 registering to Voip.ms, if you still don't want incoming calls to your OBi then change your X_InboundCallRoute to be {}.

vtsnaab

Thanks for your wonderful reply Taoman !!
Since I 1st posted here I have done exactly as you've suggested - several times actually.
The sub-account I made is just the main & _2 sort of like what their page shows: 100000_home ("You can use alphanumeric characters for the username")

Both via the local IP & via the portal & the (very lacking...) results make zero sense to me.

The local IP setup never registered as seen here & when their support looked at their end.

When using the portal after putting the settings back to default provisioning, etc. & rebooting as needed - using their VOIP.MS setup brought only 'service not configured' and in expert the server fields both showed a red ! no matter which of their servers I then changed it to.

Just to be very clear:
Both GV lines are fine as they are;
The 1st line is set to ring - the 2nd line is set not to ring;
The outgoing preferred line is the 2nd one;
The 'new' line - if it will ever work will also be allowed to ring.

Support wanted more & more screenshots & I finally realized they are pretty much clueless about the Obi200 series, which is why I really hope someone here knows better ?!?

Thanks !!

drgeoff

Quote from: vtsnaab on September 02, 2020, 03:15:19 PM
Thanks for your wonderful reply Taoman !!
Since I 1st posted here I have done exactly as you've suggested - several times actually.
The sub-account I made is just the main & _2 sort of like what their page shows: 100000_home ("You can use alphanumeric characters for the username")

Both via the local IP & via the portal & the (very lacking...) results make zero sense to me.

The local IP setup never registered as seen here & when their support looked at their end.

When using the portal after putting the settings back to default provisioning, etc. & rebooting as needed - using their VOIP.MS setup brought only 'service not configured' and in expert the server fields both showed a red ! no matter which of their servers I then changed it to.

Just to be very clear:
Both GV lines are fine as they are;
The 1st line is set to ring - the 2nd line is set not to ring;
The outgoing preferred line is the 2nd one;
The 'new' line - if it will ever work will also be allowed to ring.

Support wanted more & more screenshots & I finally realized they are pretty much clueless about the Obi200 series, which is why I really hope someone here knows better ?!?

Thanks !!
The red exclamation marks merely indicate that fields have been changed from their default values.  They do not necessarily mean that the values are incorrect or have any sort of error.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on September 02, 2020, 03:15:19 PM
- using their VOIP.MS setup brought only 'service not configured' and in expert the server fields both showed a red ! no matter which of their servers I then changed it to.
After saving your settings the OBi dashboard will quite often show "service not configured" until it realizes you have successfully registered.
The red ! is normal! All that means is the value has been changed from the default which is what you want. So stop changing servers.

Please provide a screenshot from OBi Expert of:
Service Providers-->ITSP Profile C SIP (just the top portion of the page)

Please provide a screenshot from OBi web interface using OBi local ip address of:
System Status (scroll down far enough to show SP3 Service Status

vtsnaab

Thanks Again !!
Files attached & visible...I hope ??

Taoman

Bummer. Nothing jumping out at me.

So you used the OBiTALK system wizard and chose voip.ms and it completed without error? But after that you got the message "service not configured?"

All I can think of is you configured SP3 manually and perhaps that's causing the wizard to not complete successfully. I've configured voip.ms via the wizard on multiple OBi devices at least a dozen times without issue. I just successfully configured it again on an OBi202.

I guess I would suggest either setting all SP3 pages back to system default settings manually and then trying the wizard again or trying the wizard on SP4 which presumably has never been touched.

Anyone else have any ideas?

ProfTech

Quote from: vtsnaab on August 30, 2020, 08:51:26 PM
The Obi doesn't register at VOIP.MS.
It is a long shot but I'll take a shot. I noticed that you said the Obi is set to not register. I had something similar when I was trying to hook my 200 to a local Asterisk system. In my case there was no need to have the Obi register since both devices were on my lan and had a static IP. So I left everything blank under Sip credentials. No username, no password, nothing. All blanks. I kept getting "service not configured" and was going round and round. Finally gave up. Later I was trying something similar and got the same thing. Long story, it was as simple as putting "anonymous" in the URI field. After re-reading the help bubble I figured out it really wasn't configured when all those fields were blank. The Obi needed something in either the AuthUserName or the URI field in order to have something for its public URI.

*edited* I'm not currently using sp3 but... It was sp3 I was trying to use before and I read somewhere that sp3 shares some undisclosed settings with sp1 and that could cause weird interactions.

drgeoff

I've tried many combinations of settings.  I can get SP3 status to report all of:

1.  Disabled.
2.  Retrying register.
3.  Register failed.
4.  Registration not required
3.  Service not configured.

but the only way I got that "Service not configured" was to put nothing in the ITSP Profile C/SIP/Proxy Server box or to put nothing in the Voice Services/SP3 Service/SIP Credentials/AuthUserName box. Even putting "blah" (without the quotes) in those changed the status to something else.

DanMc85

I have my OBI200 configured for FAX with VoIP.MS and I have two OBI2182's using VoIP.MS so I am familiar with the config.

By any chance are you using regular UDP over port 5060 or did you enable Encryption in the VoIP.MS Portal advanced account settings? If yes, then you need to use port 5061 and enable SRTP.

vtsnaab

Yep, correct:
Quote from: Taoman on September 02, 2020, 08:39:58 PM
So you used the OBiTALK system wizard and chose voip.ms and it completed without error? But after that you got the message "service not configured?"

All I can think of is you configured SP3 manually and perhaps that's causing the wizard to not complete successfully. I've configured voip.ms via the wizard on multiple OBi devices at least a dozen times without issue. I just successfully configured it again on an OBi202.

I guess I would suggest either setting all SP3 pages back to system default settings manually and then trying the wizard again or trying the wizard on SP4 which presumably has never been touched.
Did that just now, no errors reported that I can see, and...and...nuttin.

The portal now says this:
QuoteSP3 (Optional) Not Configured
SP4 (Optional) voip.ms Service Not Configured

The local IP access shows no evidence that anything has been done a'tall though, but shouldn't it show the active settings ?? (I didn't change anything, just looked...)

Thanks for your reply DanMc85 - no encryption in use here.

@Drgeoff, pretty much no matter what I've done - its been the same all the time - no result & not registered at VOIP.MS.

@ProfTech:
I'm uncertain what gave that impression - it should register at the ITSP, AFAIK ?!?

This seems like loads of effort for something that should do the proverbial 'just work';
I'm very glad that SP1 & 2 are working fine though...phew.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on September 03, 2020, 05:50:21 PM

The local IP access shows no evidence that anything has been done a'tall though, but shouldn't it show the active settings ?? (I didn't change anything, just looked...)

Yes, that's the only thing that makes sense at this point. You are making changes on the portal but they aren't being recognized by your OBi.

Did you go back and re-enable all the services you disabled?
Quote from: Voip.ms wikiSystem Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> Enable : Unchecked

vtsnaab

Thanks Again Taoman.
Yes, those are enabled - rebooted several times - all continues as it has been.
Changing stuff via the portal does not seem to reach the Obi box.

I am very grateful for the attention the good folks here have given me for this.

And...
Seems like this is showing itself as a wasted effort on all our parts.

Might be best if I try using this ITSP via a spare Android wifi-only phone & straight up SIP as I only need this account for use at home anyhow.
If that works I'll just keep using it that way - else I already wasted $20 recently to keep the account & number active, sadly.

Thanks Folks.

vtsnaab

Ending this saga as described in the OP:
Ultimately I set up a spare, wifi only Android phone for this via its native SIP client.
The steps are a bit twisted at the ITSP, but it does work & will be very good a a totally movable phone for this number.

Using it at SP3 would have been better, and should have just worked - but did not & enough is enough rather than trying things over & over with zero good results.

Thanks Again to the generous folks here for your efforts !!