News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions about porting a landline and getting 911 service

Started by AstroLovesCodey, August 20, 2020, 08:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroLovesCodey

1. I know I need to port my landline to a mobile company before I can port it to Google Voice. Do I need an actual cell phone that stays charged, or is the SIM card out of an old cell phone, that is no longer connected to a plan and can't stay charged very long, enough?

2. If my old SIM card is not enough, do you have any suggestions about what the cheapest option is?

3. I plan on acquiring an Obi200. When I plug the phone port into a phone outlet built into my house walls, will all of my phones ring, like a normal phone system?

4. As far as getting E911 service goes, do you get your phone ported to Google Voice and then layer an E911 service over that? Say Obi200 + Google Voice + https://www.gv911.com/  OR   Obi200 + Google Voice + Anveo.

5. If the answer to 4 is no, is it more like either Obi200 + Anveo   OR  Obi200 + https://www.gv911.com/

FYI, I am located in Georgia, USA

drgeoff

1. You cannot port a number to or from a service provider if you are not a customer of that provider.

3. Yes you can connect an OBi to all phones provided the house wiring is properly isolated from other wiring eg a telco pair. Failure to do so is a common cause of OBis suffering irreparable damage.

4/5. 911 service is independent of GV. An OBi200 can have up to 4 services. GV will be one and your chosen 911 provider will be another.

AstroLovesCodey

Thank you for your help drgeoff! I have successfully transferred my landline and set up both GoogleVoice and gv911!  ;D

MesaSpring

I was able to transfer my landline number which was on AT&T to Google Voice using a T-Mobile sim card.  So it is possible.  They are different carriers.  You won't be able to have 911 on Google Voice unless you pay for a plan on Obitalk.com that gives it to you.  But you can still transfer your landline number.

1) You MUST have your account information for your landline.  Including a transfer pin required to migrate your landline number over.  For AT&T if you look at your billing statement.  It's the set of 4 numbers at the end of your account number.  It can also be the set of 3 numbers at the end as well.  So give them both, just in case. (But to it's usually 4 numbered one).  If in doubt call your service provider.  Tell them you want to transfer your number and you need the transfer pin.

2) Have an unlocked phone.  (You can call your carrier to have them give you the unlock code for your phone.  It's free)  OR you can purchase an unlocking code on the internet.

3) Buy a T-Mobile sim card.  I used this one since it comes with 2.  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTTCLBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4) Put the sim card in your unlocked phone.

5) Call T-Mobile NTC Department.  1-877-778-2106 or (1-800-937-8997)

6) Tell them you want a temporary number on a sim card you just purchased. Tell them you want to migrate your landline over to this new sim card.

Google Voice requires you to AUTHENTICATE your temporary phone number.  So if they offer you the (Internet $0 Dollar Plan) for the temporary number it won't work!  You need the ($3.00 Complimentary Data Plan for 30 minutes).  Or at least the cheapest possible thing to get one single phone call.  That's all you need.

7) Remind them you are transferring a number.  Give them your account information from your landline.  Including your transfer pin.

8) VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!  Ask T-Mobile to give you your new ACCOUNT NUMBER (not telephone number).  Plus have them setup a temporary pin.  Like 1234 or whatever you want.  You will need this to transfer to Google Voice!

8) Once everything is done your phone should have your landline number transferred in about 24 or 48 hours.  WAIT  for it to fully complete.

9) After 24 to 48 hours.  Go to (https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/porting/?gsessionid=qZX-kJ6G3xvgcoWRXbPLDTKazdJsMXJH) and see if you can transfer your number yet.  Don't freak out if it still No even after a few days.  You can still transfer it, with it being no.

10) Be patient and go to (https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin) and follow the instructions under "Port your Number".  The charge is $20 dollars.

11) After 24 to 48 hours your landline number will be transferred from your T-Mobile sim to Google Voice.  Tada!

drgeoff

Quote from: MesaSpring on September 24, 2020, 06:54:15 AMYou won't be able to have 911 on Google Voice unless you pay for a plan on Obitalk.com that gives it to you.
Maybe just badly worded but at face value is inaccurate on two counts.

1.  You cannot have 911 service on GV.  Period.  Any 911 service you do obtain is totally separate from and non-reliant on GV.

2.  911 service does not require "a plan on Obitalk.com".  Yes you need to configure another service provider on your device but such provider being in the list on obitalk.com is not a requirement.

MesaSpring

It was badly worded.  I meant that you can still have 911 service even when you transfer over a landline.  Though Google Voice does not provide it to you, one way to acquire it is through obitalk services.  There are plenty of other ways to do it though.  But to reassure them that they can indeed move their number over and still have 911 by utilizing other resources available.