News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 and GoogleVoice - working for years - Stopped ringing but line is active

Started by MynameisFV, September 13, 2020, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MynameisFV

So here we go... HUGE fan of OBi and its truly a set it and forget it type of device!  I ported my home number into Google like 4-5 years ago and have had this setup since then and absolutely NO issues at all.  I mean it has been working FLAWLESSLY!

Recently I started noticing a lot of voicemails in GoogleVoice and the home phone isn't ringing anymore and some folks letting me know "hey I called you and got your voicemail".  Rolling forward... Here is what I have done so far trying to troubleshoot the issue:

- Logs say PH1 is ringing
- Called from home phone to my work cell - CHECK IT WORKS!
- Call from my work cell phone to home - NO RINGING
- Log check - PH1 is ringing
- Call from work cell phone to home again and pickup the line (mind you nothing is ringing) and voila I can hear myself (ok no puns there!)

So nothing has changed from a settings standpoint... looks like the call is incoming and the line isn't ringing and my local answering machine won't answer (yes I did check the ringer.... heck I put an old school, dial-up simple no mechanics, no power, nothing fancy phone and same results!)

I'm at my wits end and this probably started over a month ago or more?  Unsure if anybody else has experienced this or has any thoughts/suggestions/ideas...   this was working, nothing changed and now the dang phone isn't ringing! 

HELP!

Thanks
FV

drgeoff

Does the phone LED (the right most LED) of the OBi200 start to blink when a call comes in and the phone should be ringing?

The OBi has an internal voltage generator to produce about 75 volts AC that phone ringers expect. Possibly that circuitry in your OBi200 has failed. If that is the case the only fix is to replace the OBi.

There is no diagnostic tool which can unequivocably confirm that failure. However you can at least do the following.

1. Dial ***1 and note the IP address read out to you.
2. Point a browser at that address and you should be prompted for username and password.
3. Username and default password are both admin.
4. In the menu on the left side click on Status.
5. Click on Phone Status. It should show "On hook".
6. Call your GV number.
7. When the phone should be ringing click again on Phone Status. What does it show?

MynameisFV

Thanks for guidance and response!

Here are the results:

- When calling my GV number, on the device, the phone LED on the right is blinking (as expected)
- On the status page it show "Ringing" (as expected)
- No sound (frustrating - as expected!)  ;D

Thoughts?
Thanks
FV

drgeoff

Quote from: MynameisFV on September 14, 2020, 06:19:05 AM
Thanks for guidance and response!

Here are the results:

- When calling my GV number, on the device, the phone LED on the right is blinking (as expected)
- On the status page it show "Ringing" (as expected)
- No sound (frustrating - as expected!)  ;D

Thoughts?
Thanks
FV
You can check the settings for Ring Pattern and Ring Voltage. But if those are at sensible values I fear a hardware failure.

Voice Services/SPx Service/X_RingProfile
Ring Settings/Ring Profile y/Ring Pattern z
Physical Interfaces/Phone Port/Ringer. Frequency, voltage, waveform.

Substitute your actual values for x (1-4), y (A or B), z (1-10)

MynameisFV

Thanks for the advice - everything looks normal so sounds like the device has bit the dust.  I'll look to purchase a replacement and get it installed.  Is there a quick "swap" option just curious - its been so long since I configured it!

Thank you for all your help.  It is truly appreciated.

Sheffield_Steve

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on September 18, 2020, 11:59:34 AM
Why can't he backup his config and import it to the new device?

Because:

1.  Adding to the dashboard must be done for each device.

2.  Backups do not include passwords.  They have to be manually re-entered.

3.  The OP is using GV.  Configuration of that on an OBi is different from an ordinary SIP ITSP. I cannot say with certainty but I expect that a "copy" from one OBi to another won't work for GV.  In which case need to do the GV setup using the one and only portal method.

Apart from the above what else has this user changed from defaults on his OBi that would take more time and effort to redo manually or copy/paste from old to new than go through the backup and import steps? 

MynameisFV

Wanted to close out the loop on this...  It was the hardware.  I ended up ordering a new OBI200 and plugged it up and setup GV on it and then deleted the old one from my account.  It was easy enough to do.  I REALLY appreciate all the advice and help!

Thanks again!