News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Eero mesh network and Obi?

Started by RobertNYC, September 20, 2020, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertNYC

Can the Obi devices w/Google Voice work with an Eero mesh network replacing a former modem+router setup? i set up my Polycom branded Obi 202 a year ago and it has worked fine. Today, we replaced our previous network and router + modem setup with an Eero Mesh network set up. The Eero Gateway device is plugged into the modem. The (Apple) router is disconnected from the modem.

My "landline" through the Obi device now shows as OFFLINE. What hardware and/or software adjustments can I make, if any, to restore my Google Voice/Obi functionality? (I did connect the Ethernet cable from the Obi device to the extra open port on the Eero device.)

drgeoff

If you had the OBi getting its IP address by DHCP (the default), have you rebooted it? (Disconnect power for 30 seconds then reconnect.

If you had configured the OBi with a static IP address it might not match the Eero network. If so redo with suitable IP parameters.

RobertNYC

Thank you for your reply. I did disconnect the power from the Obi device, but this has not helped. the

I really don't know how to configure static IPs. I did find another discussion with regard to Google Mesh devicesthat touched on this. What does this actually entail? The commenters discussed doing this, but did not explain how to proceed.

RobertNYC

I have found information online that explains assigning static IP addresses, so I think may be able to do that, though I'm not sure how to find the Obi device on the Eero network for purposes of assigning the static IP. Also, any suggestions about the physical connection between devices? All I have done is unplug the Obi from the router and plug it into the Eero Gateway device. Did I overlook something in the physical connections?

drgeoff

Quote from: RobertNYC on September 21, 2020, 09:30:07 AM
I have found information online that explains assigning static IP addresses, so I think may be able to do that, though I'm not sure how to find the Obi device on the Eero network for purposes of assigning the static IP. Also, any suggestions about the physical connection between devices? All I have done is unplug the Obi from the router and plug it into the Eero Gateway device. Did I overlook something in the physical connections?

You shouldn't need to assign a static IP address and I doubt it would solve your problem.  Unless you have disabled DHCP on the Eero (and I think you would know if you had) then DHCP should work just as well as static.

I only mentioned static in my original reply because the precise static value to be set on the RPi depends on the router model as not all use the same defaults.  Thus a static address that worked with your old router might not have been compatible with your new one (your Eero).  DHCP automatically takes care of those things.

You have an OBi202 which has two ethernet jacks.  Check that you are using the one labelled "INTERNET".  Not the "LAN" one.

What is the status of the OBi's power LED?  What response do you get to dialling ***1?  What response do you get to dialling **9 222 222 222 ?

RobertNYC

When I call ***1 I get the response: "IP Address is not available. DHCP is enabled." When I call **9 222 222 222 I get the response: " IP Address not available. Check FAQ for reason: 00"

I checked the FAQ and I don't find a link to tell me what "00" might mean.

The power light (left most) is blinking off and on, and the middle and right most (Phone 2) indicators are on in a steady state. The Phone 1 indicator and the indicator light second from left are both off. I do have the cable plugged into the LAN socket and not the INTERNET socket.

drgeoff

Quote from: RobertNYC on September 21, 2020, 12:36:01 PMI do have the cable plugged into the LAN socket and not the INTERNET socket.
There is your problem.  It should NOT be in the LAN socket.

RobertNYC

That did it! Thank you!

I'm pretty sure I always had the cable in the LAN socket. Can that NOT have been the case? Assuming I didn't go into a fugue yesterday and move the cable from INTERNET  to LAN without any reason to do so or any memory of it, is the change required because of the difference between my prior router and the mesh network device?

Whatever the case may be with my cognitive circumstances, I again thank you for taking the time and interest to help me out here!

drgeoff

Nothing to do with the change of router.  Plug in your Apple one again and connect it to the OBi202's LAN port and I guarantee you'll be back to a non-functioning state.

It is possible to use the LAN port instead of the INTERNET port by running an OBi202 in bridge mode.  However that is not the default mode and it requires deliberate action to make the change.  It does not happen by accident and it is not a trivial operation that you would have forgotten doing.

Even if somehow it was in bridge mode, it no longer is. Some manual action is required to take it out of bridge mode.  Either reverting the config setting or doing a factory reset.

So I'd be inclined to severely doubt that it was previously wired to the LAN socket.

But glad to hear that you are up and running again.

RobertNYC

Okay, it is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, etc., etc.

I really do not recall removing the cable from INTERNET to LAN on the Obi yesterday when setting up the Eero Mesh network, and neither can I guess why I would have done so. However, based on your comments, I conclude I must have done exactly that without realizing it.

Thanks, again.

swinggritty

All I have done is unplug the Obi from the router and plug it into the Eero Gateway device.
Did I overlook something in the physical connections?

drgeoff

Quote from: swinggritty on October 07, 2020, 12:55:07 AM
All I have done is unplug the Obi from the router and plug it into the Eero Gateway device.
Did I overlook something in the physical connections?
You certainly overlooked to mention why you have posted so I have to guess that your OBi was working OK previously and now is not.

If so, try removing power to the OBi for 15 seconds.

If that does not work or your issue is different please describe fully.

Swening

Yes, the Obi devices w/Google Voice can work with an Eero mesh network. The issue you're experiencing is likely due to a configuration issue with the Eero network.