News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 - volume suddenly very low, and can't dial out or use phone's keypad

Started by OhioGuy, September 21, 2020, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioGuy

We have an outgoing issue that suddenly reared its head yesterday with our Obi200.  I didn't take much notice at the time, but I have to receive a call and input a code using our OBI200/Google Voice 'landline', and it didn't seem to register the pound button.

Later today, my wife told me that she couldn't get the phone to work.  I tried it, and the dialtone volume is very, very low, and it won't dial out.  When someone else called us, however, I could very clearly and loudly hear them on the answering machine.  When I picked up, they were very faint, but could hear me fine.  Phone keypad will not dial out, though dialtone can be heard faintly.  This is using an AT&T cordless phone.

To troubleshoot, I disconnected the wired phone and answering machine, and directly tried the AT&T cordless - same issues.  I then wired the wired phone directly up to the Obihai, to make sure that the issue wasn't being caused by a problem with the phone line between the Obihai and the AT&T phone.  Same issues.  I also tried on the other AT&T second wireless handset, and it has the same issues.

Well, I happen to have a brand spanking new OBI200 in box, in case of issues like this.  I replaced the Cat5 cable, AC Adapter, and the OBI200 itself.  I then went to the OBI dashboard, and tried to add the new hardware.  I tried several times, and no go.  I was also unable to dial the * code to test it.  After numerous tries, I had been unable to add the new hardware.

I don't think it is an issue with the router, because I'm able to get on the internet, watch Netflix, and do various other things.  However, I can't seem to add the new OBI200 successfully, which is strange.

Anyone have any ideas on what might suddenly make the dialtone extremely low, and also make it so that the system doesn't accept input when trying to dial or enter keys?

Since we use this and Google Voice for 99% of our phone needs, I really need to figure this out sooner rather than later.  I thought that if I ran into any issues, I could just add the new OBI200 and go from there, but that doesn't seem to work, either.  I'm stuck!  Right now we seem to be able to get answering machine messages from incoming calls, but can't place any outgoing ones.  And if we get an incoming call where I need to push buttons on the phone, it doesn't seem to receive the phone button presses, either.

Help!  (and thanks)