News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller Name - and triggering on pattern of name with caller number's area code

Started by rob613, October 21, 2020, 04:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob613

Without Obi Extras, can anyone please explain the Caller Name data I see on my Obi200 series?

Call 1   10/20/2020    20:43:19   
20:43:19   From 'V0202043180033762777' SP1(+1[NNN]6998385)   Fork to:
PH1;(Failed: Busy)
PH2
20:43:19      Ringing
20:43:40      Call Connected
20:43:52   Call Ended   

The " 'V[NNN]' " data is frequently seen in this format on scam incoming calls that purport to be from the same area code as my Google Voice number.

The Google Voice desktop browser call history never shows this same caller name information.

Ultimately what I would like to do, as discussed in a different forum thread years ago, is trigger upon caller names of this form along with caller number in this area code and direct those calls to other than my "ph" port wired to the Obi device.

I'll be most appreciative of any help toward getting closer to such a result given the volume of these scam calls of this style.

SteveInWA

Google Voice does not subscribe to the caller ID name (CNAM) databases, and it does not send any CNAM data at all on inbound calls.  You can't process calls based on something that isn't there.

Furthermore, trying to filter calls based on the numeric caller ID is pointless, since robocallers now use neighbor spoofing or other methods of changing the calling number for every call.

rob613

Steve, even if Google Voice doesn't send CNAM data, the Obi's name field data, within the quotes, is there.
The combination of the name being a V following by a string of numbers, and the neighbor spoofing area code would be a helpful trigger.
The caller name data is there.  Any idea how I might trigger on that within an Obi, similar to how triggering on caller number by digit map is possible?

drgeoff

Quote from: rob613 on October 22, 2020, 04:24:46 PM
Steve, even if Google Voice doesn't send CNAM data, the Obi's name field data, within the quotes, is there.
The combination of the name being a V following by a string of numbers, and the neighbor spoofing area code would be a helpful trigger.
The caller name data is there.  Any idea how I might trigger on that within an Obi, similar to how triggering on caller number by digit map is possible?
1. OBis do not support any Inbound Call Routeing using CNAM. Period.

2.  Does the Call History at your GV account (not your OBi) show these calls?  If not, they are coming directly to your OBi.  For mitigating measures search this forum for 'sip scanners'.

rob613

Yes, the GV log shows the calls, just devoid of any caller-name information.
Bummer that the OBI cannot trigger on name.
I hope that Poly will accept this as a feature request.

drgeoff

Quote from: rob613 on October 23, 2020, 01:16:28 PM
Yes, the GV log shows the calls, just devoid of any caller-name information.
Bummer that the OBI cannot trigger on name.
I hope that Poly will accept this as a feature request.
I don't expect any new features will be added to OBi ATAs.  ATAs are a legacy product.  I expect Poly will continue production of the existing 200 and 300 series models while they still sell in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile.  I don't envisage new models either.  Happy if the future proves me wrong.