News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Force G729 on OBi110?

Started by N7AS, October 22, 2011, 02:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N7AS

I have a friend that recently moved to an area in NC that requires him to get his internet access from HughesNet Satellite. His download speeds are not that good, maybee 100 to 150 Kbps. He has NetTalk and tried it with this setup and with poor results. He can hear me fine, but when he talks, all I hear is broken audio. He has an OBi110, and I helped him set it up over the phone. We can talk ok endpoint to endpoint. I configured a Callcentric Freedom account remotely using the expert config. Got the same results. Broken audio from him, but he heard me fine on his end. I also setup his GoogleVoice with the same results. I got thinking about the codec being used is G711 and was wondering if it would be better to try G729 as it consumes much less bandwidth. My question is how can I force G729 on the OBi110?

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Stewart

Quote from: N7AS on October 22, 2011, 02:43:01 AMMy question is how can I force G729 on the OBi110?
Codecs->Codec Profile A, uncheck Enable for both G711U and G711A.  

While a call is in progress, view the Call Status page and confirm that G.729 is being used in both directions. Possibly, increasing PacketizationPeriod for G729 to 30 or even 40 or 60 (whatever CC will accept) will help.  Skype (SILK codec) might do a little better yet. However, IMHO, he still won't be happy with the results.

Can he get fixed wireless Internet?  See http://www.wispdirectory.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=18&Itemid=53 , but also check other sources, as that list is incomplete.

VoIP over cellular data (if he can get it) is usually not great, but generally much better than satellite.

If your buddy is also a ham, he probably has a tower that may help with fixed wireless or cellular Internet.

Can he get POTS?  There is usually an inexpensive option, typically called lifeline, basic, low-use or measured, where you pay per minute for even local calls.  However, using GV callback, he could call for free.

What cellular voice options does he have?

If good Internet service is available, not too far from him, perhaps he can rig his own wireless bridge.