News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Faxing with OBi unreliable compared to AT&T VoIP?

Started by MrTom, October 02, 2020, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTom

I'm trying to send a test fax out on my OBi w/GV, and I'm having difficulty and getting comm errors and slow handshake negotiations. Rarely does the fax complete without error through hardwired ethernet.

I have AT&T DSL U-verse internet 17Mbps and 2-line phone bundle. I can log into the AT&T website and modify a lot of phone options, forwarding, callerid, block numbers, block my number on outgoing calls, answering system, and a lot more. Does this mean my phone lines are using VoIP? My AT&T modem has only one RJ11 cable from the wall to the modem, and the modem has ethernet and a 2 line phone jack that I have my phones plugged into.

I get great faxing through my AT&T phone line. I've sent probably 80 or more faxes in the last year to probably 40-50 different phone numbers with 99.99% success.

I know my AT&T upload is 1Mbps, which may or may not cause some issue with OBi. But I've also tested using a secondary local wireless internet company where I can get variable uploads up to 20Mbps. Both internet services result in the same issues. And I believe even receiving faxes has issues too.

Has anyone known an AT&T modem with an RJ11 port to the wall jack to actually use the copper for DSL internet and POTS? I've always thought my phones were VoIP with all the enhanced services I get online. But I do get great faxing through them too.

My Verifone VX520 credit card processing machine works great over the AT&T phone line too, but very slow and errors out while using the OBi. I've tried an OBi200 and an OBi202, both the same issue with the same latest/last firmware. I don't think my monitored alarm system likes the OBi either.

I know this isn't the AT&T forum, but I'm hoping for a bridge of information between the digital services.