News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202, buzz on line 2

Started by skipro, August 17, 2020, 05:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro

I have a buzz on line 2, line1 is ok. Dial tone and the call has the buzz.
Tried different phone and cable, same result.
If I switch same cable from line 1, no buzz, to line 2 on Obi, I get buzz.

Started about 2 weeks ago.
Again, line 1 on Obi is ok.

tonyzzz

I'm a electronics engineer. I can tell you how to fix the buzzing sound in your OBI device. The power supply does not have adequate AC 60hz filtering.  All you need to do is ground the outer shield of the DC power adapter. Once you ground negative connection of the DC adapter the buzz will be gone forever. 

Good Luck
Tony

Moonwalker

Quote from: tonyzzz on October 24, 2020, 02:37:43 AM

I'm a electronics engineer. I can tell you how to fix the buzzing sound in your OBI device. The power supply does not have adequate AC 60hz filtering.  All you need to do is ground the outer shield of the DC power adapter. Once you ground negative connection of the DC adapter the buzz will be gone forever. 

Good Luck
Tony

Respectfully, since you are an electronics engineer, he said line one is fine. Pretty sure if it an issue with the power supply it would be affecting both lines, not just one.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Moonwalker on November 02, 2020, 06:26:37 PM
Quote from: tonyzzz on October 24, 2020, 02:37:43 AM

Good Luck
Tony

Respectfully, since you are an electronics engineer, he said line one is fine. Pretty sure if it an issue with the power supply it would be affecting both lines, not just one.

...and, aside from that, there is no "outer shield".  There is a completely unshielded, flat pair of wires, as on a typical lamp cord.

This symptom can be caused by several things, but the most likely culprit is the power supply for the telephone plugged into the telephone jack for line 2.  For example, old office-style desk phones or cordless phones used transformers in their power "wall warts", instead of modern switching power supplies.  If the power supply feels heavier than usual, then there's your likely culprit.