News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling VOIP.ms via SIP URL not working

Started by JaskHill, October 19, 2020, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaskHill

Hi, I found that calling VOIP.ms via SIP URL not work reliably.

I created a sub-account under my VOIP.ms main account, and tried to call it using SIP URL according to VOIP.ms wiki page, from another SIP account ( from another provider, say SIP2SIP ). But my VOIP.ms sub-account never rings.

I also purchased a VOIP.ms virtual SIP number ( at a monthly cost of $0.25 ). But again calling my VOIP.ms account via such SIP URL is not working either. The phone never rings.

Do people have any idea?

Is it that VOIP.ms implicitly only allows/encourages incoming calls via traditional DID, and silently rejects incoming calls via SIP despite what they claimed on their web site/wiki page?

drgeoff

Have you tried asking voip.ms?

Are you sure that whatever you are calling from is able/configured to make SIP URL calls?

Taoman

Quote from: JaskHill on October 19, 2020, 11:06:08 AM

I also purchased a VOIP.ms virtual SIP number ( at a monthly cost of $0.25 ). But again calling my VOIP.ms account via such SIP URL is not working either. The phone never rings.

I use SIP URI (not SIP URL) with my Voip.ms account daily. I have regular DIDs and also a virtual DID and SIP URI works flawlessly with all of them. I can assure you Voip.ms does not reject incoming SIP URI calls.

My guess is you're using the wrong syntax. Please post exact syntax you're using (changing phone/account numbers).

Do any of the attempted SIP URI calls show up in the Voip.ms CDR record? If not, it is almost assuredly a syntax problem.

JaskHill

I followed this instruction:
        https://wiki.voip.ms/article/SIP_URI#Using_your_sub_account_internal_extension

Let's say my main account is: 123456, and I created a sub-account:  123456_1. The internal extension I assigned to it is: 1.

I tried to call this sub-account ( from another SIP account ), using all kinds of syntax. But none of them work.

1234561@toronto.voip.ms
        123456101@toronto.voip.ms
        123456_1@toronto.voip.ms

drgeoff

Quote from: JaskHill on October 20, 2020, 09:17:35 AM
I followed this instruction:
        https://wiki.voip.ms/article/SIP_URI#Using_your_sub_account_internal_extension

Let's say my main account is: 123456, and I created a sub-account:  123456_1. The internal extension I assigned to it is: 1.

I tried to call this sub-account ( from another SIP account ), using all kinds of syntax. But none of them work.

1234561@toronto.voip.ms
        123456101@toronto.voip.ms
        123456_1@toronto.voip.ms

But as I asked above. Are you sure that whatever you are calling from is able/configured to make SIP URI calls?

JaskHill

I can use this calling SIP account to call any other SIP address without issue, like the following ones:
        thetestcall@iptel.org
        thetestcall@sip.linphone.org
        thetestcall@opensips.org

I also have a CallCentric SIP account registered in my OBI box, and I can call this CallCentric SIP account from that SIP calling account successfully.

I guess VOIP.ms's server must be very aggressive and overzealous in filtering out any incoming calls that they think are suspicious/SPAM calls. But unfortunately their (imperfect) filtering algorithm must have blocked a few legitimate incoming calls.

drgeoff

Taoman

Quote from: JaskHill on October 20, 2020, 09:17:35 AM

I just tested using the internal extension method that you are trying and all I got was a busy signal. This used to work fine for me but I never used it since you get no call handling, CNAM, filtering, etc.
Is there a reason you're trying this method instead of straight to PSTN DID or Virtual DID.

I just tested both the methods below and they worked fine for me. Here is the syntax I used:

4255551234@seattle3.voip.ms (for the PSTN DID)
11100000123@seattle3.voip.ms (for virtual DID)

Log into your Callcentric account and navigate to Click 2 Dial. Put in your SIP URI number/address and see if your phone will ring. You won't be able to actually connect the call unless you have a second line/number. But if the phone rings you'll know it's working.

JaskHill

Thanks for all the help!  I think I have found the reason.

In my OBI box, it says SPx is registered ( for my VOIP.ms account ).  But in the VOIP.ms web site, I found "No Registration Found".  Very strange. Not sure why.

I restarted my OBI box, and ensure I saw "Registered" in the VOIP.ms web site. Then I can call my VOIP.ms sub-account using SIP-way successfully.

This registration-status-discrepency ( between my local OBI box and the VOIP.ms site ) never happens to my CallCentric account in that same OBI box.