News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it ok to use a wireless router?

Started by otherwhirl, October 23, 2011, 01:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherwhirl

Please forgive if this sounds very noobish, but I currently don't have a router (gonna buy one this week...)

I was gonna buy a wireless router for my laptop anyway, will this be efficient for connecting obi110 as well, or is a non wireless recommended?

Thanks

Stewart

The vast majority of OBi users have wireless routers.  Even if you don't normally use the wireless function, it's useful e.g. to allow a guest in your home to connect to the Internet, or to temporarily use your computer in another room. You should be sure that the wireless function is set up securely, so neighbors don't freeload off your connection, which could degrade the voice quality of your OBi, and possibly get you in trouble if they do illegal downloads.  If you are really paranoid, disable the wireless function when you are not actually using it.

If you are on a very tight budget and don't foresee a need for wireless, you can probably find a used wired router at a very low price.  One of your friends may even have an old one to give you.  Also, a few people are disturbed by the radiation from routers and other wireless devices.  Otherwise, get one with wireless.

otherwhirl

Ok great.

Funny thing is I actually GAVE away an old wired router I was holding for years. :-\

Gonna get a wireless today, I can't wait! :)

Radiation?? Can a wireless router REALLY emit that much radiation in the home? Shit I hope not!

Dale

The Obi boxes do not connect with wifi. They have to be plugged into an internet connection.

Do get a wireless router - with some router ports on the back. You will plug your Obi into the router and use the wifi for other stuff.

RonR

Quote from: Dale on October 23, 2011, 09:17:16 AM
The Obi boxes do not connect with wifi. They have to be plugged into an internet connection.

An OBi can be connected wirelessly with the addition of a wireless Ethernet bridge.

otherwhirl

So this means if I purchase a wireless router I need to additionally purchase a bridge?

Quote from: RonR on October 23, 2011, 09:33:11 AM
Quote from: Dale on October 23, 2011, 09:17:16 AM

An OBi can be connected wirelessly with the addition of a wireless Ethernet bridge.

RonR

Quote from: otherwhirl on October 23, 2011, 10:56:24 AM
So this means if I purchase a wireless router I need to additionally purchase a bridge?

Only if you wish to connect the OBi to your wireless router using a wireless connection.

If you're going to connect the OBi to your wireless router using an Ethernet cable, nothing else is required.

Dale

Obi boxes do not connect to wifi.

Using a wifi bridge is like saying you can connect it to something else (not wireless) which does connect to wifi.

Get yourself a router that has both wifi and wired ports. Lots of things now use wifi (printers, phones, web cams, laptops) - for the Obi you need something to plug it into. How that device gets internet access is irrelevant.