News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

router issues

Started by jsgoti, October 23, 2011, 10:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsgoti

So I just received my Ob110 in the mail yesterday.  I set it up to work with GV and everything worked fine for about 4 hours.  Then, while my kid was watching Barney on Netflix the wireless router reset itself (0.0.0.0) and I haven't been able to get the thing back to working order yet (I'm writing this on the LAN connection, after having reset my computer's IP...that was messed up too for some reason).  I have removed the Obi110 hardware from its connections, reset the router (linksys WRT120N) settings back to factory settings, disabled the firewall, and removed all wireless security (no WPA2, etc.), and refreshed the IP address (its showing that the router has a good IP now).  The router is running DHCP, no static or reserved IP addresses, and no QoS setup.  So, in summary, I have a computer that has a good LAN connection, and a wireless router that has a good IP address but when I try to connect to the internet...the router is telling me that there is no TCP/IP connection (i.e. the modem is down).  What's going on here?  I've had this router for over a year and haven't had a problem like this before?  Did Obi110 change something in the router, computer, modem, or am I just missing something?  :-\

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm really excited about the Obi but this is killing my spirits.
J

DrJay

The OBI definitely didn't change your router settings. It's just another client like your computer.

Is there an updated firmware for your model of router? Check the manufacturer's site and if there is, update it.

I'm assuming that you cycled power on your modem at some point also, right? Disconnect its power cord, leave it off for a minute and then power it back up?

jsgoti

Quote from: DrJay on October 23, 2011, 03:47:32 PM
The OBI definitely didn't change your router settings. It's just another client like your computer.

Is there an updated firmware for your model of router? Check the manufacturer's site and if there is, update it.

I'm assuming that you cycled power on your modem at some point also, right? Disconnect its power cord, leave it off for a minute and then power it back up?

check and check...updated the router firmware and cycled the power (several times).  no improvement.  Here's an update.  Today I was able to get the LAN and the WLAN both working...without the Obi110 hooked up.  As I said before, to get the LAN working I had to do an IP reset on the computer itself.  To get the WLAN working, I had to reset/ refresh the IP on the router itself, then power cycle both the modem and router. So now I'm back at square one.  No Obi110 yet but also no problem connecting to the internet (LAN or WLAN). I'm going to try a static IP to see if that helps.  I don't understand why DHCP would be suspect but I'm willing to give it a go.  I'll be back...