News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric question :

Started by bobbobbob, October 24, 2011, 03:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbobbob

Hi,

Of the people using Callcentric.. any thoughts on them?.. complaints?... has anyone had issues with Google Voice.. and changed over to them.. and things got better? :)..

or in regards to the other VOIP providers other than GV... which seems to be the best quality for the money?.. the rates seem to all be the same.. .02 a min.... i didnt like that Callcentric doesnt let you at least pick from some numbers... but not a huge deal..

thanks JB

ProfTech

I have been using Callcentric since around Feb 1 and have been pretty happy with the service. I have tweaked a few settings in the Obi that seem to have made things more stable and have been through numerous firmware updates in the Obi but things have settled down. One thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that Callcentric charges an extra fee for incoming calls. I don't think any of the others do that but most of my calls are outgoing so I can live with it for now. They do seem to have good call quality most of the time and have been pretty responsive when I have opened a support ticket. I think most of my issues ultimately came down to the Obi firmware before the latest releases.

Shivers

I've had Callcentric for over 2 years (since AT&T CallVantage went belly-up) and rate it 5 stars and two thumbs up. Their incoming and outgoing plans are priced separately. If you have an Obi and GV you can use that for your outgoing and just order the Callcentric unlimited incoming and also configure that on your Obi. I've had the same phone# for 23 years and ported it to Callcentric, signed up for the unlimited incoming @ $5.95 plus $1.50 for e911, and my total phone bill is $7.45 per month. If you search through this forum you'll find an excellent post by RonR explaining how to set up the OBI with Callcentric and GV, and a dial plan to ensure you can call e911 if needed. Good luck.

Stewart

Quote from: ProfTech on October 25, 2011, 12:05:45 PMOne thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that Callcentric charges an extra fee for incoming calls.
In addition to CC's Personal Unlimited numbers as noted by Shivers, there are numerous free or inexpensive third-party options for US numbers that can ring to your Callcentric service.  Some require also getting a free iNum from Callcentric.  Quality / reliability / support ratings are my personal opinion.

1. IPKall.  Free.  Washington state numbers only.  Not the most reliable, no support, number canceled if unused for 30 days.  Multiple channels.  Outbound not available.

2. VoxOx.  Free.  Limited choice of numbers.  False answer supervision.  Forward to iNum. $0.01/min. outbound.

3. Anveo "Value".  $2 setup + $0.99/mo.  First 40 minutes / day free, then $0.015/min.  Excellent quality, reliability and support. $0.01/min. outbound.

4. Localphone.  $3 setup + $0.99/mo., no charge for calls.  Two channels.  Forward to iNum.  Decent quality, reliability and support, but not the best.  $0.005/min. outbound to most US numbers.

I don't recommend any of the above as a replacement for Callcentric; none offer 911.

There are many other not listed here.

In addition to any dedicated DIDs you may have, a Callcentric number can be reached (at no cost to the CC user) via any SIPBroker access number, via any iNum access number (if you have an iNum), or via any Localphone access number (if the caller is registered on your Localphone account).

bigcat

Been using them for 3 years now, and I have never had a problem. Technical support has always responded promptly. Bottom line..5 out of 5 STARS :)

lhm.

Voip.ms is also one to consider, very competitive on price and quality of service is very good. IMO

Needhelp

How does call centric work exactly. Like when you make an outgoing call how does it know when to use gv and when to use call centric?

RonR

Needhelp,

The OBi has a PrimaryLine setting that selects which trunk (SP1, SP2, PSTN, or OBiTALK) to use as the default for outgoing calls.  To use an alternated trunk, you dial a prefix first:

**1  ->  SP1 Service
**2  ->  SP2 Service
**8  ->  PSTN Line
**9  ->  OBiTALK Service

It's also possible to have the OBi route calls to a particular trunk based on the pattern of the number.  For example, you could route everything to SP1 except:

011+  ->  SP2 Service
800+  ->  PSTN Line

Needhelp

Am I understanding correct... Before you would dial 911 you would have to do **etc?
Tia

RonR

Quote from: Needhelp on November 01, 2011, 08:08:42 PM
Am I understanding correct... Before you would dial 911 you would have to do **etc?

911 is configured to go out the PSTN Line by default, but the default can be changed.  It's also possible to override the default with **n.