News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing Ethernet speed on my router interrupts obi202

Started by talkedout, November 28, 2020, 09:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talkedout

In order to get faster Ethernet speed on my desktop, I changed the speed setting for the Ethernet ports on my router, a Pepwave Surf SOHO MK 3. I changed the setting from auto to 1gbs full duplex. When I went to use my phone, it had a dial tone but when I dialed I got a message, something like IP address not valid or not working. I do need my Ethernet to be faster on my desktop to use telehealth providers, but I also want my Obi box to work.

If anyone has any suggestions. Thank you

Sheffield_Steve

I don't have a obi202, but I think the network interface is a maximum of 100mbs.

Use a switch if you want full gigabit speed to your desktop

p.s. Gigabit internet should always be set to auto.

Taoman

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on November 29, 2020, 06:38:03 AM

Use a switch if you want full gigabit speed to your desktop

p.s. Gigabit internet should always be set to auto.

^^Couldn't agree more.

QuoteThe autonegotiation protocol was significantly extended in the gigabit Ethernet standard, and is mandatory for 1000BASE-T gigabit Ethernet over twisted pair.*

*paraphrased from Wikipedia

talkedout

Thank you very much for the information. I did change the settings back to auto and all is working properly. Would either of you know a good place to find information about adding a switch? Am I assuming you would set the router to gigabit, and the have the obi box on a switch that would limit that connection to 100mbs?

Sheffield_Steve

It's really simple.  Just buy an unmanaged gigabit switch, probably for less than $20 for your application.

The switch connects your devices with each other including the router.

i.e. Just plug the router, the PC the Obi202 and anything else you have into the switch.

Make sure all devices (including the router) are set to auto negotiate, not gigabit.

The switch will take care of the speeds by checking with each device connected.  You don't need to do anything except set it back to auto if you changed it.

Sheffield_Steve

Let me revisit this:

You have a Pepwave Router with multiple ports.

Plug all your devices into those "LAN" ports and set the router to auto-negotiate.  Then you will get the fastest speed possible on each device