News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't add to dashboard

Started by Wayne_for_Obi, December 09, 2020, 01:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: marshallwcso on December 15, 2020, 10:31:15 AM
i have an obi508  the 8 line ata.   still no luck adding to dashboard. I've been trying for hours.  i have all ports forwarded as per instructions.  i have 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 dns.  any other ideas. 

is there any other way to program this device.. any other voip provider for me to manually program on to the device.. this is for a Sherriff office and we need it for backup admin lines on a 911 system. They are breathing down my neck to get this thing going... I wish I didn't even suggest obi at this point.... so frustrating
I've already been told you that if you don't need Goggle Voice you can also configure other ITSPs without adding the OBi to a dashboard.  Why do you keep asking?

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 10, 2020, 07:14:50 AM
Quote from: LanMan on December 10, 2020, 06:40:45 AM
Plus you don't know if we are just wasting our time trying and re-trying it for hours.

Has anyone gotten anything official from PolyCom???

If what is reported by marshallwcso in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17663.msg106071#msg106071 is an from an official source, it appears to be the only response from Poly.  

I would not assume that the answer given applies to adding ANY OBiTALK device to the portal.  Rather, the 508 models have had various problems attaching to the portal and/or registering with Google Voice, and that has been going on all year.

marshallwcso

steve.. what are my options then to get the 508 going?

marshallwcso

ok i would like google voice...  but what other provider could i use if i programed it manually

SteveInWA

Any SIP VoIP provider you wish can be used, as long as they will give you the SIP credentials for your account.  Some providers are closed ecosystems, requiring that you use their equipment.

Do some research.  Here on the forum, many of us like Callcentric and voip.ms, but there are plenty of others.

jklpe

Also not able to add a device to the dashboard. Tried all the troubleshooting steps and have tried several times a day to add the device for a week now. Seems like this is a constant issue. If the device is ever added, will it just work after that or should I return it while I can?

drgeoff

Quote from: jklpe on December 18, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
Also not able to add a device to the dashboard. Tried all the troubleshooting steps and have tried several times a day to add the device for a week now. Seems like this is a constant issue. If the device is ever added, will it just work after that or should I return it while I can?
Once working, making and receiving calls* does not use servers or facilities operated by or on behalf of Obihai/Poly.

* except calls made to other Obi devices over the Obitalk network, ie by dialling **9 followed by the 9 digit OBi number.

mpotratz

Just wanted to chime in, how I got my OBi202 working since I found this thread when I was having trouble setting up my new device.

Basically the advice in other posts holds true just continue trying. After around 15 attempts over the course of an hour it finally didn't time out and my device showed up in the dashboard.

I ended up trying a ton of unnecessary steps like bypassing my router to eliminate firewall, manually setting DNS etc. In my case right from the start I was able to use the test number 222 with no issues I just couldn't add to the dashboard. Hope this reply helps others.

KiwiP

Quote from: HankL on December 10, 2020, 08:30:49 PM
First, try to disable your firewall.  Next open port 10000 (TCP/UDP) in your router.  I found that after my OBi device was added to the dashboard, the port could be closed.  Seems odd, but perhaps after the server registers the OBi device it no longer needs to contact it? 

I'm able to call out and receive calls via GV.  My router is a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 and I used port forwarding in the advanced setup.

This just worked for me. After a few days of trying the **5 procedure, I disabled port 10000 on my firewall and the first **5 procedure registered and configured to Google Voice...  :) :)

Bridge

Was in a bit of a panic but after reading the forum posts, KEPT TRYING. Kept the Google Voice option un-checked. It took about 10-12 of the **5xxxxx routines but it finally caught. Then I connected Google Voice , no problem. I can now call out directly. I will need to do some fun things later to get a Google Voice number, through google because I am in Canada but for now, can order pizza using the old handset.

KEEP TRYING... If it is any help I finally got through around 11pm on a weekday. ;D

Redbeard

I couldn't sleep so tried mine at 2am. Here's what worked for me. I waited for each device to fully boot before I did the next step.

• Unplug my wifi router from my cable modem
  • reboot my cable modem
  • Hook the Obi202 directly to the cable modem
  • Hook my PC to the LAN port of the Obi202
  • Tried again, making sure to not check the option for Google Voice
  • second time dialing the **5 code worked
  • configured Google Voice
  • powered everything off
  • Booted cable modem
  • plugged in WiFi router and powered it on
  • plugged PC back into WiFi router
  • Plugged Obi202 into WiFi router on the WAN port
  • Made a few test calls and my Google Voice account was working

volkswagner

Obihai never had good support prior to Polycom purchasing.
They don't even support ITSP accounts which help sell
their product line.

They use extortion methods to get firmware updates (like other vendors so not alone here)!

Well enough rant and on to the topic.

The adoption of devices is totally broken. I've had
regular trouble getting devices added to my ITSP (obitalk)
account. Normally I can just disable a common firewall
rule to allow adding the device.
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all from WAN - need to disable this for obitalk adoption" in-interface=ether1

The above is the last input rule to block all bad stuff not specifically allowed.

I recently tried activating at a customer location with a bone-stock Netgear consumer router.
It failed to connect. The echo test worked (of course). I then spent another 15-20 min dancing
around with router reboots, adding obi200 to DMZ and even direct connection to the Modem.
Um, no go... so either Comcast is blocking or Polycom is doing some really bad stuff.

Has anyone run Wireshark to see what is actually happening (what type of
connection the Obitalk portal is expecting from the Obixxx device)? Does Polycom
document what ports need to WFO for this to work?

Yes, let's blow up Poly's Twitter @PolyCompany how about some support?!!

drgeoff

The problem is almost certainly at the Obihai/Poly infrastructure/server end.  Not the end user's device nor access to the internet including ports.  As many posters here attest, after multiple, maybe tens of, attempts without making any local changes they do succeed.

gginsberg

I just got these notifications in quick succession. So what are the chances one of these maintenance events will resolve (or put a band aid) on the issue  ::) :

Start: MAR 18, 02:00 UTC (1hr)
Systems affected: Device Management Servers (Server 10, Server 11, Server 12, Domain Management Service).

Start: Mar 20, 16:00 UTC (4hrs)
Systems affected: Rest API Service, Portal Service and Device Management Servers (Server 1, Server 2, Server 3, Server 4, Server 5, Server 6, Server 7, Server 8, Server 9, Server 10, Server 11, Server 12, Domain Management Service).

Start: Mar 25, 02:00 UTC (1hr)
Rest API Service and Portal Service.

Start: Mar 27, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 1, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 3, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 8, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 10, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 15, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

drgeoff

Quote from: gginsberg on March 17, 2021, 12:44:49 PM
I just got these notifications in quick succession. So what are the chances one of these maintenance events will resolve (or put a band aid) on the issue  ::) :

Start: MAR 18, 02:00 UTC (1hr)
Systems affected: Device Management Servers (Server 10, Server 11, Server 12, Domain Management Service).

Start: Mar 20, 16:00 UTC (4hrs)
Systems affected: Rest API Service, Portal Service and Device Management Servers (Server 1, Server 2, Server 3, Server 4, Server 5, Server 6, Server 7, Server 8, Server 9, Server 10, Server 11, Server 12, Domain Management Service).

Start: Mar 25, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Mar 27, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 1, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 3, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 8, 02:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 10, 16:00 UTC (1hr)

Start: Apr 15, 02:00 UTC (1hr)
Well one can always hope but there have been quite a few scheduled maintenance events in the last couple of months which have not provided any noticeable improvement.

SteveInWA

There is no magic solution.

I bought one of the certified refurbished OBi 200s from Woot last week.  OF course, upon attempting to add it to my portal, it failed repeatedly.  No surprise.  I sent a note to obi.support@poly.com.  I got back a useless canned response.  I'm going to post it below, with my answers inline, for your amusement.

I had insomnia last night, so, in the wee hours of darkness, I hooked it up again, upgraded its firmware manually, set it to use Google DNS, and tried to add it to my portal.  I lost count of how many times I tried, but it was in the hundreds.  No go.  My next test is going to be attaching it directly to my fiber optic ONT's Ethernet output, which is wide open, no firewall.  It should get a public IP address.  If that fails, it will shoot down all the BS about opening ports, DMZ, etc.  I am also pretty sure that the "un-check the Google Voice box" suggestion is simply copying one user's random experiment that coincidentally happened to work, and now Poly has adopted it as "official" advice.

Subject: Re: Poly Case Number 28871867    [  ]
[External Email]

Absolutely none the suggestions you provided solve the problem.

1- Make sure to recheck all (physical) connections.  Yes, everything is firmly connected.

2- Make sure to connect the Ethernet cable to the blue INTERNET port on the OBi device and direct to router.  Yes.

3- No switch, nor extender, nor hub connected. If needed, restart router and modem, Correct.  No help.

4. Kindly share led status, is it solid green or blinking:  LEDs are normal.  Left=on solid.  Middle=indicating traffic.  Right=off when on-hook, blinking when off-hook/on-call.

5- The OBi200 ATA Device and make sure there is dial tone, then dial **9 222 222 222 Echo Test and ensure echo test is successful. Kindly share test result to assist you further.   Yes, the echo test works fine.

6- Kindly share your Obi number.  OBi number = xxx xxx xxx  MAC = xxxxxxxxxxxx

Note : Would like to inform you that there is a on going intermittent issue with ***5, Please check below link in order to get more information :-

=>https://www.poly.com/us/en/support/knowledge-base/kb-article-page?type=Troubleshooting__kav&lang=en_US&urlName=KB24053&t=All&k=

Please refer below mentioned steps in order add device :-

1. Login to your OBitalk account

2. Uncheck " i want to configure google voice account" kindly refer attached file.

3. Complete the process

​Again:  NONE of these steps solves the problem.  I have five other OBi devices on my network, added over the past decade.  All work.  I've been doing this for many years, and I am an advanced user.  This is not a user error.

The case number for your reference is 28871867. If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Update:

I connected the OBi 200 directly to my ISP with no intervening router nor firewall at all (dangerous for computers, but not much of a risk in this specific case).  It obtained a public IP address and the ISP's DNS.  It still doesn't register with the portal...after dozens of attempts.

I want to emphasize:  any advice to add the device to the router's DMZ or open ports is not going to solve this problem.  The problem is entirely on the provisioning servers.

gginsberg

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 17, 2021, 02:28:28 PM
There is no magic solution.

Update:

I connected the OBi 200 directly to my ISP with no intervening router nor firewall at all (dangerous for computers, but not much of a risk in this specific case).  It obtained a public IP address and the ISP's DNS.  It still doesn't register with the portal...after dozens of attempts.

I want to emphasize:  any advice to add the device to the router's DMZ or open ports is not going to solve this problem.  The problem is entirely on the provisioning servers.

Exact same circumstances (reconditioned unit from Woot (Amazon) for me. I also connected directly to my FIOS ONT. No joy, and no humor left after receiving the same canned messages (at least mine has a different case#  ;D ) Although new to Obihai's devices, I'm been in the IT & mobility biz for years and that it looks like this has been going on for 2+ years really is not acceptable. The fact that OBI staff cannot register devices when they have everything they should need (OBI#, MAC address, Serial#) just leaves me flummoxed.

I wonder how many of those "reconditioned" units were simply returns because Obihai's registration system has been FUBAR'd for so long.

TFSJ

Appreciate this thread. 1st time Obihai owner. Was pulling my hair out trying to setup a new OBI202. Almost gave up and sent it back to Amazon.

Same scenario as others: Able to call out to the test number, couldn't add the device, was able to connect to the device admin page, tried various resets, deleting, etc. Then somehow device was added (not after the 15s on the add page)?!? But when trying to setup GV service I was getting "Offline", and service not set-up when I tried calling out. Tried adding the ports to my router - still no go. Finally checked the forum and found this thread. Started brute forcing it. Nothing was working, so went away for a few hours and then it finally showed "Connected"! Both GV accounts I added earlier were working too. Not sure if it was the brute forcing or if I finally got lucky and connected to the server. Pretty bad experience setting up. Frustrating when the instructions don't work. Will avoid modifying the device configuration and hopefully it will be stable going forward.

Just wanted to let folks who follow that the problem is still there...

SteveInWA

Quote from: TFSJ on March 18, 2021, 10:12:25 PM
Appreciate this thread. 1st time Obihai owner. Was pulling my hair out trying to setup a new OBI202. Almost gave up and sent it back to Amazon.

Same scenario as others: Able to call out to the test number, couldn't add the device, was able to connect to the device admin page, tried various resets, deleting, etc. Then somehow device was added (not after the 15s on the add page)?!? But when trying to setup GV service I was getting "Offline", and service not set-up when I tried calling out. Tried adding the ports to my router - still no go. Finally checked the forum and found this thread. Started brute forcing it. Nothing was working, so went away for a few hours and then it finally showed "Connected"! Both GV accounts I added earlier were working too. Not sure if it was the brute forcing or if I finally got lucky and connected to the server. Pretty bad experience setting up. Frustrating when the instructions don't work. Will avoid modifying the device configuration and hopefully it will be stable going forward.

Just wanted to let folks who follow that the problem is still there...

It is never necessary to post the same answer in multiple discussions.  Anyone who clicks "Show unread posts since last visit" will see the reply wherever it is.

volkswagner

Well I spent a fair bit of time on this again. I'm no packet sniffer expert but here's what I've found so far.

It seems when trying dialing the **5 xxxx code, the obi device reaches out to 54.241.160.4
on port 443. It never hears back from this address. I can't telnet to this IP on 443, so it's no
surprise there's no reply.

The obi also reaches out to 13.52.69.0 on UDP 10xxxx. I see ICMP destination host unreachable
source=13.52.69.0 dest=ipOfMyObi. This is odd because I can ping my obi from lan and I can
also ping 13.52.69.0. I tried forwarding all traffic from13.52.69.0 and 54.241.160.4 to my obi.
I must have something wrong for the icmp request to come back to my workstation though as
it was expected to forward to my obi.

Still searching but I really wish Polycom would fix this issue!