News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anemic ring on OBi200

Started by awara, December 18, 2020, 11:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awara

New Obi200+ GV user since Nov 3 2020. Migrated from 12+ years of using Ooma. Physical setup was essentially swapping the Ooma device with the Obi200 device. No other physical changes needed.

Since day 1, inbound calls have an anemic ring. The first ring is fine and then the ring is broken and weak....as if on death bed and can barely speak. Caller hears normal ringing sound.

Details:
Internet - Strong and reliable with 200 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up.
Router: TPLink router. Obihai directly connected to TPLink router which in turn is connected to ISP provided cable modem
Obihai 200: All three lights solid green. Phone splitter connects the Obi to a Nortel desk phone and to builder installed phone wiring (circa 1998). No changes to phone wiring since house was built. Same phone wiring supported land line provider (SouthWestern Bell), and then Ooma and now Obi. Four handset cordless Panasonic phone base station is connected to the house wiring.
Obi200 service with Callcentric: Inbound and outbound calls work fine
Anemic phone ring issue: Started from Day 1 (if I recall it correctly)

I can live with the anemic ring but prefer it to be the full throated if possible. Would appreciate any guidance/suggestions that I can explore to fix this issue. Thanks.

Xposted to 'Installation and Set-Up (Devices)'; 'New to Using Obi / VoIP'; 'North America - Including Google Voice, Skype, etc.'

drgeoff

Your internet connection and router are irrelevant.

The ringers in the DECT handsets are not powered by the ringer circuitry in the OBi.  The OBi only has to provide a low power ring signal to the base station and the base station then tells the handsets to ring using power from their batteries.

Does the Nortel desk phone have a power supply or is it line powered from the OBi?

What happens if you connect the OBi directly (no house wiring) to the Nortel and the base station one at a time?

There are user configurable settings in the OBi to adjust some parameters (including the voltage) of the ringing signal it outputs. See bottom of page 143 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

Please do NOT post to more than one section of the forum.  It does not gain you a wider audience but only causes more difficulty for you and people trying to assist you when the posts are spread across multiple places.

awara

drgeoff, thanks for the information and for taking the time to assist. Looks like the system or someone has deleted my cross posts which is fine and in line with your suggestion.

I am unable to follow your recommendation. I did not find any options that enable me to choose between Sinusoidal or Trapezoidal waveforms for ring tones as listed in the manual you linked. For reference, the device I have was purchased mid-October this year and activated during the first week of November 2020...about 45 days ago. The device is new with Polycom branding - Obi 200?

From what I could wade through, under the Obi Expert settings, I see the following:

Under Voice Services, SP1 - SP4 Services, ObiTALK Service and a few others
   SP1 Service has   X_ServProvProfile with a value of A in grey (I assume auto provisioned during setup for GV)
         X_RingProfile with a value of A in grey (I assume auto provisioned during setup for GV)
   SP2 Service has X_ServProvProfile with a value of B in grey (I assume auto provisioned during setup for CC for 911)
         X_RingProfile with a value of B in grey (I assume auto provisioned during setup for CC for 911)

I have modified the SP2 Service X_RingProfile to a value of A and saved it and I think all is well now. Nortel desk phone with power adapter as well as the Panasonic cordless phone ring with the familiar US ring sounds. Let me know if I have this wrong and need to address it differently. Thanks again for the time and assistance.

PS: Is there a newer version of the manual given that the Copyright lists the dates of 2010-2013 in the version you shared?
PPS: I notice the Obi takes a few seconds to reset/disconnect from a completed call before a new call can be placed i.e. I cannot place a new call immediately after disconnecting and completing another call. I need to wait a few seconds before the next call can be placed. Is this normal behavior or is there another setting I need to modify?

drgeoff

There is no newer version of the manual.  Very little of consequence has changed.  The file server function does appear to have been removed from recent firmwares.  There have been necessary changes under the hood to cope with Google's modifications to the workings of Google Voice.  Plus the bug fixes and adding some new ones.

The settings for ring voltage and waveform are still there. If you had looked backwards from the page I pointed you to you would have seen where.