News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do we set ObiTalk so that calls from UNKNOWN numbers do NOT ring?

Started by John-in-SC, December 22, 2020, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John-in-SC

I hate it when the phone rings once or twice, then hangs up because the caller, from an unknown number, has timed out, een though the robocall was able to fool Google Voice into ringing the number through.

I have not been able to find a setting in GV to ignore unknown numbers, nor does Technical Support at Clear Captions have any suggestions, as that is not yet a setting.

UNKNOWN: If the number is an actual number, Google Voice forwards the call with the actual number in the number field, but when it does not know who is calling, it forwards the word "unknown" ... at least that is what I am guessing to be the case.

I do know that it has nothing to do with whether the number is in my contact list or not, because numbers that are NOT in my contact list are showing up with their exact #.

If the caller is willing to let his  phone number be visible, I'm willing to hear the phone ring, but if they have blocked their number for whatever reason, I do not want the call to ring.

I look forward to hearing any ideas.

John

drgeoff

John-in-SC

I am assuming that "unknown" showing up on my phone's screen means that the caller blocked his actual number.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the number is known to my contact list because numbers I never put in my list do show up with their actual number when the party newly calls, and sometimes, the number, not in my list, will show up with a name.

It is the "unknown" number that I wish to NOT ring. I hate getting woken up for unknown calls who always hang up before I'd have gotten there because of the delay forced by Google Voice on the call.

drgeoff

Quote from: John-in-SC on February 11, 2021, 10:57:34 AM
I am assuming that "unknown" showing up on my phone's screen means that the caller blocked his actual number.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the number is known to my contact list because numbers I never put in my list do show up with their actual number when the party newly calls, and sometimes, the number, not in my list, will show up with a name.

It is the "unknown" number that I wish to NOT ring. I hate getting woken up for unknown calls who always hang up before I'd have gotten there because of the delay forced by Google Voice on the call.
The "unknown" message is not generated by an OBi so I assume that is what your particular phone displays when there is no CallerID.

In my case I send such anonymous calls to the OBi's Automated Attendant by having {aa) as the trailing part of the X_InboundCallRoute.  Before that come all the rules for calls I do want to accept.

If GV sends a Caller ID for a North America Plan number it will be of the form +1xxxxxxxxxx.  So change the InboundCallRoute for the SP you have configured for GV from the default ph to

{(+1xxx.):ph},{}

The first rule (before the comma) sends calls with Caller ID equal to +1 followed by 2 or more digits to the phone.  Calls which don't match that rule get passed to the {} part which sends them nowhere ie the OBi does not answer.  However GV voicemail will pick up after about 25 seconds.  If you don't want them going to GV voicemail you need to send them somewhere which will answer before GV.  The Automated Attendant is one such destination.  Change that {} to {aa} to send to the AA which will answer and prompt the caller to "Press 1 to continue this call".  Or send the call to some information service that auto answers.  For example if the number is 123 456 7890 and you have GV on SP1 change the InboundCallRoute to

{(+1xxx.):ph},{sp1(1234567890)}

Use Expert mode on your dashboard at obitalk.com to make the change under Voice Services, SPx Service.  Clear both tick boxes at the right hand side of the line to make the field editable.  When done click "Submit" at the bottom and wait for the OBi to reboot.