News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to add device OBi 200

Started by maruthi, December 23, 2020, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronstory

OK, now at close to 12+ hours of  attempting to register a new device to my account.

Do I just return it to amazon?  I really don't want to since I have 2 other devices. :(

SteveInWA

Quote from: ronstory on March 19, 2021, 11:36:56 PM
OK, now at close to 12+ hours of  attempting to register a new device to my account.

Do I just return it to amazon?  I really don't want to since I have 2 other devices. :(

I really hate to say this, but given the lack of competent support from Poly, I no longer recommend buying an OBiTALK device to use with consumer Google Voice.  I suggest either returning it, or using it with some other Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP).

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 20, 2021, 11:41:19 AM

I really hate to say this, but given the lack of competent support from Poly, I no longer recommend buying an OBiTALK device to use with consumer Google Voice. 

I can't say I disagree with you.

I am to the point of wanting to flash my spare OBi200 with Naf's third-party firmware that allows you to connect to Google Voice directly without needing to use OBiTALK.

SteveInWA

I'll also note:  AFAIK from discussions with my Google Voice sources over the past year, there are no plans at this time to kill off or otherwise change the ability to run consumer Google Voice on consumer OBiTALK devices.  Of course, things can change, but this is the current situation.

BUT:  it is worth understanding that Google's primary focus is on their business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace, including continuous improvement of performance and reliability, and adding new features.  Consumer GV benefits from the "trickle down" effect.  However, with regard to OBiTALK stuff, GV for Workspace uses different Poly hardware, and it is provisioned and managed by a different API between the two companies.  It would be a very low priority for Google to devote any time to consumer OBiTALK device use.

I have no inside information whatsoever about what's currently going on at Poly WRT consumer devices.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 20, 2021, 01:51:31 PM
there are no plans at this time to kill off or otherwise change the ability to run consumer Google Voice on consumer OBiTALK devices.

I remember reading on a Google blog post several years ago from a GV manager (of some sort) that there were quite a few Google employees that used OBi devices to connect to GV. However, this was well before GV for Workspace was around. The impression I got (which could be wrong) was that was part of the reason Google wanted to keep supporting OBi devices to connect with GV. But I assume by this point those Google employees would now be using GV for Workspace rather than the consumer version.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on March 20, 2021, 02:38:50 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 20, 2021, 01:51:31 PM
there are no plans at this time to kill off or otherwise change the ability to run consumer Google Voice on consumer OBiTALK devices.

I remember reading on a Google blog post several years ago from a GV manager (of some sort) that there were quite a few Google employees that used OBi devices to connect to GV. However, this was well before GV for Workspace was around. The impression I got (which could be wrong) was that was part of the reason Google wanted to keep supporting OBi devices to connect with GV. But I assume by this point those Google employees would now be using GV for Workspace rather than the consumer version.

It was likely a comment I made at that time.

Yeah, hardly anyone at Google even uses a desk phone anymore.  They instead use either the Google Voice web browser client or the Google Voice apps on their smartphones.  This is one thing that made the COVID-19 switch to work-from-home easier.

However, as far as working with Poly goes, yes, they still do have an ongoing relationship for GV for Workspace hardware, oh, and also for Google Fiber Phone (the black box supplied for Google Fiber Phone is a re-purposed OBi 200).

volkswagner

For me this is not even a Google Voice issue. I have an ITSP account to add multiple customer devices into one portal so I can manage the devices. If I can't add the device, I can't manage it.

It looks like they did some updates to the site today and I was able to activate one device on the first try!

Hopefully, this remains functional. I still never heard from any humans at Polycom even after submitting a support request. I really hoped a known brand like Poly would increase the value and customer support but it seems equally bad or even worse compared to issues prior to the acquisition.

From earlier today:
maintenance window obitalk.com 3/20/21 8am-12pm PST

PDX_Mark

I wanted to add another Obi and I can not . I have tried THOUSANDS of times over last months and no luck. I already have 3 in same portal so I know how it should work.

Does anyone know how to configure third party firmware  without portal for Google Voice? I get no answer on dslreports thread.

thanks

Mark

PDX_Mark

Oddly enough,

I tried to add an obi again last night HUNDREDS of times with what appeared to be no luck. After giving up I walked away from Obi and  computer. This morning I found on my screen that the obi was successfully added.

Maybe they are being added with a delay?

LogHome

Tried to add a new Obi200 and about 20 times and it has failed each time.

What to do now?

drgeoff

Quote from: LogHome on April 03, 2021, 12:24:18 PM
Tried to add a new Obi200 and about 20 times and it has failed each time.

What to do now?
Patience, grasshopper.

LogHome

They have my device listed as a soft phone. What is a soft phone?

drgeoff

Quote from: LogHome on April 03, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
They have my device listed as a soft phone. What is a soft phone?
1.  No they do not.

2.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=905.0

However the apps mentioned are no longer available for download.

LogHome

Will this eventually register or do I just return it to Amazon?

I've tried about 50 times already and they all fail.

drgeoff

Quote from: LogHome on April 03, 2021, 02:54:52 PM
Will this eventually register or do I just return it to Amazon?

I've tried about 50 times already and they all fail.
"Eventually" is a long  time. How long can you wait?

Some might tell you that 50 times is less than it took them.

The jury is still out on whether its the number of times or the total length of time that is a major factor.

Unless you want to use Google Voice you can configure everything else without adding the OBi to a dashboard.

LogHome

I'm about ready to give up on this POS and send it back to Amazon.

How can they even sell a product that is completely useless and can't even be registered or activated on their own site?

drgeoff

Quote from: LogHome on April 03, 2021, 07:52:19 PM
I'm about ready to give up on this POS and send it back to Amazon.

How can they even sell a product that is completely useless and can't even be registered or activated on their own site?

Everything worked well for many years before there were a few signs that all was not well with Obihai.  Then the acquisition by Poly and things have steadily got worse. Tech support not worthy of the name, EOLing the OBi1x0 devices badly handled including censorship of forum posts, outages of the portal without 24/7 coverage, issues with the forum (posts and messages), lack of supply of devices including complete disappearance from UK, Europe and Australia, severe problems with registering devices to the portal, withdrawal of Obiplus and Obiextras.

The hardware devices themselves are fine and, unless you want Google Voice, can be used with virtually all other Internet Telephony Service Providers.  Configured using the onboard management interface they compare extremely favourably both performance and feature-wise with other Analogue Telephone Adaptors.  But that doesn't excuse the absolutely dreadful customer experience that Poly have been responsible for inflicting.  At some point Amazon will say enough is enough and that will be the end of the retail sales of OBis.

Smee

I'll add my 5 cents here since it seems I got lucky. I was dreading having to add new Obi for my father in law after having read the forums. Sure enough, I tried for two days for 3 or 4 hours without success. On the third day after a few tries, I changed tactics. I powered off the Obi 200, waited for the network light to come on and immediately started to add to the dashboard. I tried twice and was successful on that second try. I'm wondering if this isn't an issue where some connection between the provisioning server and the Obi is lost after a few minutes of establishing a connection with Obihai servers after power up. I know though that point to point calls work without a device being provisioned because I tried it, but maybe for the provioning server it's different, who knows. The second time I tried, I waited about a minute before power up just to be sure nothing could still hang a connection and it was promptly added like the old days. Maybe folks having the issue could try that to see if it helps them.

Smee

LogHome

Amazon Return tomorrow  >:(

Does everyone else that can't add device show a "Soft Phone" under my devices?

Are there any other devices that will work with a Google Voice # ?

drgeoff

Quote from: LogHome on April 04, 2021, 12:15:25 PM
Does everyone else that can't add device show a "Soft Phone" under my devices?

Are there any other devices that will work with a Google Voice # ?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=905.0

No other ATAs.