News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to add device OBi 200

Started by maruthi, December 23, 2020, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maruthi

I am unable to add OBi 200 device. Echo test works fine. I performed factory reset.
After doing the above, I am unable to add device.
There is no phone number to call for help.

drgeoff

Suggestions:

1.  Don't post the same thing in multiple places here.

2.  Read some of the numerous other posts about the same problem.

dobe12

Quote from: maruthi on December 23, 2020, 09:49:15 AM
I am unable to add OBi 200 device. Echo test works fine. I performed factory reset.
After doing the above, I am unable to add device.
There is no phone number to call for help.

There's an issue right now on Polycom's side. After getting through to an online support chat, being directed to a different department with a phone number, then being directed to ANOTHER department with a phone number, then sitting on hold for 45min, I was told "There is a problem on our end right now. We are aware and working on it. There is no estimated on when this will be fixed. The only thing you can do right now is keep trying to add the device. It should go through sometime."

And I'm 100% serious.

soho_scott

Thanks.  Sorry for adding to the multiple posts before seeing this reply.

danzg

Watching this ... please let us know when it's working again.
I'm also waiting to 'add device' after following the guide at
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Thanks

danzg

Is there no way to set up Google Voice from the web admin panel without going through obitalk?

drgeoff

Quote from: danzg on December 24, 2020, 07:38:38 PM
Is there no way to set up Google Voice from the web admin panel without going through obitalk?
Yes, there is no way.

mpotratz

Just wanted to chime in, how I got my OBi202 working since I found this thread when I was having trouble setting up my new device.

Basically the advice in other posts holds true just continue trying. After around 15 attempts over the course of an hour it finally didn't time out and my device showed up in the dashboard.

I ended up trying a ton of unnecessary steps like bypassing my router to eliminate firewall, manually setting DNS etc. In my case right from the start I was able to use the test number 222 with no issues I just couldn't add to the dashboard. Hope this reply helps others.

OnyejeHome

Nice mpotratz!

I just followed your advice and tried the same thing. Before on December 31st, I tried connecting my obi200 device by retrying every 2-3 minutes, and would do research inbetween tries and was unsuccessful, not to mention that I made the DNS changes and swapped out the ethernet cable that came with the obi with my own thinking the cable was at fault, and in the obi firmware settings changed the timezone to match my current timezone (also experimented with keeping the phone on the line during the entire 120 second discovery process, and hanging up after hearing the message the first time, with no success. I think I made 6 connection attempts total yesterday over a 15 minute period before giving up).

However, today, I tried again, and this time just followed the instructions and would hang up immediately after the start of the first message (wouldn't even let the first message audio finish playing). I did this in succession over a 10 or 15 minute period, and was able to squeeze in 10-13 attempts during that time frame and it finally connected on the 13th try.

So, yeah, for those of you having connection issues, just retry the process without thinking into it too much or trying to do anything different than normal. It should start finally reaching the server and properly connecting. It almost seems like there's a timeout issue with their servers, and with each attempt, the device makes it further into the handshake process with the server that it's supposed to talk to. Would almost seem like expanding the discovery period on the obi site from 110 or 120 seconds to 5-10 minutes might solve the issue. But this is all me just hypothesizing without any true understanding of the network process behind the scenes. I just remember on one of my attempts (maybe around #11 or 12), I saw that my browser actually started showing that a TLS handshake was occurring, which is something I recall not seeing the first couple of times I tried. Anyways, everyone, keep on attempting those connections and don't give up, it will eventually work!

infinity

Agree with previous posts - just keep trying - it eventually comes through.
One callout - the device admin password, keep it handy (default or whatever you changed it to). you will need it as soon as the device is recognized.

adk713

20th try with random delays in between, finally got it to detect device and then it connected to gVoice

rcroche

I see all the comments about "just keep trying" ... but wow I've tried like 20-ish times so far.  Like others, varied the time between attempts, etc.  Is this to be expected? What is causing this? Anything I can do to get my new Obi device registered??

SirNayrb

Been trying for an hour to get this thing setup....  So I'll accept that there is a log jam preventing registering and adding the device....  My question is this, once it is setup, does it work more seamlessly?  Or am I sometimes going to be able to make calls but sometimes not? 

drgeoff

Quote from: SirNayrb on January 19, 2021, 07:58:56 AM
Been trying for an hour to get this thing setup....  So I'll accept that there is a log jam preventing registering and adding the device....  My question is this, once it is setup, does it work more seamlessly?  Or am I sometimes going to be able to make calls but sometimes not? 
It is not a log jam caused by many people trying to add a device at the same time.

Take comfort from the fact that once configured, no calls except those made by dialling **9 followed by a 9 digit OBi number, use any facilities operated by or on behalf of Obihai/Poly.

jeff_in_dallas

Can someone be a bit more specific? Do you
- repeated dial original **51111 number until it times out and then get a new **52222 number and redial that repeatedly
- dial the first **51111 number, cancel, get a new number, then dial that **52222 number once, refresh, repeat with next new number

SteveInWA

Quote from: jeff_in_dallas on January 20, 2021, 02:21:58 PM
Can someone be a bit more specific? Do you
- repeated dial original **51111 number until it times out and then get a new **52222 number and redial that repeatedly
- dial the first **51111 number, cancel, get a new number, then dial that **52222 number once, refresh, repeat with next new number

You need to back out of the procedure to add the OBiTALK device to the dashboard, then restart here:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/add

This will generate another 4-digit code.  Enter **5 and that new code.  You can't re-use the same code.

Y12d

I was having a similar issue, I logged into the google voice adapter by looking up IP address than went into system management > wan settings > DNSServer1 
I updated DNS server from the default value  to 4.2.2.2

After that, I kept trying and after 7 to 8 tries was able to add the device.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Y12d on January 21, 2021, 06:02:11 PM
I was having a similar issue, I logged into the google voice adapter by looking up IP address than went into system management > wan settings > DNSServer1 
I updated DNS server from the default value  to 4.2.2.2

After that, I kept trying and after 7 to 8 tries was able to add the device.

That was a coincidence.  You do not have to change DNS to make this work.

randomuser

For the record...I just generated a new account and added a new obi200...I was also getting timeouts...

...until I realized my firewall was set to forward ports 10000-20000 to a (different) device...

...I turned that off, and the obi200 immediately registered.

BadFirstDraft

This is absurd. I've dialed a ** number more than 100 times in the past 24 hours, and nada. Has anybody else gotten in in the last day?