News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 and Music on Hold

Started by RegularDude, December 29, 2020, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RegularDude

Hi, Im brand new to voip and I just configured my Obi200 with a google voice number.  I think its awesome so far.

Is there a way to set up on hold music or preferably a customized message/audio file for when a caller is placed on hold?  Ive looked for videos or descriptions but I cant find anything.  Thanks in advance.

drgeoff

Quote from: RegularDude on December 29, 2020, 03:43:33 PM
Hi, Im brand new to voip and I just configured my Obi200 with a google voice number.  I think its awesome so far.

Is there a way to set up on hold music or preferably a customized message/audio file for when a caller is placed on hold?  Ive looked for videos or descriptions but I cant find anything.  Thanks in advance.
The OBi ATAs have no built-in server which can do that.  See page 148 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf about pointing to an external (to the Obi) Music-on-Hold (MOH) server.

RegularDude

Thanks for your reply.

On the page 148 that you referenced it says:

"The number to call to get music streamed to the remote party when the remote party is placed on hold.
Note: Option not available on the OBi100 and OBi110"

I have an Obi200.  Is there a chance I could still use MOH?

drgeoff

Quote from: RegularDude on December 29, 2020, 05:40:14 PM
Thanks for your reply.

On the page 148 that you referenced it says:

"The number to call to get music streamed to the remote party when the remote party is placed on hold.
Note: Option not available on the OBi100 and OBi110"

I have an Obi200.  Is there a chance I could still use MOH?
To restate. Yes your OBi200 can use MOH if you have or have access to a MOH server. The OBi200 does not contain such a server.

RegularDude

Great.  Do you know of a link to a page or video that can explain how I can set up MOH with my device?

drgeoff

Quote from: RegularDude on December 30, 2020, 05:29:53 AM
Great.  Do you know of a link to a page or video that can explain how I can set up MOH with my device?
No.  You'll have to do your own googling.

RegularDude

Right.  I tried that and I haven't found anything that I can follow.  Anybody else have some advice or a good link for a newbie?

drgeoff

Quote from: RegularDude on December 30, 2020, 07:48:26 AM
Right.  I tried that and I haven't found anything that I can follow.  Anybody else have some advice or a good link for a newbie?
See the first reply at https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1041 for some background info.

RegularDude

Thanks for the link but I still cant find enough information to configure a MOH whether that be from an internal source ,if available on the Obi200, or an external server or USB drive based file.

I am in Expert Configuration Menu -->Voice Services --> Auto Attendant.... but I am unable to modify any of the parameters.  Does anyone have an example screenshot of how to configure MOH?  I think that would be very helpful. 

drgeoff

Quote from: RegularDude on December 30, 2020, 08:53:02 AM
Thanks for the link but I still cant find enough information to configure a MOH whether that be from an internal source ,if available on the Obi200, or an external server or USB drive based file.

I am in Expert Configuration Menu -->Voice Services --> Auto Attendant.... but I am unable to modify any of the parameters.  Does anyone have an example screenshot of how to configure MOH?  I think that would be very helpful.  
There is no internal MOH source on any OBi ATA.

You must clear both tick boxes at the right hand end of its line before you can change a setting.

azrobert

I can't get this to work.

IPTEL has a free music server at music@iptel.org.
I created a speed dial "sp4(music@iptel.org)".
I hear music when calling with the speed dial, but a caller hears nothing when put on hold with flash.

I defined MOHServiceNumber as: sp4(music@iptel.org)

Edit:

Got it to work with GV. The provider I was testing has their own MOH. I assume that's why it wasn't working.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on December 30, 2020, 11:01:57 AM
I can't get this to work.

I swear it worked for me at one time. But now, no matter which ITSP I use I get different MOH. I assume the ITSP is generating it.

I even called from one GV account to another GV account. I then called the GV line from a third line putting the GV line on hold. Now I know that Google Voice doesn't support MOH. Yet, while on hold on GV line I got MOH and I have no idea what the source was. It sure as heck wasn't music@iptel.org which has a single "Turtles" song that it plays.

Edit:
Upon further examination the MOH I am hearing actually is coming from music@iptel.org (see attachment). I was confused because the music was actually very nice classical piano and all I had ever heard from music@iptel.org using a speed dial was one single song and it was The Turtles' "Happy Together" and it always played one time and then silence. Well it seems to be working just fine now and it's pleasant music to boot. Go figure.
Note in the attachment it's Call 3 but it's on Terminal 2. There's already 2 calls in progress (one on hold) on Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.

RegularDude

Could you please share a screenshot of the area where you place these configuration changes?

azrobert

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: anything
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> MOHServiceNumber: sp4(music@iptel.org)

RegularDude

Amazing.  Im excited to try that.

Is there a way to record a customized on hold greeting that can be used?  Where could it be saved and linked from?

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on December 30, 2020, 09:01:09 AM
There is no internal MOH source on any OBi ATA.

The AA can act as a MOH server.
I made the following change and the call was transferred to the AA.
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> MOHServiceNumber: aa()

You would have to record custom prompts with music and make changes to prevent the caller from accidentally using the AA.

drgeoff

Page 40 of the Admin Guide says that prompts are limited to 60 seconds each and the total available for all prompts is 122 seconds.

However that was written a long time ago and some things have been added or removed from the firmware since then. I'd guess that the firmware and custom prompts are in the same flash memory chip(s) so a change in firmware size might change that 122.

The AA can repeat a prompt a few times but I don't think it can be made to do so indefinitely.

Despite anything to the contrary about recording prompts written elsewhere I'm sure I've seen something from an Obihai source that the only means of getting custom prompts into a 2xx/3xx is via the phone.

Update. That last bit about recording prompts is the last sentence in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8984.msg15854#msg15854 which is for the OBi100/110. Might or might not apply to the 2xx/3xx.

Also the first Q in that post says that prompts can be strung together but doesn't say anything about how many. I don't see any reason why the same one could not be repeated several times.

bluechip

"Music on Hold" is supported by default on ALL "Callcentric" accounts as part of their Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. It works great! I use my OBi200 and SPA122 with Localphone (it's the best value) and Callcentric (for incoming calls and FAX). My callers say they really like the Music on Hold. Should you decide to try Localphone please tell them I referred you by using this link: http://www.localphone.com/?rb=g-ETNf1B4i76gTsjj-iP3fQIYAZUfCRTcvkGVW5UAN8
Thanks.