News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question on Why Obi202 Stopped Working

Started by tjk00144, January 08, 2021, 08:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjk00144

We had an ice/snow storm last week and the dish through which we receive our internet service was coated in ice and snow.  Some tree branches appeared to have dropped from the weight of the ice to partially block the signal from the tower to our dish.  Three days later our Obi202 stopped working.  I tried different things including removing and adding back the device.  I kept getting failure to connect when trying to add the device.  On the evening of this same day, our internet speed slowed to a crawl although it did not go out completely.  I contacted our internet service provider and they informed me that our signal strength had dropped right after the ice storm 3 days ago and had dropped even more on the day that I contacted them.  The next day I was able to remove the ice and snow from the dish and also cut down some branches that may have been partially blocking the signal.  Our download speed went up to normal speed although the upload speed was only about 50% of normal.  The service provider said that our signal strength was better but stlll below baseline.  I tried to add the Obi202 again but was still unsuccessful.  The following day our upload speed increased to normal levels and our signal strength continued to improve.  At this point, I was able to add the Obi202 device and it began working fine.

I am almost positive that the Obi202 stopped working because of the reduced signal strength on our internet.  Does anyone have any ideas why this would occur even though our internet was still working albeit at a reduced speed?

drgeoff

The **5 nnnn procedure to add a device to your dashboard at obitalk.com has not been working reliably for months.  Many posters here have reported it taking tens or more retries before succeeding.  That is a more likely reason than your reduced speed, but still working, internet connection for the failure to re-add that you encountered.

tjk00144

Thanks.  Is there any other way to add a device than through that process?  Also I wonder why the device stopped working in the first place if not for the reduced signal strength.