News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice configuration fails

Started by MrKenW, January 18, 2021, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKenW

I have an Obi200, which worked flawlessly with Google Voice for several years. Today Google Voice shows as 'OFFLINE' under SP1 in the ObiTalk dashboard. The only thing I did today that could have affected this was power-cycle my router in the process of setting up a new access point in my home wifi network.

I am logged into my Google Voice account in one tab of my Chrome browser. I am logged into my ObiTalk account in another tab of the same browser window. When I click 'Google Voice Setup' for SP1, I am taken to the page where I confirm my Google Voice account. The Google Voice settings show my Obi number as an authorized device. Everything looks fine, but when I click 'Finish' I get a spinning icon for about a minute, and then SPI shows as 'Offline' again.

If I try to make a phone call, I get a recorded message saying 'The number you called (XXX-XXX-XXXX) did not receive a response from the servicer provider.'

All my other Internet services seem to be working normally - web browsing, email, Netflix, Roku, etc. Only the Obi200 is down.

Suggestions?

drgeoff

Can you successfully reach the echo test when you dial **9 222 222 222 ?

MrKenW

No. I get a recorded message "There is no service available to complete your call."

MrKenW

I deleted my Obi200 device from my ObiTalk dashboard, deleted the ObiTalk device from my Google Voice settings, and performed a factory reset on the Obi200. I can now successfully get an echo from **9222222222. However, when I attempt to add the device back to my ObiTalk dashboard, it times out after I enter the server identification string:

Add an OBi Device
 1. Please pick up the telephone handset, and dial **5 0357
 2. You may hang-up when you hear the automated response.
 3. If your device does not connect within approximately 15 seconds, please repeat starting at step #1.
Trying to connect to your device... (Timeout in 14 seconds)

I get the appropriate automated response ("The number has been sent to the server"), the power light on the Obi200 device is solid green, and I have an active Ethernet link light at both the Obi200 and my Ethernet router. I tried adding the device to the dashboard several times.

--Ken

drgeoff

Your mistake was in deleting your Obi from your dashboard.  :(

Your device had an issue to reach the public internet. That could probably have been rectified without deleting the device.

Now you are facing the same issue that has been plagueing users for months. The Obihai servers which handle the **5 nnnn procedure fails very, very often. Many report eventual success but it can require tens of attempts.

MrKenW

Oh, fudge.

I will try to add the device a few more times and see if I get lucky.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

--Ken

MrKenW

SOLVED

I kept plugging away at the **5-XXXX configuration, and it finally worked. Everything is once again properly configured and functional. Thanks again for the assistance, drgeoff.

--Ken

compu85

I'm having a similar issue... my OBi508 registers in the dashboard, the echo test works, and I can make calls when I configure other SIP services. However, calls on the Google Voice SP don't do anything, even though it shows connected.

When I check my Google Voice devices I don't see OBi listed. Should I see it there?

Thanks,

-J

SteveInWA

Quote from: compu85 on January 20, 2021, 10:48:59 AM
I'm having a similar issue... my OBi508 registers in the dashboard, the echo test works, and I can make calls when I configure other SIP services. However, calls on the Google Voice SP don't do anything, even though it shows connected.

When I check my Google Voice devices I don't see OBi listed. Should I see it there?

Thanks,

-J

The OBi 508 is known to have problems working with Google Voice, and given that it is End Of Life, Poly isn't going to fix that issue.

compu85

Ah... Googling I found 1 post about this: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16284.0

It would be nice if Obi could update their documentation to reflect that the 508 isn't supported on GV anymore - looking at their home page it looks like it's still a current product.

Thanks,

-J

drgeoff

Quote from: compu85 on January 20, 2021, 01:09:10 PM
Ah... Googling I found 1 post about this: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16284.0

It would be nice if Obi could update their documentation to reflect that the 508 isn't supported on GV anymore - looking at their home page it looks like it's still a current product.

Thanks,

-J
The Obihai that we knew and loved is gone and will not be coming back. Whatever the reason that Poly acquired Obihai it was not to have it continue operating as it did in its glory days.