News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No joy with my Obihai 1022

Started by kcallis, January 19, 2021, 01:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcallis

I am using both an Obi200 and a 1022 in my home network. When I received the 1022 (which was purchased on E-Bay), the phone had been provisioned, so I immediately did a factory reset. I attempted to add the device on ObiTALK with **5, but although the dashboard was attempting to add the device, after about 15 seconds, the phone would fall back to the main display and eventually the dashboard would tell me that adding the phone failed.

I did not try to upgrade the firmware as I am running 5.1.11 (Build: 4983EX.1311) which seems to be the latest. I am able to access the Echo test (**9 200-200-200) with no problems, and I know that as far as the firewall, I have no problems running the obi200, so the firewall rules are good to go.

At this time, since I really need my google voice number working, I was wondering if anyone had a functional restore that I could load on the 1022 (with google voice working) and see if I could possibly get the phone functional using this process. There is no option to use google voice signalling, so as it stands I can try to connect to my soft PBX, but the goal right now is just to use google voice.

I thought I would just use my SquareTrade replacement and wait for a new phone, but of course, their response was that in theory, the phone is still under factory warranty so no joy on that one. Hell, I don't even know if my phone is still under factory warranty (considering that the hardware is 1.1, so it has to be several years old).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated to get this phone functional and able to connect to ObiTALK (or even without ObiTALK, just get my google voice number working).

Thanks!

drgeoff

1. Your credibility is off to a bad start with you writing a number which is not the echo test.

2. Buying an Obi phone or ATA on ebay or similar is always risky. An Obi which has previously been registered at obitalk.com cannot be registered to a different account until it has been removed from the previous account. That requires login access to that previous account.

3. There have been ongoing problems for months with the Obihai servers which handle the **5 nnnn procedure. Many posters report thst they do succeed eventually but can take tens of attempts.

4. No, there is no way that a backup from another OBi will help you. For starters, the backups do not contain any passwords. And in the case of Google Voice it isn't a simple mechanism of a password stored in the OBi. You must use the authorisation mechanism via the portal at obitalk.com.

So keep trying the **5 way until it succeeds or you get a response along the lines of "this device is registered to another account".

kcallis

Quote from: drgeoff on January 19, 2021, 02:38:32 PM
1. Your credibility is off to a bad start with you writing a number which is not the echo test.

2. Buying an Obi phone or ATA on ebay or similar is always risky. An Obi which has previously been registered at obitalk.com cannot be registered to a different account until it has been removed from the previous account. That requires login access to that previous account.

3. There have been ongoing problems for months with the Obihai servers which handle the **5 nnnn procedure. Many posters report thst they do succeed eventually but can take tens of attempts.

4. No, there is no way that a backup from another OBi will help you. For starters, the backups do not contain any passwords. And in the case of Google Voice it isn't a simple mechanism of a password stored in the OBi. You must use the authorisation mechanism via the portal at obitalk.com.

So keep trying the **5 way until it succeeds or you get a response along the lines of "this device is registered to another account".

Maybe I have misread you first statement, but in case I mistaken, the following is the text received when the **5 XXXX fails:

QuoteAdd an OBi Device
Failed to connect to your device. Please check your device's internet connection:

2. Can you call **9-222-222-222 ? If not, make sure your router's firewall is not blocking traffic from the OBi. Click Here for more.

The automated response states clearly that this is an echo test. So rather than question my credibility, possibly you might want to check facts before making disparaging accusations.

You second point, while again somewhat condescending did give a bit of information, so I will contact the seller and see if there is a way to de-register the device.

I have attempted the **5 at least 30 times with no results, with the same results, Regardless, I will try to see if my firewall is blocking in any way and see if I could see if there is a problem at least on the firewall side.

drgeoff

Read your opening post again and note that 200 200 200 is not 222 222 222.

I don't know the sequence of what the Obihai server should do when it receives the **5 nnnn call. The call will include some means of identifying the OBi, possibly its 9 digit OBi number or serial number. When working properly that will enable the server to respond with the "previously registered" message if that is the case. However, the server is not working properly so we don't know if your device is passing that gate or not before the timeout occurs.

kcallis

Quote from: drgeoff on January 19, 2021, 03:37:13 PM
Read your opening post again and note that 200 200 200 is not 222 222 222.

Regardless of whether it was 222-222-222 or 200-200-200, it was prefaced with the statement that it was the purpose of a an echo test. A better response on your end would have been to say something along the lines of "Possibly you might have mean **9 222-222-222 and not 200-200-200" which would have brought back a response from me of "Your right, I was side tracked when I wrote that message.".   Personally, I doubt if after reading a posting would I question one's credibility, but on the other hand, my ego doesn't require to pat myself on the back and make a response over something that is very trivial.

Quote from: drgeoff on January 19, 2021, 03:37:13 PM
I don't know the sequence of what the Obihai server should do when it receives the **5 nnnn call. The call will include some means of identifying the OBi, possibly its 9 digit OBi number or serial number. When working properly that will enable the server to respond with the "previously registered" message if that is the case. However, the server is not working properly so we don't know if your device is passing that gate or not before the timeout occurs.

If Obi is trying to push device management, at the very least their service needs to be reliable. If it wasn't for the fact that I do have a need for google voice, I would have moved over other manufactures like GrandStream, Cisco, etc. After this debacle, I am thinking that maybe I need to just find a reliable ITSP (and know that my DID will stay around) and call it a day with making use of google voice devices or trunks!