News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Soft phone app for Android

Started by kcallis, January 19, 2021, 02:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcallis

Once upon a time, I think there was a soft phone app for Android that I could use to make my phone calls. I looked in the Play Market and have not found such an app. If anyone knows what I am talking about, could you point me to the name of the app?

drgeoff

Quote from: kcallis on January 19, 2021, 02:28:01 PM
Once upon a time, I think there was a soft phone app for Android that I could use to make my phone calls. I looked in the Play Market and have not found such an app. If anyone knows what I am talking about, could you point me to the name of the app?
Obion isn't there anymore and even if you track it down it may be of no use to you as it does not work with recent versions of Android. It does work on 4.2.2. It does not work on 7.0. I don't know which was the last version of Andoid that it worked on.

drgeoff

An Obion apk is attached if anyone wants to try it.  I cannot and don't warrant that it is virus-free.

Sheffield_Steve

You don't say which service you intent to use, but if it's a SIP provider like callcentric, etc.  Then there is a built in SIP client app on Android.

Open the phone app, on the menu click settings and then calling accounts to set up the provider.

Once setup, it works using the standard dialer app.

drgeoff

There is no exposed inbuilt SIP client on my Android 7.0 phone, a Blackview A7 Pro.

There are many 3rd party apps which can be configured for almost any SIP ITSP which provides the necessary credential info. Examples are CSIPSimple, Zoiper, Baresip. Also some ITSPs have their own dedicated apps. Examples are Callcentric and Localphone.

I interpreted the opening post as asking for Obion. That app was only designed to connect with other OBi devices or OBi softphones. Of course other endoints could be reached by calling through an OBi configured as a gateway.

SteveInWA

There is no exposed inbuilt SIP client on my Android 7.0 phone, a Blackview A7 Pro.

The SIP client is generally stripped out of US Android phones sold by or locked to a carrier.  It may be on other phones sold unlocked, not from a carrier.  The Google Pixel phones have it.  I have it set up on my Pixel 5.

But yeah, the OP didn't specify which ITSP they want to use with the softphone, and I also assumed it would be used as a OBiON replacement.  So, no; no such thing.

Sheffield_Steve

I didn't realize that as I've always used unlocked phones and it's always been available on those. (For many years now)

It's by far the best SIP client for android because it is so well integrated into the dialer, address book, etc.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on January 22, 2021, 09:34:45 AM
I didn't realize that as I've always used unlocked phones and it's always been available on those. (For many years now)

It's by far the best SIP client for android because it is so well integrated into the dialer, address book, etc.
My Blackview is not (and never was) carrier locked, nor was it supplied by a carrier.  While some unlocked phones may have the SIP client, being unlocked is no guarantee that a phone makes one available.

Sheffield_Steve

That's interesting, because every phone I have had for the last eight years has had the client built in.

It's actually part of the base Android system software, so if it's missing it means it's been deliberately removed.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on January 22, 2021, 11:13:27 AM
That's interesting, because every phone I have had for the last eight years has had the client built in.

It's actually part of the base Android system software, so if it's missing it means it's been deliberately removed.
It might be there but the end user has no way to access it.

Sheffield_Steve

I wonder what their logic is behind doing that?