News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi200 and NEW obi202 mysteriously stopped working

Started by edwardsmarkf, January 23, 2021, 01:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardsmarkf

hello all -

a quick bit of background:  i have installed several obi100 & obi200, never had any issues, always VERY easy to set up.

so i come home from being gone several months, and mysteriously my old favorite obi200 can no longer make calls, message is:  "number 123-123-1234 has not received a reply from the service provider" or something like that.

i can do the "**9-222-222-222" echo test with no problem.

so me being the highly educated consumer that i am, i just go purchase a new obi202 instead.  😁

so i log into my OBITALK account, ObiDashboard--> add device, get some number to dial such as  "**5-1234", and a friendly voice tells me  "**5 7427 has been sent to the server" repeated three times.

but here is where i am getting stuck, this page as i recall is supposed to advance to the next page, and yet mine does not.  i have the very same issue with both the 200 and the NEW 202.

my new obi202 gives me a "no service configured error - please log into obitalk.com and configure your device" when trying to make a call.

i do have the actiontec c1000a dsl modem but its the same one i have had for several years now, never any problems with it.  i tried disabling both the ipv4 and ipv6 firewall, but again, i have never had to do that before.

and suggestions?  (other than switch back to land-line)

obi202:
HardwareVersion   1.5   help
SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)

jholme004

They have been having issues on the ObiTalk site activating a new Obi Device.  Poly hasn't given any ETA but are aware of the issue. 

The best advice: Keep trying. 

Some have said to uncheck the "Setup Google Voice" box on the ObiTalk Website, others have said to wait until off hours.  Last time I did this (less that 48 hrs ago), I kept hitting the "redial" button on my phone until the site timed out or the activation took. 
-Jason

edwardsmarkf

>>> `The best advice: Keep trying. `

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

if we are to believe that, then we are all insane, especially anybody who has ever tried to program anything CGI.

jholme004 - thank you very much for your kind reply - i will try again later, and possibly uncheck that google setup checkbox.

edwardsmarkf

ok NOW the old obi200 is working fine,🙄  but the mystery remains why i am not able to easily swap out the
obi200 for the new obi202.  i can certainly return the obi202, but still this puzzles me why i cannot set up the new obi202 device.

i just "removed" the google voice and then re-added it.

but certainly i am willing to wait a couple of days & try the new obi202 again, as was kindly suggested.  or just return the obi202 & call it a day.

drgeoff

There are many threads here within the last few months about the add to dashboard procedure not working.  One reports that Obi tech support acknowledged that this has been happening for some months but they don't know when it will be fixed.  Their advice was to keep trying.  Many of those threads end with their original posters reporting that they did eventually succeed.

edwardsmarkf

ok going to return the obi202 unit to amazon.....    >:(  -- and i am torn what kind of feedback to leave?

this is very difficult, considering how i have been recommending people buy one of these.   one would think that the obitalk technicians would be crawling all over this situation in search of a resolution.

whatever is causing this issue, its relatively new.  admittedly its been about a year or so since i have done this, but previously the setup has been so easy it seemed too good to be true.

EDIT:  maybe i will wait a few days before returning, in hopes something might be resolved soon. 

drgeoff

Quote from: edwardsmarkf on January 24, 2021, 09:40:45 AM
ok going to return the obi202 unit to amazon.....    >:(  -- and i am torn what kind of feedback to leave?

this is very difficult, considering how i have been recommending people buy one of these.   one would think that the obitalk technicians would be crawling all over this situation in search of a resolution.

whatever is causing this issue, its relatively new.  admittedly its been about a year or so since i have done this, but previously the setup has been so easy it seemed too good to be true.

EDIT:  maybe i will wait a few days before returning, in hopes something might be resolved soon. 
Given how long Obihai/Poly have been aware of this I think it is extremely unlikely that they will resolve it in the next few days.  There is a good chance that you will be able to add the 202 if you keep trying.  However there seems to be no rhyme or reason about good or bad times of the day to try or the interval between attempts.

edwardsmarkf

QuoteGiven how long Obihai/Poly have been aware of this I think it is extremely unlikely that they will resolve it in the next few days.  There is a good chance that you will be able to add the 202 if you keep trying.  However there seems to be no rhyme or reason about good or bad times of the day to try or the interval between attempts.

thank you very much drgeoff. i make a living solving difficult techie issues.  this is the kind of issue that would keep me awake at nights.

EDIT:  since i do hear "STAR-STAR-FIVE-ZERO-ZERO-etc has been sent to the server" i should think there would be a log of that happening on the server side?

also, i should think there would be a fairly easy way to establish this association MANUALLY by logging into the unit itself by getting the IP number, and get a serial number or some other unique identifier from the unit's system information page, then cut/paste that into a manual connection request webpage.   my two cents worth.