News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can someone PLEASE share a EASY and WORKING solution for 911 with the Obi110?

Started by otherwhirl, October 27, 2011, 07:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherwhirl

There are all of these threads on here that are quite confusing.

Anyone here actually have a WORKING solution with their Obi110?

I'm not a super geek or anything like that , so the simpler the better. :)

Thanks!

ProfTech

The Obi 110 comes pre-configured out of the box to make 911 calls through the Line port which is supposed to be connected to your standard AT&T phone line or whoever you currently use for phone service. No configuration is necessary at all on your part. If you either do not have or do not intend to connect a phone line to it that is the only time you need to make any changes in the settings at all. We need more information about how you intend to use the Obi to answer your question.

otherwhirl

Hi,
Thaks for the quick response.

So will this require that I have service with AT&T or a similar service should I use the out of the box option already in place for the Obi110?

My ultimate goal is to not have to use any other service other than GV (and/or another reliable free service...)

In terms of Equipment, all I have is my Obi110 and my standard trimline phone plugged into it. Of course I also have my ISP (Comcast)

Thanks!

RonR

otherwhirl,

With no service provider other than Google Voice on your OBi, about the best you can do is call a regular telephone number when you dial 911.  If you call your local police or fire department, they may be able to give you a regular number that will terminate at the same dispatcher as 911 calls do.  Be aware, however, that calling in this manner will not automatically give the dispatcher your name, location, etc. as a true 911 call would.

The following configuration change will map 911 calls to a regular number through SP1:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{(<911:12341234567>):sp1},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where 12341234567 is the number you wish to be called when you dial 911.

Dav3yDark0

otherwhirl,

There are a number of VoIP providers that can offer you E911 service for a small monthly fee. I think Callcentric offers it for about $1.50/month, and there are many other providers who have similar offerings. Currently, for my own setup, I have my magicJack on the LINE port of my OBi110 to use for 911 service.

Dave

QBZappy

Dav3yDark0,

If magicJack offers 911 in their annual service plan, that seems to be a lot of value considering the alternative is having to pay $1.50/mo. In addition you get a DID number (US+Canadian), free CID, call wating. If 911 is reliable, which I assume it is just as reliable as any other voip 911 service, this seems to be the way to go if you want to keep it on the cheap.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Dav3yDark0

Yes, they offer 911 service as part of their standard price. The softphone gives you a place to put your address in for 911 and I believe it even warns you if that info appears to be incorrect for your current location so that you can change the address for where you are at. Their 911 service is the only reason I renewed my service with them for 1 more year at the $20 rate for the original mJ. I have never had to use 911 in the 3 yrs I have had my mJ, so I can't really comment the reliability, but I have not heard of any problems when using mJ's 911 service either.

Dave

jazzy

You asked for a working solution using the Obi and 911, here is what I did
I asked my police department for the local direct number to the 911 emergency dispatch operators,
When I asked how can I know if this number actually connects to '911' operators,
the police officer said she tested it out by calling that number, and it did actually connect to 911 operators, the same operators that answer a '911' call.  The only thing is, the operator will not know my location. 

I'm using the '911' call routing RonR outlined here to call my local emergency dispatch number.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{(<911:12341234567>):sp1},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where 12341234567 is my local emergency 911 dispatch number.

To test '911', I placed my cell number in the Outbound Call Route, and dialed '911'
My cell phone rang.

Needhelp

So ur 911 feature works but 911 won't know where you're calling from...correct?!

RonR

Quote from: Needhelp on November 01, 2011, 03:38:59 PM
So ur 911 feature works but 911 won't know where you're calling from...correct?!

Mapping 911 to a regular telephone number will NOT provide any emergency information (name, location, etc) to the receiving party.