News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call quality issues with 2182 - with update

Started by alivoiper, February 04, 2021, 07:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alivoiper

I've been having periodic call quality issues with my 2182. Most of the problems would happen when I bridged either 2-3 lines or got a call waiting. I am having issues with both Google Voice and Callcentric.

Originally I was told by Poly that this related to GV limitations, but I noticed that this also happened with my Callcentric lines. To solve the issue, instead of bridging two incoming calls on the same SP, I would bridge two different SP. My thinking was that if this was a limitation of GV, then having two separate GV accounts (with two different SP) should eliminate the problem. It did not.

Then I tried the same thing with Callcentric. Same problem, thus eliminating GV as the root of the issue.

The problem is worse with 3 calls vs 2 but sporadically with even a call waiting.

After a lot of testing and the help of Poly tech support, I've figured out a few things.

I had thought that, perhaps my Netgear Orbi router was the problem, so I plugged my phone right into my ONT. Same problem.

Poly and I used a network tap and saw significant packet loss when the third call came in. Virtually no problems with just 2 calls. Significant problems with 3.

I'm still investigating this and working with Poly but may have figured things out. I think I'm having two issues, not one. The first is a 3 way bridge. The second is with putting a call on hold.

After a lot of online reading, it seems that the 3 way bridge may relate to FIOS.

One person wrote:  "These devices running DOCSIS 2.0 have limited bandwidth support; if more than four simultaneous calls are connected, it discards packets, causing audio issues." I am plugging my phone right into my ONT so I don't think this is the same issue (since I don't have a cable modem) but it is interesting that the issues are mostly happening when I have multiple calls.  Another person wrote " Verizon replaced his ONT (Optical Network Terminal), and then they had to update the customer's "Line Profile" to match. Verizon said that this was because their ONT equipment was not compatible with this VoIP phone system." Again, this sounds very similar to what I'm seeing.

I called Verizon and they're investigating. I'm not confident that Verizon knows what they're doing, so open to any ideas when they investigate. If I had thier cable modem, OR thier router (and needed to turn off SIP ALG, for example) I'd be more confident.

I will be taking my phone to a friend's house who does not have Verizon to test this theory.

I think the second issue may be on the Obi side. This issue happens sporadically. I'll be on a call and another caller will call me (typically on the same SP) OR I'll be on a call, put them on hold and then dial out. Sometimes one of the callers can't hear me when I come back, or I can't hear them. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or a different one.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. I will post when I have more information, as I do see that several other people had "bridging" issues with thier 2162 and 2182.

SteveInWA

FiOS has nothing to do with cable modems nor with DOCSIS standards.  Those are for coaxial cable service (e.g. Comcast, Spectrum).  FiOS is a fiber-to-the-premises, pure fiber optic technology.  The fiber signals are converted to Ethernet at the ONT, which acts as a bridge.  The only other piece of equipment involved is your own router, which connects to the Ethernet port on the ONT.  If they've upgraded your ONT, then you should have no problems with call quality in general.  The static on call waiting is a long-present bug on Poly's firmware.

alivoiper

Steve,
Thanks for your help. FIOS did not replace my ONT. What I wrote above is what several people posted that fixed their issue. FIOS is investigating. My issue is ongoing. When I remove my router and plug my ob2182 into my ONT I have the same problem. The ONT tests were normal but they're still working on it. I'm trying to remove FIOS from the equation by testing on my neighbor who does not have FIOS. I'm suspcious that this is the issue because other people reported the same problem specifically with FIOS.

Regarding the second issue, I don't have static when putting on call waiting. The other person just can't hear me - or I can't hear them. One person can hear the other can't. Maybe it's caused by the same thing.

Can you be specific what you know about the bug in the firmware ? I'm working on this with a senior tech person at Poly and want to be very specific about the issue so they can address the bug.

Thank you.

SteveInWA

The bug I referenced appears under this scenario:  someone calls you and you answer and converse.  A second call comes in, you hear the call-waiting tone, and you "flash" to answer.  You may now hear loud static.  My theory is that it is a CODEC negotiation failure (mismatch).  They know darn well about this bug and have not fixed it.

Whether that relates to your issue, I don't know.

All I can tell you is that I have had FiOS for many years, including two ONT upgrades, and it has never had the problem you describe.  I agree; taking your device to a friend or neighbor that has a cable ISP would be a good troubleshooting step.

alivoiper

Thank you, Steve. I will continue testing and working with Poly tech support and keep you posted.

Also , to be clear , you have a Obihai 2000 series phone and have tried to bridge 3 different GV SP and not had an issue?

The scenario that I have and poly has been able to replicate is where 3 different GV on 3 different SP are connected and the inbound calls on the 2nd or 3rd SP hears garbled...

So when you're saying you haven't had a similar issue I wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing... since Poly now confirmed the issue. If you're not having it, then perhaps your phone settings are different or have a different model ONT.

SteveInWA

To be clear, I have not experienced the specific problem you described, but that's not to discount that it may occur.

Many people have reported the problem of loud static when attempting to put a call on hold and then return to that call, or to set up a three-way call and, after answering the second call, joining it to the first call.  I have experienced that once, but I rarely use that feature.

alivoiper

Thank you. If anyone reading this has similar issues with their 2000 series, please reply here. I've been working with Poly's tech support and the more examples of specific issues I can give them, the better.

They are working on the issues that I've experienced but its helpful when I give them more examples of specific use cases of issues.