News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 second line not ringing etc

Started by Soulcommander, February 08, 2021, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulcommander

Hello, I have an Obi 202 device. I have the second line set up to ring my cell phone if no one picks up after x amount of rings. HOWEVER.....If my cell phone is shut off the second line never rings but goes straight to voice mail. Why can't Obi fix this?  I have to have my cell phone on 100% or I will not get any calls coming in at home on my 2nd line that is set up to forward calls to my cell if no one answers at home.  My friend has the same problem so I know it must not be specific only to me.

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on February 08, 2021, 11:54:40 AM
Hello, I have an Obi 202 device. I have the second line set up to ring my cell phone if no one picks up after x amount of rings. HOWEVER.....If my cell phone is shut off the second line never rings but goes straight to voice mail. Why can't Obi fix this?  I have to have my cell phone on 100% or I will not get any calls coming in at home on my 2nd line that is set up to forward calls to my cell if no one answers at home.  My friend has the same problem so I know it must not be specific only to me.
Sounds like you haven't configured things properly, possibly because your expectation of how these things work does not match reality.  Without knowing exactly how you have configured your OBi202 and your Internet Telephony Service Provider it is next to impossible for those without a crystal ball or telepathic abilities to tell you how to fix your issue.

Soulcommander

Whats to configure? I use Google voice. If My cell phone is shut off and someone calls my line it will not ring and go directly to voice mail. If my cell is turned on the phone will ring and if no one picks up in a certain number of rings it starts to ring my cell phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on February 08, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
Whats to configure? I use Google voice. If My cell phone is shut off and someone calls my line it will not ring and go directly to voice mail. If my cell is turned on the phone will ring and if no one picks up in a certain number of rings it starts to ring my cell phone.
I think you are writing that the no-answer forwarding to the cellphone is to be done by your OBi202 but it is not clear which of GV voicemail or cellphone voicemail you mean.

Is the cellphone also in the list of endpoints that GV is forwarding calls to?  If yes, as soon as any endpoint picks up, GV stops ringing al the others.  So if when the cellphone is off the cellphone voicemail answers immediately then the Obi doesn't get much of a chance to ring.

Arizona480

Quote from: drgeoff on February 09, 2021, 05:06:39 AM
Quote from: Soulcommander on February 08, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
I think you are writing that the no-answer forwarding to the cellphone is to be done by your OBi202 but it is not clear which of GV voicemail or cellphone voicemail you mean.

Is the cellphone is also in the list of endpoints that GV is forwarding calls to?  If yes, as soon as any endpoint picks up, GV stops ringing al the others.  So if when the cellphone is off the cellphone voicemail answers immediately then the Obi doesn't get much of a chance to ring.

Which means you have to either disable your cell phone's voice mail or replace it with Google Voice's voice mail.  This should help:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Some prepaid accounts won't allow this, but you can disable your carrier's voice mail so Google Voice will still work properly.