News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cortelco 2500 + Obi 200 not ringing

Started by burrito-ninja-warrior, March 01, 2021, 03:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burrito-ninja-warrior

I've got a dinosaur technology Cortelco 2500 (that is probably ~15 years old) that only clicks when used with my new Obi 200. My Obi 100 could produce a feeble ring, but the new one can't. Everything else works fine. The ringer switch on the bottom is not off.

Taking the phone apart the little ball in the ringer oscillates but doesn't quite make it far enough to hit either gong.

I've tried maxing out the ring voltage at 82v and fiddling with a few other things, to no avail. I have a new cord in the mail to try and see if it is that.

Disappointed that even though the Obi 200 claims to have a REN of 5, it can't handle one old phone with actual bells. Since I bought the obi to use with this phone specifically I'll probably just return it if I can't get it going. (it seems sometimes ATAs don't have enough juice for 1940s tech to work https://northcoastsynthesis.com/news/building-a-telephone-ring-booster/)

Any other ideas?

SteveInWA

Blaming the OBi device for that is way off base.  It doesn't matter how many volts you send into the ringer, if the bells are spaced too far apart, or the capacitor is shot, it's not going to ring.  You will have to fiddle with the bell adjustment to get them close enough for the hammer to hit them firmly.  The bells are held in place by screws in the center.  You can loosen the screws slightly, then rotate the bell to move it in or out (the fastening is elliptical).

IF the OBiTALK portal was working properly (and it is totally broken at the moment), I'd tell you to sign into your portal dashboard, get into Expert configuration mode.  But, that's not going to work.

So:  pick up the phone and key in ***1 and listen to it speak your device's IP address.  Open a web browser to that address.  The default login is admin/admin.

Go to System Management-->Auto provisioning-->OBiTALK provisioning, un-check the blue box to the right of "Method", then change the method to "Disabled".  Scroll down, tap the Submit button, then reboot the device.  After it finishes rebooting, go to Physical Interfaces-->Phone 1 Port.  Find Ringer-->Ring Voltage.  Un-check the blue box to the right, then change the value to 82 volts.  Again, tap Submit, reboot and wait.  Now try calling the phone number.  Does the phone ring?  If not, you can't make it work.