News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which ports do I need forwarded to OBi200 for Google Voice +911 Punch Alert?

Started by FrobziKer, February 23, 2021, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrobziKer

As far as I know, Google Voice uses TLS encryption and STUN protocol to make connections, usually via UDP ports 19302-19305.  I have a good router with many features to isolate and customize traffic. For my mobile phones, Google Voice does not require me to have any TCP/IP ports of forwarded on my router. Is it the same with OBi200?

karog

I have had a 110 for almost 10 years and a 200 for more than 3 years added when GV went away for the 110. I just added a 212 to replace both of those. I have never had to forward any ports. And I have 3 GV numbers on SP2,3,4 as well as FiOS Digital Voice on the LINE port. I can call in and out with any GV number including calling out on one GV number and back in on another. I can do this as I have the Zoiper app on my Galaxy S10 tied to SIP on SP1 and I can choose which GV number to call out on from S10 or phone by prefixing number with **2, **3, or **4.

So all of that is pretty good evidence that no port forward is needed. My router is an Edge Router Lite from Ubiquity.

FrobziKer

Thank you for such prompt feedback. I won't have any mobile phones tied to GV for forwarding. The way I use GV is by connecting it to a number for verification and then removing that number from GV. That way GV works independently without being associated with any other numbers. I basically want it to serve as a standalone landline phone + E911 service. Not having to open or forward any ports would great, more secure than MagicJack, which, I think, does require SIP ports to be open.

drgeoff

Quote from: FrobziKer on February 24, 2021, 03:00:05 AM
Thank you for such prompt feedback. I won't have any mobile phones tied to GV for forwarding. The way I use GV is by connecting it to a number for verification and then removing that number from GV. That way GV works independently without being associated with any other numbers. I basically want it to serve as a standalone landline phone + E911 service. Not having to open or forward any ports would great, more secure than MagicJack, which, I think, does require SIP ports to be open.
It is rarely necessary to do any of port opening, port forwarding or putting the OBi in the DMZ when using with a home router on a residential internet service. Some of those might be required in a commercial or corporate or educational etc environment employing firewalls, internet proxies etc.

FrobziKer

Great! I would still like to know what protocols and ports (outbound) are used for:
1. Google Voice?
2. E911 Service?

I want to assign a VLAN for ObiTalk device, create strict isolation, and allow only the absolute minimum to make it accept and receive calls.

On mobile phones, Google Voice connects to STUN servers via UDP ports 19302-19305. Unless protected by a VPN, such connections to STUN reveal private/local IP addresses. Can ObiTalk devices be wired over a VPN for both Google Voice and E911 calls? I realize it may not be possible and I am OK with ObiTalk device revealing my public IP, but not the local IP address.

Do ObiTalk devices require use of UPnP (239.255.255.250), ICMP, and/or IGMP for:
1. Google Voice?
2. E911 Service?

If there is documentation for moderately advanced users, I'd appreciate a link to it.