News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI2182 Google Voice plus ATT Digital line?

Started by CastJ, February 28, 2021, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastJ

I have ATT digital phone service via Gateway 5268ac Telephone port to Panasonic Cordless phones.  Recently added OBI2182 to my office with Google Voice and would like to add the ATT digital phone # to the 2182.Can I send att number to OBI2182 and still have gateway continue to send that number to panasonic cordless phones via tel port. Can this be Done?

drgeoff

Quote from: CastJ on February 28, 2021, 01:13:17 PM
I have ATT digital phone service via Gateway 5268ac Telephone port to Panasonic Cordless phones.  Recently added OBI2182 to my office with Google Voice and would like to add the ATT digital phone # to the 2182.Can I send att number to OBI2182 and still have gateway continue to send that number to panasonic cordless phones via tel port. Can this be Done?
In theory yes that is possible by plugging an OBiLINE into a USB port of the 2182.  That adds a POTS line interface to the 2182.  Then with a little adaptor (plug and two sockets) you can have both the Panasonic base and the 2182 connected to the phone jack of the gateway.  Incoming calls ring both.  The Panasonics can make outgoing calls on the AT&T number.  The 2182 can also make calls on the AT&T number if desired on a call by call basis eg by dialling a prefix or configuring the 2182 to recognise certain numbers and always using the AT&T line to call them.

In practice:

1.  The OBiLINE is said to be a discontinued product with no replacement so obtaining one could be an issue.

2.  The OBiLINE was said by some users to have poor performance.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBiLINE-sec/what-is-obiline

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on February 28, 2021, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: CastJ on February 28, 2021, 01:13:17 PM
I have ATT digital phone service via Gateway 5268ac Telephone port to Panasonic Cordless phones.  Recently added OBI2182 to my office with Google Voice and would like to add the ATT digital phone # to the 2182.Can I send att number to OBI2182 and still have gateway continue to send that number to panasonic cordless phones via tel port. Can this be Done?
In theory yes that is possible by plugging an OBiLINE into a USB port of the 2182.  That adds a POTS line interface to the 2182.  Then with a little adaptor (plug and two sockets) you can have both the Panasonic base and the 2182 connected to the phone jack of the gateway.  Incoming calls ring both.  The Panasonics can make outgoing calls on the AT&T number.  The 2182 can also make calls on the AT&T number if desired on a call by call basis eg by dialling a prefix or configuring the 2182 to recognise certain numbers and always using the AT&T line to call them.

In practice:

1.  The OBiLINE is said to be a discontinued product with no replacement so obtaining one could be an issue.

2.  The OBiLINE was said by some users to have poor performance.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBiLINE-sec/what-is-obiline

The OBiLINE was discontinued over a year ago, and nobody is selling them anymore, unless you find a used on on eBay.  I really wouldn't recommend that solution.

Consider this alternative:  now that you have a VoIP phone, you could port your AT&T phone number out to a SIP VoIP Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP), such as Callcentric.com or voip.ms.  These companies provide inexpensive, a-la-carte inbound/outbound phone service on a variety of price plans.  You would be given SIP credentials for your number(s) (a username and password), which you could easily set up on your 2182 as one of its Service Providers.

SteveInWA

Oh, and before I get flamed for not providing the precise solution you wanted, if you want to have your two phone numbers provisioned on the desk phone, but also on a cordless phone, you could also buy an OBi 200 ATA, and provision both numbers on two of its four SPs and plug your cordless base station into it.

drgeoff

The original goal can be met by adding an OBi212 or OBi312 to the setup. Not a low cost solution though.

CastJ

Thanks for replies! I thought this would have been simpler! Going to have to dump ATT voice. Do love the 2182!

drgeoff

Does AT&T digital use standard SIP and if yes does anyone know how to get the credentials?

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on March 01, 2021, 09:05:53 AM
Does AT&T digital use standard SIP and if yes does anyone know how to get the credentials?

The carrier-provided "digital phone" services are closed-credential.  They connect over the carrier's private IP space for higher reliability and performance, vs. using the public internet. They use a remotely-provisioned ATA built into their gateway box.  They will not give out the credentials.

The OBi 212 is currently $75.95 vs. $49.69 for the OBi 200 (on Amazon US).  Aside from the initial price difference, using the 212's FXO port with AT&T results in an additional analog-to-digital conversion.  Depending on usage patterns, porting out the AT&T number to a DIY VoIP ITSP may or may not result in a cheaper ongoing monthly cost.

wpsb

Quote from: CastJ on March 01, 2021, 08:17:24 AM
Thanks for replies! I thought this would have been simpler! Going to have to dump ATT voice. Do love the 2182!

I had the same issue. I have a desk 2182 and also had a home phone number via Verzion. I wanted the home phone number to ring on my 2182 (for when I'm at my desk) but also ring on my cordless phones in the house. I bought an obi202 and ported my verizon number to google voice. Saves me $ every month. Now I have my home phone ring on one of my SPs on the 2182 and also ring on the 202 for the cordless phone. I decided to get the 202 because I added a second cordless phone where my work number could ring in case I'm not at my desk. Very convenient so I dont have to run to my desk when I hear it ringing, too!