News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Activation OB2 202

Started by rjniles, March 03, 2021, 01:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjniles

Brand new user here. Trying get my new OBi202 working. Connected phone, Ethernet and power cable per directions. Power light stays flashing green.  Next light to right flashes intermittently green indicating data activity. Other 3 light remain lights dark. I dialed the 222 222 222 test number and the announcement says: Network Status IP address not available. I get the same message from the OBi config attendant, option 1. Tried a factory reset with no joy.
Any help or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

drgeoff

Quote from: rjniles on March 03, 2021, 01:05:42 PM
Brand new user here. Trying get my new OBi202 working. Connected phone, Ethernet and power cable per directions. Power light stays flashing green.  Next light to right flashes intermittently green indicating data activity. Other 3 light remain lights dark. I dialed the 222 222 222 test number and the announcement says: Network Status IP address not available. I get the same message from the OBi config attendant, option 1. Tried a factory reset with no joy.
Any help or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
The most likely cause is failure to wire up as per the instructions in the Quick Start Guide.  Ethernet cable should be in the socket labelled "Internet", not "LAN".

rjniles

Thanks for the feed back. I verified again the Ethernet cable is in the Internet jack.

drgeoff

Quote from: rjniles on March 03, 2021, 01:21:33 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I verified again the Ethernet cable is in the Internet jack.
Try another cable and in a different LAN socket on your router.  Then reboot.

If still not working, check that the DHCP server is enabled on the router.

Is this a brand new OBi from a reputable supplier?

rjniles

New Obi from Amazon

I have tried new cables and Ethernet port.

Let me explain my set up. I have fiber to the home. The fiber terminated in my home office in a small box that provides the WIFI signal and has a single Ethernet port. That connects to a 7 port Ethernet switch that feeds my wired devices, 2 computers, a Vonage telephone adapter, a AT&T Micro cell and the OBi 202. All the devices work other than the OBi.

Since I have no router I have no way to look at or change any port setting. Do you thing my internet provider can ne blocking access to posts the OBi requires?

drgeoff

Quote from: rjniles on March 03, 2021, 02:00:16 PM
New Obi from Amazon

I have tried new cables and Ethernet port.

Let me explain my set up. I have fiber to the home. The fiber terminated in my home office in a small box that provides the WIFI signal and has a single Ethernet port. That connects to a 7 port Ethernet switch that feeds my wired devices, 2 computers, a Vonage telephone adapter, a AT&T Micro cell and the OBi 202. All the devices work other than the OBi.

Since I have no router I have no way to look at or change any port setting. Do you thing my internet provider can ne blocking access to posts the OBi requires?
Nothing to do with blocked ports.  Your OBi is telling you in two ways that it is not getting an IP address - the flashing power LED and the spoken message.

Please give model numbers of the "small box" and the 7 port switch.  Also, if available, any links to manuals for those.

rjniles

The incoming fiber terminates at a Calix Gigapoint 803G Router (I did not realize it was called a router) The Calix has a power jack, fiber jack, telephone jack (unused) and a single Ethernet jack.
https://tele-a.ru/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/803Gv2_GP.pdf

The router Ethernet jack is connected to the a ZXYXEL GS-1081 Eithernet switch. I have the OBi202 plugged onto the ZYXEL along with the rest of the wired devices.
http://static.us.zyxel.com/pdf/2017/DS_GS108I_R3.pdf

BTW, thank you for the help

drgeoff

As a test, disconnect the switch from the Calix and connect the INTERNET jack of the OBi202 directly to the ethernet jack of the Calix.  Power cycle the Calix.  Wait 2 minutes before power cycling the OBi.  Does the OBi's power LED stop flashing?  And if yes, can you reach the echo test **9 222 222 222 ?

rjniles

Did as you suggested and connected the OBi directly to the Calix and power cycled. Nada, the green OBi light continues to flash.

rjniles

Not sure what happened but the Obi started working, the power light turned solid green. This is with the OBI connected to the internet port thru my Ethernet switch as I originally configured. When I dial **9 222222222 I get the welcome to the OBiTalk network message.

Do you have a OBI number I could call you on as a test. My OBi number 500 172 138

Now I am trying to connect my Google Voice number to the OBi. More grief. I Go to the "add OBI device, dial the number it indicates, get the message "number sent to the server". Then it sits doing nothing until it times out. Tries several times with the same result.

drgeoff

Quote from: rjniles on March 04, 2021, 06:22:46 AM
Not sure what happened but the Obi started working, the power light turned solid green. This is with the OBI connected to the internet port thru my Ethernet switch as I originally configured. When I dial **9 222222222 I get the welcome to the OBiTalk network message.

Do you have a OBI number I could call you on as a test. My OBi number 500 172 138

Now I am trying to connect my Google Voice number to the OBi. More grief. I Go to the "add OBI device, dial the number it indicates, get the message "number sent to the server". Then it sits doing nothing until it times out. Tries several times with the same result.
The echo test number is an Obi number.  If that works no need to test another one.

Failure of the **5 nnnn procedure is currently, and has been for months, a very common occurrence.  Obihai are aware but for whatever reason seem unable to fix it.  Their advice is to keep trying and many posters report eventual success though it can take many, many attempts.

I suggest you approach GV configuration in two stages.  Do not tick the "I want to use .... Google Voice ..." box.  Just work on getting your OBi added to your dashboard at obitalk.com.  Once that is achieved, your GV account can be linked as a second step.

Fortunately once your GV number is working with your OBi, the flakey Obihai servers are not involved in making or receiving GV calls.

rjniles

Again thanks for the feed back. I have tried adding the device process probably 20-30 times with no results. I am questioning my decision to purchase the OBi as the only reason was to add my Google Voice line and have it ring on our home phones. The OBi has no value to me if I cannot do that. I have gone past the date I can get a return and refund from Amazon.

I guess I will just have to keep trying to add the GV account.

Are there any other devices sold other than OBI that will work with GV to interface with my hard wires house phones?

drgeoff

Quote from: rjniles on March 05, 2021, 06:12:03 AM
Again thanks for the feed back. I have tried adding the device process probably 20-30 times with no results. I am questioning my decision to purchase the OBi as the only reason was to add my Google Voice line and have it ring on our home phones. The OBi has no value to me if I cannot do that. I have gone past the date I can get a return and refund from Amazon.

I guess I will just have to keep trying to add the GV account.

Are there any other devices sold other than OBI that will work with GV to interface with my hard wires house phones?
30 times is nowhere near the number of times that some posters have needed before successfully adding an OBi to the portal.  I understand the frustration but, as I wrote, once you do get past the hurdle of getting it configured for GV the currently misbehaving Obihai servers are no longer involved in making and receiving GV calls.

There are no other devices which enable you to make or receive GV calls on POTS type phones.

MSRobi

Try activating very early in the morning.  I tried many times, maybe 30 like you, but one morning I woke up early, 6am Eastern, and I got successfully activated.  So my thinking is that the 1 server Obi has sitting in some remote land only has limited capacity and it is like winning a lottery ticket if it picks your incoming request to work on.

rjniles

Success, I got it working. I have been trying to link my Obi since about 5:30 this morning (for 2-3 days actually). I have tried randomly throughout the day and finally it worked. I did not check the "link to Google Voice" box but after it accepted my device I went back and added the GV account. Thanks for all that helped

drgeoff

Quote from: rogerkali on March 17, 2021, 11:53:24 AM
The most likely cause is failure to wire up as per the instructions in the Quick Start Guide.  Ethernet cable should be in the socket labelled "Internet", not "LAN".
As this is a verbatim copy of a post of mine above, one must conclude that ROGERKALL IS A SPAMMER.

MSRobi

If it is spam, what is the purpose?  I don't see any advertising or phishy links.  I do see that the post is just a repeat of your earlier post.  Just a bored user perhaps?

Taoman

Quote from: MSRobi on March 17, 2021, 06:17:27 PM
If it is spam, what is the purpose?

Not saying this is the intent of rogerkali, but many spammers will post one or more innocuous posts and then come back days/weeks later and edit the post and insert spam URLs.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on March 17, 2021, 06:56:54 PM

Not saying this is the intent of rogerkali, but many spammers will post one or more innocuous posts and then come back days/weeks later and edit the post and insert spam URLs.
Indeed. I looked at rogerkall's posting history and his first two posts had been subsequently edited by Obihai/Poly support. I guess he had come back and added something which was deemed unacceptable.

MSRobi

Quote from: Taoman on March 17, 2021, 06:56:54 PM

I just looked closer to rogerkali's post above, and there are 2 faint links at the bottom of his post, "snaptube" and "vidmate".  I dare not click them, but that may be the smoking gun.