News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how to call a google chat friend from obi?

Started by pic.micro23, October 28, 2011, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic.micro23

Hello, I have an OBI110 + GV and things work really good.

Here's my question but before that let me explain a little bit of background.

I have a friend in that i have in my contacts of google chat (friend@gmail.com) who does NOT have  GV in his account. But when he calls me thru google chat my OBI rings. Everything is good here.

So
friend@gmail -> (me@gmail.com + gv + obi) = SUCCESS

My question is how can I call my friend (friend@gmail.com who does not have GV) from my OBI? 
I know I can call him if use gmail from a computer. but how can I do the from my obi? My friend cannot get GV as he is not in the USA.

Any info is appriciated.

QBZappy

pic.micro23,

I think you can to put his Google chat email address in the OBi speed dial. Then call him using the speed dial number you set him up on.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Everton

Is this a good friend?  ;D

If so, why don't YOU setup a GV number for him that is local to you?  You could setup a new Gmail account for him, along with an associated Google Voice Number.  Once setup, you can send him the appropriate gmail login and password, and he can make the appropriate changes to the password, add contacts, etc.

Quote from: pic.micro23 on October 28, 2011, 10:50:52 AM
Hello, I have an OBI110 + GV and things work really good.

Here's my question but before that let me explain a little bit of background.

I have a friend in that i have in my contacts of google chat (friend@gmail.com) who does NOT have  GV in his account. But when he calls me thru google chat my OBI rings. Everything is good here.

So
friend@gmail -> (me@gmail.com + gv + obi) = SUCCESS

My question is how can I call my friend (friend@gmail.com who does not have GV) from my OBI? 
I know I can call him if use gmail from a computer. but how can I do the from my obi? My friend cannot get GV as he is not in the USA.

Any info is appriciated.

QBZappy

Everton,

That could work. However we would need to consider:
1) Phone activation is required for GV. What number are we going to use? He would need a spare tel number.
2) It's not clear what country we are dealing with in the OP's thread. It seems that GV is charging for some calls based on IPs. I have no idea if these GV calls get charged on the originating or terminating end. Does anybody know?
3) A lot more effort to set up.
4) Far end doesn't even have an OBi to receive call on the phone. They still would be restricted to receive the call on their computer.

A big plus if it can be setup that way is that it would offer his friend the ability to make calls to Canada/USA if he is located in a country where GV is not yet charging for the service. It seems there are a lot of countries OBi users are still benefiting the free GV service.

Speed dial "BOOM" you're done.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pic.micro23

@QBZappy
I will try the speedial option. I hope that works as this will solve that problem in an easy and good way. Is this treat it as a direct SIP URI call?

@Everton
That's another option but like you said it needs to be a good friend :) as when opening a GV account you need to provide a real number to get the the verification call. But it's a solution to the problem. Thx.

pic.micro23

QBZappy

Quote from: pic.micro23 on October 28, 2011, 11:26:49 AM
Is this treat it as a direct SIP URI call?

It is the same as calling your friend using GTALK from your computer to his. No sip is involved in the call. The same protocol used for GTALK is used on this type of call. OBi works its magic by substituting your phone for the compuer speakers and mic.

pic.micro23

QBZappy, I added my friend's email address in the speed dial and everything worked as you suggested. this is awsome. when i dial the speed dial assigned he got the call on his android phone using the build in google chat app. Really neat.

thanks for your help.

QBZappy

pic.micro23,

Great, glad it worked out for you and your friend.  :)