News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiEXTRAs End of Life

Started by OBiSupport, March 10, 2021, 04:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBiSupport

As of March 10th, 2021, sign-ups and renewals for OBiEXTRAs are closed to new and existing customers. If you have an active 1-year or 2-year OBiEXTRAs subscription, you will be refunded in-full. For questions, please contact obi.support@poly.com, be sure to include your OBiTALK Sign-In email and your 9-digit OBi No. for reference.

Thank you,
Poly OBi Support

nsne

1. Does this mean that features like Google Voice address book integration will become standard?

2. Does the decision to no longer support ObiExtras mean that the writing is on the wall for Obi devices as well?

Arizona480

Quote from: nsne on March 10, 2021, 05:23:35 PM
1. Does this mean that features like Google Voice address book integration will become standard?

2. Does the decision to no longer support ObiExtras mean that the writing is on the wall for Obi devices as well?

This is interesting as you would think that ObiExtras brings in a nice revenue stream without much cost.

nsne

Quote from: Arizona480 on March 11, 2021, 10:47:15 AM
This is interesting as you would think that ObiExtras brings in a nice revenue stream without much cost.

Exactly. And silence often says more than words, though the clarity of an actual statement is awfully nice to have.

Arizona480

This morning on one of my GV numbers, a call came through that was not in my address book and it had a business name displayed on my landline phone.  The name did not match what it was labeled in the GV web interface call list, but at least it did not say "Unkown Name". 

The other question is, will our current uploaded Google address book still work with Caller ID?

RFC3261

I think it is far more likely that the customer numbers for OBiEXTRAs did not support the engineering and operational resources needed to support it going forward.

Of course, "we" are just guessing.

MSRobi

I got everything set up just 6 months ago, and I must say the Obi202 with GV has been absolutely rock solid.  It took a lot of effort to get registered, and after much learning, I have everything configured as I want.

Can somebody who is "in the know" tell us if the end is near for Obi + GV?

Arizona480

Quote from: RFC3261 on March 12, 2021, 03:07:04 PM
I think it is far more likely that the customer numbers for OBiEXTRAs did not support the engineering and operational resources needed to support it going forward.

Of course, "we" are just guessing.

That makes sense, of course, the trouble we all have had registering new devices for the past month of course would lead to the initial poster's thought.

Arizona480

Is the refund automatic or do we need to contact support in the OP?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Arizona480 on March 17, 2021, 04:50:42 PM

This is the exact text:

As of March 10th, 2021, sign-ups and renewals for OBiEXTRAs are closed to new and existing customers. If you have an active 1-year or 2-year OBiEXTRAs subscription, you will be refunded in-full. For questions, please contact obi.support@poly.com, be sure to include your OBiTALK Sign-In email and your 9-digit OBi No. for reference.

You can interpret it as you wish, but it's the official response.

wb7shc

This definitely raises more questions than answers. Polycom would do well to outline the intent of this decision and what it means to the lifecycle of the OBI products, rather than leave the void to be filled with assumptions that may or may not be true.

Arizona480

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 17, 2021, 05:02:39 PM
Quote from: Arizona480 on March 17, 2021, 04:50:42 PM

This is the exact text:

You can interpret it as you wish, but it's the official response.

Credit Cards accounts may no longer be valid or still be stored in the system past 90 days, so I would think there would have to be some sort of interaction to get a refund. 

Spafman

Hello everyone,

I emailed them for more information, and they said it had reached End Of Life... and to provide them with my Amazon Payments confirmation number... Amazon said the refund is complete, but I know it will take 3 days or so... That day the names stopped appearing... I will probably do the Callcentric method for CNAM....

Hopefully the Obi20x series will still be supported.. started using mine in 2018..

Take Care and Be Safe!

N7AS

Quote from: Spafman on March 18, 2021, 04:52:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I emailed them for more information, and they said it had reached End Of Life... and to provide them with my Amazon Payments confirmation number... Amazon said the refund is complete, but I know it will take 3 days or so... That day the names stopped appearing... I will probably do the Callcentric method for CNAM....

Hopefully the Obi20x series will still be supported.. started using mine in 2018..

Take Care and Be Safe!

Yes, your OBi20x will work with Callcentric. They have configuration examples for OBi devices and others in their support section.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Arizona480

Quote from: Spafman on March 18, 2021, 04:52:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Take Care and Be Safe!

Thanks for the info!   It looks like we do need to make contact to get the refund?

se1961

I too reached out to Obi and got a very spare reply:

"Only the OBiExtras feature is being discontinued and is no longer supported, there are no plans to come up with a similar add-on service. You may get similar features from another Service Provider. We ask you to please contact each provided and verify what they offer."

I have been paying for ObiExtras because I use Google Voice exclusively for incoming calls. Are there any simple solutions that would give me inbound caller id?

drgeoff

Quote from: se1961 on April 06, 2021, 08:22:51 AM
I too reached out to Obi and got a very spare reply:

"Only the OBiExtras feature is being discontinued and is no longer supported, there are no plans to come up with a similar add-on service. You may get similar features from another Service Provider. We ask you to please contact each provided and verify what they offer."

I have been paying for ObiExtras because I use Google Voice exclusively for incoming calls. Are there any simple solutions that would give me inbound caller id?
Search the forum for posts about forwarding from GV to Callcentric and thence to your OBi.

saboken

Poly purchased/absorbed Plantronics not sure exactly how this affects Poly? this could go the way of Wink? Just a guess a lot of times when a company changes owners they make changes sometimes for the better sometimes they fail. Lets keep our fingers crossed that GV stays I refuse to pay my  fiber ISP $49.00 a month for a VOIP number I currently have 3 GV lines a personal, business and a fax line. If GV gets cut I hope to find a new device to keep my numbers. It's not a big loss of $$ I have had my OBI for years now my ISP actually hates when I tell people they can get  line/s free that's as good or better than what they are offering at only needing to buy a OBI device they will own outright.

Lavarock7

You also could just use a paid VOIP provider for a few dollars a month. Luckily the Obi devices work with them too.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

PDX_Mark

Is there still a need for this? I have seen an increase in caller ID names  delivered on GV.