News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 and Google Voice working, but single (short) ring for each spam call

Started by dave4obi, March 26, 2021, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave4obi

My OBI202 is configured as a client for my google voice account and is working as intended, with one exception:

The vast majority of incoming calls (to my google voice phone number) are from numbers not known to me (=junk calls, probably recognized by google voice as same). When these incoming calls arrive (spam/junk calls), my OBI202 rings the attached telephone set exactly once, and the ring seems shorter duration than normal. Regular incoming calls work fine, but it appears from looking at google voice (https://voice.google.com/u/0/calls) that there are every day a few calls that don't get answered, from phone numbers not in my contact list.

When in the past I had forwarded my (same) google voice service to my cell phone, these calls would not make it to the cell phone at all (yet could be seen in the google voice log as above - when I first realized this, I was amazed at the number of such calls intercepted by google voice), however, these calls do appear to make it to the OBI202 in a way that rings the phone once, but is then intercepted and shows in google voice (usually) as a 10-second duration call.

Is this (ring once even if a junk call) a setting I can change to avoid this behavior?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Dave
dave4obi

dave4obi

Solved - operator error - voice.google.com forwarding to the OBI needs to be turned off, then go to google voice settings page where groups are managed and edit "All Contacts" group to forward to the OBI device, and "Anonymous Callers"  group to not forward to the OBI device (nor any other device). This has successfully stopped the one-ring junk calls (those that persist end up in voicemail and can be blocked, deleted or flagged as spam) while passing through calls in my contact list. This is now working as I envisioned when I started this project a while back.

jccpa

So you want ONLY your contacts to ring through to Obi and reject all anonymous or new callers?