News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple SIP Phones

Started by chammerbeck, March 30, 2021, 08:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chammerbeck

Hello,  I set up an OBi202 a while back for use with two GV accounts.  I'm sorry I can't give props to the person but there was a thread that helped me set this up and it's been rock solid.  I have 2 SIP phones connected and receive/make calls perfectly.  Unfortunately I would like to add a few more phones but from what I can tell when I add them with the same SIP credentials/settings the last one powered up gets the call.  Guess I can't have more than one phone on a SIP account. The 202 has all the SP "sections" filled up.  two go to the SIP phones and the other two are part of the GV to SIP conversion/routing.  I just aquired a 302 and factory reset and flashed with the latest firmware.  Is there a way I can use that to connect to the 202 SIP accounts and get a few more accounts/SP options for at least two more SIP phones at the house?  Pardon my wording....some of this is fairly new to me.....  Just want to add about 2-3 more phones on my system.
Thanks!

chammerbeck

My maxsessions is at 2.  If I just crank that up will it work?

drgeoff

Your worries are misplaced.

1. Within reason you can have as many OBis on your LAN as you wish.

2. "the last one powered up gets the call" applied to OBI100/110 devices connected to the same GV account.  That doesn't apply to you.

3. The maxsessions number is the number of simultaneous calls on one SIP account.

Do you actually want more SIP accounts or just more phones on your existing accounts?

chammerbeck

Thanks for the quick reply.  Just want more phones on one account.  So when a call comes in on my GV account my SIP phones all ring so I can answer the call like the old days with multiple analog phones around my home.  I had 4 SIP phones all logged in and registered last night BUT when a call came in the last one I powered up only rang.  I could make calls outbound on any of them.  Using Yealink T46G phones.  I unplugged all of them except one and reboot that one.  Works fine this way but only one phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: chammerbeck on March 30, 2021, 08:56:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.  Just want more phones on one account.  So when a call comes in on my GV account my SIP phones all ring so I can answer the call like the old days with multiple analog phones around my home.  I had 4 SIP phones all logged in and registered last night BUT when a call came in the last one I powered up only rang.  I could make calls outbound on any of them.  Using Yealink T46G phones.  I unplugged all of them except one and reboot that one.  Works fine this way but only one phone.
I had not understood that you want to connect SIP phones to the OBis so my point 2 was incorrect.  AIUI a 202 can have only 1 SIP client registered to it.

However:

1.  An OBi InboundCallRoute can direct a call to up to 4 endpoints - all will ring and the first one to answer takes the call.  Those endpoints can be the IP addresses of SIP phones.  Clearly you need to have the SIP phones on static IP addresses.

2. If your SIP phones are able to make calls without being SIP registered I see no reason why multiple phones cannot send their outgoing calls to 1 OBi.  I don't know if your Yealinks can make calls without being SIP registered.

chammerbeck

The phones are registered.  The web interface of each says so and the icon status shows green on the phone itself as registered.  I like the endpoint idea.  I can hard code static the IPs for the phones.

drgeoff

Quote from: chammerbeck on March 30, 2021, 09:57:15 AM
The phones are registered.  The web interface of each says so and the icon status shows green on the phone itself as registered.
I wasn't asking if they are registered.  Some SIP phones can make outgoing calls even if not registered. and that would be a way of overcoming the limitation of an OBi SP slot when configured as a registration server. Usually SIP registration is what tells the SIP server how to reach an endpoint but that is not necessary when a static IP address is known to the server/

chammerbeck

I changed the password to the SIP so it would not register and it would not make calls.