News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Rejected by the Service Provider - Reason is 408

Started by canon03, April 02, 2021, 03:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canon03

I've had an OBi200 linked to my Google Voice number for years and has worked great.  Only in the last couple of months, a number (AT&T land line) that I've successfully dialed numerous times is now relaying the following message and will not connect:
"The number you dialed with not accept your call."
"The number you dialed xxx-xxx-xxxx was rejected by the service provider.  Reason is 408."

I've asked the owner of the number if they have made any changes recently to their service and they state they have not.

I've searched the forum, but haven't seen reason 408 mentioned.  Does anyone know the underlying issue that would cause that code?

I appreciate your consideration.

Taoman

Quote from: canon03 on April 02, 2021, 03:57:53 PM

I've searched the forum, but haven't seen reason 408 mentioned.  Does anyone know the underlying issue that would cause that code?

SIP error code 408 is a "request timeout." I've read on different forums about people having problems connecting to AT&T landlines lately. I assume you can connect to that number from a cell phone?

If I had to guess I'd say it's a routing problem between Bandwidth.com and AT&T. Not much you can do on your end. It should clear up over time. You can have the landline owner contact AT&T and complain some numbers are unable to connect. But have them avoid saying the words "voip" or "Google voice" if at all possible. AT&T would respond more favorably if it was another landline or cell phone that couldn't connect. If they hear the problem comes from a Bandwidth.com number they will almost certainly say the problem is with Bandwidth which may very well be true.

Maybe SteveInWA might have a suggestion.

Edit: Please delete all your other identical posts.

SteveInWA

If that is the only phone number you call that has this specific problem, and you can call other AT&T landline customers, then it's likely a problem routing to that exchange.  If you can't call any AT&T landline customers, then your number may be flagged in their system as spam.

Assuming you don't have this problem calling any numbers on other carriers, you don't have an OBi or Google Voice problem.