News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Expert config method observations (My experience)

Started by QBZappy, October 31, 2011, 06:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

1) Status->PHONE and LINE Port Status both have same name label "Port Status".

I'm setting up an OBi overseas and noticed that the Expert config labeling of the PHONE and LINE Port Status is a bit confusing. It is not identified as clearly as the OBi units. Although once you compare it to the labels on the OBi unit it is easy to figure out which is which.

2) I was able to setup this OBi in an environment with low internet bandwidth. The only way I could get normal conversation was to disable all codecs except 729. After that, phone conversation was excellent.

3) I can not type in the "AuthPassword" when setting up the sip account. It always goes to "Device
Default". How is one to fully support an OBi if there is one big Gotcha requiring you to enter the OBi unit directly in order to enter the password. It makes the whole concept of "Expert configuration" completely useless. I suspect it has something to do with making the OBi more secure, however that little detail completely kills the OBi expert configuration concept in terms of requiring local help with some minimal tech skills to enter the OBi unit web page and enter the PW themselves. Forget about sending an OBi to elderly parents before having it fully configured before sending it out to them.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Everton

Quote from: QBZappy on October 31, 2011, 06:54:08 AM

3) I can not type in the "AuthPassword" when setting up the sip account. It always goes to "Device
Default". How is one to fully support an OBi if there is one big Gotcha requiring you to enter the OBi unit directly in order to enter the password. It makes the whole concept of "Expert configuration" completely useless. I suspect it has something to do with making the OBi more secure, however that little detail completely kills the OBi expert configuration concept in terms of requiring local help with some minimal tech skills to enter the OBi unit web page and enter the PW themselves. Forget about sending an OBi to elderly parents before having it fully configured before sending it out to them.

Are you sure?  If you unchecked the "Device Default" and enter the "AuthPassword" and then click on submit, it will take the value and opdate the OBi Device.  Eventually it will show "Device Default", but the proper SIP Credentials will be passed to the OBi ATA.....at least that is how it works when I did it!

QBZappy

Everton,

Thanks for sharing. Later tonight I'll try again with another account and see if the PW is accepted.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Maybe I came to to wrong conclusion. Someone else posted similar problem today. I have entered various sip accounts and a GV account as well. They all work locally, however all of my efforts result in the following message:

"Status   Backing Off (879s):Authentication error"

Since it is confirmed that you can enter passwords via the OBi Expert, then something elsewhere is the problem. Hmmm?

BTW, I had preconfigured a sip account on the OBi before sending it away overseas connecting to my PBX in Canada. I can report that the call quality is the best I've ever had, better than using Skype or Rebtel voip service. I was using the 729 codec. It looks like Rebtel just lost a customer. I was also able to make local calls using the PSTN line of the OBi. The people on the other end said it sounded like I was making a local call.

When things work it's sweet.