News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Add Obi200 to Dashboard success

Started by happytap, April 24, 2021, 09:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happytap

In 2015 I bought 2 Obi200s from Newegg, one to use with the then PhonePower offer and one for a spare.  Last month I ported that number from PhonePower to Google Voice and all I had to do was delete PhonePower from my dashboard and add Google Voice, easy peasy, especially with the excellent advice I got here on the forum from SteveinWa and DrGeof, IIRC.  My forum name was Polarfrog in that account.

Yesterday, doom, that Obi died.

I pulled out the spare, connected it and tried adding it for about an hour, but no joy.

I started doing Google searches and reading the forum posts dealing with this problem and knew I was in for a long slog.  

After several hours of trying yesterday and into late last night without success I gave up and went to bed.  

Got up this morning and started again.  I'd made all the recommended changes, adding it to dmz in router, changing DNS via Obi web Portal etc. but none of those tweaks made any difference.

Then this morning I came across 2 recommendations that I think did make the difference.

1. Update the Obi firmware.  ***6 was no help, said no update available.  But, I came across a post by SteveInWA that included a link to the latest firmware.  I downloaded it, went into the Obi web portal and did a manual update.

2. I came across a recommendation that I should sign in with my Google account.  When I set up my ObiTalk account in 2015 I just use a non Google email and password.  But after seeing that recommendation I signed out and signed back in using "Google Sign In".

Within a few tries my Obi was added to my dashboard and then I was able to add Google Voice right away as SP1.

I'm in no way knowledgeable about Obi or ObiTalk or phone systems in general.  I do have some knowledge of computers and am comfortable using them and most software.  

I also have no way of quantifying whether the 2 changes I noted above made the difference or not, but I believe they did.  So, hope this helps some else.

Thanks to SteveInWA and DrGeof and all the folks who give so much help here on the forum!

SteveInWA

Good work!  Thanks for reporting your experience.

happytap

KookieKevin

OK, so I just had success installing an Obi200 and an Obi202.  They were somewhat older devices (prior to Polycom).

The key step appears to be updating to the firmware to the one on this page:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0  (Here's a direct link to the firmware but I recommend going to that webpage and downloading from there:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw )

You have to go to the device's webpage (for example 192.168.1.50) and login (default admin/admin).  From there go to the System Management on the left which expands to allow clicking Device Update.  (Caveat: I'm looking up the names following updating the firmware, so the names may have changed in the update)

Upload the firmware and allow to reboot (estimated time: 5 minutes)

After I updated the firmware, I was able to add the device the first time(!).

If you have an Obi202 (the device with a WAN and LAN port and two phone jacks), you may have to enable the device webpage to log in.  This webpage describes how to enable the device webpage:  https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

Key steps to enabling the webpage:
- Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi202
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save