News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBI, Can't Set-up

Started by webraider, November 02, 2011, 08:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webraider

Finally got my new Obi 110 from Amazon.  I Hooked it up to my Ethernet Switch (NETGEAR FS105NA Switch 5Port) and I noticed that the power light always blinks.  I tried to set it up online by dialing the number but it never found my device.  Thinking that maybe it was the switch, I plugged my device directly into my cable modem and found that the power light continued to blink.  Is there something else I can do or do I have a defective unit?

Stewart

Is there a separate router in your network?  If so, post make, model, how connected, any special settings.

Is your cable modem also a router?  Make / model?  (If your modem has only one Ethernet port and does not have Wi-Fi, it's not a router.)

Do you have business Internet service with multiple IP addresses?

If you have no router and a consumer Internet service, the OBi will not work in your system, because it and your computer would each need their own IP addresses, but the ISP provides only one.  If this is your situation, you can test by disconnecting both power and Ethernet to your cable modem.  Wait 30 seconds, power up the modem and wait for it to come ready.  Then, connect the OBi to the modem and power it up.  It should get an IP address and the power light should stop blinking.  To get the modem working with your computer again, you will need to cycle the modem power once more.

webraider

I only have a Cable modem with a single ethernet port and a Ethernet switch.  Will a router work instead? 

Stewart

Quote from: webraider on November 03, 2011, 01:37:38 AM
I only have a Cable modem with a single ethernet port and a Ethernet switch.  Will a router work instead? 
Yes, you need a router -- the switch by itself won't work.  If your router has four LAN Ethernet ports (most do), just plug your PC into one of them and the OBi into another; the switch will not be needed.  Of course, you also need to connect the WAN (Internet) port of the router to your cable modem.

Whenever you change the device connected to a cable modem, you need to power the modem off and on again, in order for it to recognize the new device.

webraider

Thanks Stewart.. Everything is working.  Now I just have to figure out how to get the Message waiting indicator to turn on when there's a vm in Google. but that's not a buggy as it email's me the VM's.  Kinda cool.