News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Obi200 through a PC wireless

Started by magno_grail, May 02, 2021, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magno_grail

I did not ask if Obi made a specialized USB WiFi dongle to wirelessly connect, I asked about a wired connection to a PC which wirelessly connected to the internet.
I finally found someone who did make it work through a PC WiFI so it should work on a raspberry.
USB protocols are pretty standardized. The Obi has a 32 bit ARM system on a chip so it would not have been hard for them to include a generic driver for a USB WiFI dongle.
A search on google for "usb wifi power output" returned this after the advertisements :
https://www.radiolabs.com/wireless/wifi-cards/high-power-usb-wifi/802-11ac-usb-wifi-card/
Under Specifications :
Transmit Power (ERP)
802.11A – 1000mW + 5dB antenna (30dBm)
802.11N variable depending on bit rate
802.11b: 1000mW (27dBm)
802.11g: 1000mW (30dBm) guaranteed specs
(802.11AC- Power combined via 2.4 and 5.8 GHz

Receive Sensitivity   802.11b: -101dBm (typical) at 11Mbps
-94dBm (typical) at 6Mbps
802.11g: -92dBm (typical) at 54Mbps
-98dBm (typical) at 1Mbps
802.11N – Variable on data rates
802.11A – (typical) -99 dBm
All sensitivity outlined, is based on low potential noise floor.
Working Range   Outdoor: Up to 5825 ' (more possible with external antenna connection)
@300 Mbps, 5820 ' (1 Mile) @ 1Mbps
Greater working range possible depending on access point. During initial testing, RadioLabs was able to connect to an external access point, 2.8 miles away, line of sight, RV park using external access point. Your mileage may vary. Theoretical line of sight, perfect conditions, over flat ground – 4 miles.

Taoman

Quote from: magno_grail on May 05, 2021, 08:54:59 AM
I asked about a wired connection to a PC which wirelessly connected to the internet.

And azrobert told you exactly how to do that which you have apparently ignored.

Connect the OBi200 via ethernet cable to the RJ45 port on your PC's lan card. You connect to the facility's router via the PC's WiFi card. You then bridge the two together so your OBi has access to the Internet. Not sure what performance you would get but it does work.
It's the same configuration used when troubleshooting a problem with your OBi and you want to run wireshark or some other protocol analyzer on your PC.

drgeoff

Quote from: magno_grail on May 05, 2021, 08:54:59 AMThe Obi has a 32 bit ARM system on a chip so it would not have been hard for them to include a generic driver for a USB WiFI dongle.
A search on google for "usb wifi power output" returned this after the advertisements :
https://www.radiolabs.com/wireless/wifi-cards/high-power-usb-wifi/802-11ac-usb-wifi-card/
Under Specifications :
Transmit Power (ERP)
802.11A – 1000mW + 5dB antenna (30dBm)
802.11N variable depending on bit rate
802.11b: 1000mW (27dBm)
802.11g: 1000mW (30dBm) guaranteed specs
(802.11AC- Power combined via 2.4 and 5.8 GHz

Receive Sensitivity   802.11b: -101dBm (typical) at 11Mbps
-94dBm (typical) at 6Mbps
802.11g: -92dBm (typical) at 54Mbps
-98dBm (typical) at 1Mbps
802.11N – Variable on data rates
802.11A – (typical) -99 dBm
All sensitivity outlined, is based on low potential noise floor.
Working Range   Outdoor: Up to 5825 ' (more possible with external antenna connection)
@300 Mbps, 5820 ' (1 Mile) @ 1Mbps
Greater working range possible depending on access point. During initial testing, RadioLabs was able to connect to an external access point, 2.8 miles away, line of sight, RV park using external access point. Your mileage may vary. Theoretical line of sight, perfect conditions, over flat ground – 4 miles.
1. You clearly are not paying attention.  There is no such thing as a "generic driver for a USB WiFI dongle."  Heck, even different Wi-Fi chipsets from the same maker need different drivers. For example, peruse https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/advanced-search/505?Itemid=276

Or look at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wn725n/ which is the download page for a TP-Link Wi-Fi dongle.  Note that the same model number had 3 hardware versions and each one needs a different driver.  Do you think that TP-Link would go to the trouble of having 3 different drivers if a single generic driver was possible?

2.  Those specs alone will not enable anyone to calculate how that USB Wi-Fi card will perform in your environment.  If my car has a specified top speed of 120 mph and even if an independent testing organisation has verified that, does it mean I can reach the supermarket, 10 miles away as the crow flies, in 5 minutes?

3.  No-one said that connecting an ethernet cable from OBi to LAN port of a computer and thence via Wi-Fi to an Access Point and on to the internet is not possible.  I suggested that an OBiWIFI is likely to perform just as well (or as badly) and have less downsides.

Anyway, your problem is your problem and no-one is compelling you to deviate from whatever path you select to attempt a solution.