News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Ported from F9 to VOIP.MS outgoing OK - no incoming.

Started by vtsnaab, May 04, 2021, 12:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

Thanks to the generosity of the good members here - all is well now.

Howdy Folks.
Long time & all that !!
It is amazing how having our reliable Obi200s really translates directly to staying quiet here despite looking at the new posts quite regularly.

I am trying to help my very good (but totally non-techie) friend with his Obi 100 presently.

It was on Future9 for a few years - but now that has become a zombie company so he got that DID ported to VOIP.MS.

He tried setting it up himself via their tutorial - and got support from them after that as well - but as the title here says, after all that - outgoing calls are OK - no incoming calls ring through.

What immediately came to my mind was the idea of a factory reset in case of some lingering setting from F9 via the ***8  and/or making 100% certain that it is not also reaching the portal somehow...

Since it has been so long since I had to mess with a 110 though, I wanted to check here 1st - and searching here turned up 30+ pages of results for ALL models no matter what I thought to try as search terms for this.

Please help ??

Thanks for any assistance with this.

drgeoff

Dial ***1 and note the IP address.  Point a browser at that and log in. Username is admin and the default password is admin.  Click on Status and check that the applicable SP - presumably SP1 - is showing as registered.

If yes, check that the applicable SP's InboundCallRoute is ph.

vtsnaab

HUGE Thanks Drgeoff !!

I found InboundCallRoute under voice services=> SP1 service, and it is checked, and shows this:
{>69308161:ph}

Should that instead say:
{>ph}

Or ???

Thanks Again !!

drgeoff

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 04, 2021, 02:39:43 PM
HUGE Thanks Drgeoff !!

I found InboundCallRoute under voice services=> SP1 service, and it is checked, and shows this:

Should that instead say:
{>ph}

Or ???

Thanks Again !!
Just:

ph

I think you already know about making changes using the local web interface versus via Expert mode on the portal.

azrobert

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 04, 2021, 02:39:43 PM

That code is used to block spam calls coming directly from the internet, not the provider. It's usually the UserID used to register to the provider, so that number is probably the account number for Future9. Your friend probably had trouble with these calls to go thru the trouble of adding the code.

vtsnaab

YAY !! Thanks Again Drgeoff !!!

Made that change.

I cannot verify success as yet because he is a 3rd shifter & is sleeping presently - hopefully we'll speak again before he heads out to work tonight.

I did find the desired info (I think ??) to clear its uses of the portal, as shown here:
https://wiki.voip.ms/w/index.php?title=File:Step1.png&filetimestamp=20140603165826
And it looks OK at his end.

Given that (I think...) the 100 is not supported via the portal anymore, is there any other setting I need to change to be 100% absolutely sure that it doesn't reach the portal anymore ??

Thanks also to Azrobert !!
I thought it looked like his f9 userid & had no idea why it was there - but also the checkbox had been empty & it is now checked.

Hopefully his calls will now ring in & that f9 is now all gone from his configuration.

It seems certain that f9 is either mostly or all gone from the VOIP world now.
When his service from there got super bad, I had a look over at DSLReports & found info indicating that Nitzan had abandoned the service & seems to be working for some company in CA these days.
Combined with the f9 site doing very strange things and the total lack of any support responses for a couple of months - it was really time for a change to a better ITSP.

Thanks Again Folks !!

drgeoff

Despite the red messages there, the portal still supports the OBi100 and OBi110 just the same as it always did.

vtsnaab

Okee dokee - thanks again !!

May I take for granted that with autoprovisioning shut off locally that the portal is now a non-concern for him ??

drgeoff

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 04, 2021, 03:49:57 PM
Okee dokee - thanks again !!

May I take for granted that with autoprovisioning shut off locally that the portal is now a non-concern for him ??
If you mean "Obitalk Provisioning" set to "Disabled", yes.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2021, 03:43:10 PM
Despite the red messages there, the portal still supports the OBi100 and OBi110 just the same as it always did.

Hard to say if that's still true given the ongoing problems with adding a device to the dashboard. I've gotten reports that once you remove a 1xx series device from OBiTALK you can't add it back. When a user tried to confirm this with Poly tech support he received the following:

Quote from: Poly support
I did understand your previous email, to the letter, there is no misunderstanding there.

I have confirmed this information with our Senior Staff and have confirmed that the models OBi100 and OBi110 are no longer supported (for Google Voice or any other Service Providers) because they have been discontinued.

Kind regards

Clark

So it "appears" that if you have an OBi1xx series device already added to the OBiTALK web portal it will continue to function normally. But if you remove the device from the portal you can't add it back again. If true, this is a big deal for people with OBi1xx devices they manage remotely from the portal.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on May 04, 2021, 04:03:30 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2021, 03:43:10 PM

Hard to say if that's still true given the ongoing problems with adding a device to the dashboard. I've gotten reports that once you remove a 1xx series device from OBiTALK you can't add it back. When a user tried to confirm this with Poly tech support he received the following:

Quote from: Poly support
I did understand your previous email, to the letter, there is no misunderstanding there.

I have confirmed this information with our Senior Staff and have confirmed that the models OBi100 and OBi110 are no longer supported (for Google Voice or any other Service Providers) because they have been discontinued.

Kind regards

Clark

So it "appears" that if you have an OBi1xx series device already added to the OBiTALK web portal it will continue to function normally. But if you remove the device from the portal you can't add it back again. If true, this is a big deal for people with OBi1xx devices they manage remotely from the portal.

Thanks for that.  I have one OBi100 and two OBi110s on my dashboard though the 100 is the only one I configure via the dashboard.

Though there has been concrete evidence that Obihai support don't always know what they are talking about I'm not intending to purposely check the veracity in this instance.  :(

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2021, 04:15:55 PM

Though there has been concrete evidence that Obihai support don't always know what they are talking about I'm not intending to purposely check the veracity in this instance.  :(

Indeed. I have an old 110 stored in a closet somewhere. If I find the time and get motivated enough I'll try and resurrect it and try to add it to OBiTALK to prove to myself one way or the other.

But I was sent a back and forth email thread between a 1xx user and Poly tech support and it was pretty clear the Poly tech knew exactly what the user was asking about and he was adamant you can no longer add a 1xx device to the OBiTALK portal.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on May 04, 2021, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2021, 04:15:55 PM

Indeed. I have an old 110 stored in a closet somewhere. If I find the time and get motivated enough I'll try and resurrect it and try to add it to OBiTALK to prove to myself one way or the other.

But I was sent a back and forth email thread between a 1xx user and Poly tech support and it was pretty clear the Poly tech knew exactly what the user was asking about and he was adamant you can no longer add a 1xx device to the OBiTALK portal.
But currently, given the issues with getting any OBi added to a dashboard, it will be much more difficult to definitively prove they are correct than to prove they are wrong.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
But currently, given the issues with getting any OBi added to a dashboard, it will be much more difficult to definitively prove they are correct than to prove they are wrong.

So I got motivated. I probably tried adding my OB110 about 50 times with no luck.

I then removed an OBi202 from the dashboard I wasn't really using and did a factory reset. I then tried to add the OBI202 back to the OBITALK dashboard. It added without issue on the third try.

Does this prove anything? Probably not. But my advice to everyone is to NOT remove your OBi1xx device from the OBi dashboard if you still want to manage it via OBiTALK.

vtsnaab

Time to add a final bit of gratitude here...

Since the last traces of f9 were undone & settings made a advised here, all is now well.
Being able to use his Obi100 with VOIP.MS via their unlimited offering for ~$5/month suits him very well & in his opinion better than the PAYG deal he had with f9.

His gratitude is being entered here via me as he is not a member, thusly:

Thanks Folks !!!

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on May 04, 2021, 05:29:15 PM
So I got motivated. I probably tried adding my OB110 about 50 times with no luck.

Can you do a test for me? There was a disagreement on whether you can make a call over OBiTalk to another device when one or both are not on the dashboard. Neither of us wanted to remove a device from the dashboard to test this. Can you call the OBi202 from the OBi110 and then the reverse. I know you can call the echo test without being registered. Thanks!

Edit:
I think the call will fail.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on May 05, 2021, 01:15:15 PM
Can you call the OBi202 from the OBi110 and then the reverse. I know you can call the echo test without being registered. Thanks!

Edit:

I would have never guessed this considering my OBi110 cannot be added to the OBi dashboard but.......... OBi to OBi calls worked just fine in both directions. Don't OBi to OBi calls require OBiTALK? How would my OBi110 be using OBiTALK when it's not even registered with the OBi portal? Must be communicating directly with the OBiTALK servers I guess.

Edit: Of course I had to do the next logical test:
I removed the OBi202 from the OBi dashboard and tried OBi to OBi calls again with the 110. Again, calls worked fine in both directions even though neither of them were registered on the OBiTALK dashboard.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on May 05, 2021, 02:12:53 PM
Quote from: azrobert on May 05, 2021, 01:15:15 PM
Can you call the OBi202 from the OBi110 and then the reverse. I know you can call the echo test without being registered. Thanks!

Edit:

I would have never guessed this considering my OBi110 cannot be added to the OBi dashboard but.......... OBi to OBi calls worked just fine in both directions. Don't OBi to OBi calls require OBiTALK? How would my OBi110 be using OBiTALK when it's not even registered with the OBi portal? Must be communicating directly with the OBiTALK servers I guess.

Color me confused. Now I'm trying to consider what this implies........

Actually, OBiTALK devices, right out of the box, can call to other OBiTALK devices, and can receive calls from other OBiTALK devices, without being registered on a portal account.  After all, they can call the OBi echo test number.  It's baked into the firmware (the device registers to the OBiTALK network as soon as it gets an IP address). 

It's been a while since I tried it, so I tested these scenarios today:

• Call from an unregistered OBi 110 to other OBiTALK devices, regardless of the other device's registration status:
    works.
  • Calling to an unregistered OBi 110 from a registered or unregistered OBi 200/202/2182:  works.
  • Add an unregistered OBi 200 to the OBiTALK dashboard:  works.
  • Add an unregistered OBi 110 to the OBiTALK dashboard:  fails

azrobert

Thanks Taoman!

I've been proven wrong and drgeoff was correct. Many many many years ago I deleted my OBi110 from OBiTalk because of problems. I tried calling another device and the call failed. I added the OBi110 back to OBiTalk and calls started working again. Either my test was faulty or the firmware has changed.