News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best Option for OBI200 and Community Internet

Started by johkar, May 10, 2021, 06:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johkar

Hi, I'm moving my Mom to an assisted living community that only has password protected community internet.  I'd like to continue using her OBI200 with Google Voice as her phone service.  What are the best options to do this?  OBIWifi, network extender with direct connection option, old router?  The community has excellent internet with no dead spots.

GeeObi

If you're saying it's wi-fi then I would suggest a router set up as a client bridge with the OBi200 plugged into the router. She can also use a computer plugged into the router as well. The router should provide a more solid connection to the wi-fi than, for example, the OBi wi-fi dongle.

Client bridge mode (internet sourced through radio) is not very common on routers unless you install DD-WRT firmware or similar.

drgeoff

Quote from: johkar on May 10, 2021, 06:01:00 AM
Hi, I'm moving my Mom to an assisted living community that only has password protected community internet.  I'd like to continue using her OBI200 with Google Voice as her phone service.  What are the best options to do this?  OBIWifi, network extender with direct connection option, old router?  The community has excellent internet with no dead spots.
What do you mean by "password protected"? Often that means a pop-up appears when attempting to  browse the internet.  The password is then entered on that page.  An OBi has no browser so no way to respond with the password.