News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 + GV is suddenly dropping calls on connect and Caller ID not working

Started by brossow, June 09, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brossow

Bought our OBi202 back in May 2013 and it's been rock-solid. We use Google Voice as the main provider and Localphone for international calls. Virtually zero issues for 8+ years. For the past week or so, however, the OBi202 more often than not (but not always) will crash and reboot itself if we try to answer an incoming call, and it rarely (but not never) displays the caller ID anymore. Both began about the same time. Nothing whatsoever has changed that may have caused these issues in terms of configuration, connections, etc.

To troubleshoot, I've disconnected and reconnected all the lines. I've done a backup, downloaded and installed the latest firmware (it hadn't been updated in ages; worked great and I didn't want to mess with it), even reset everything and restored from the backup. Same problems.

Before I splash out for a replacement (it's more than paid for itself, to say the least) does anyone have any other suggestions about what it could be other than a hardware issue with the device itself? Thanks in advance.
OBi202 • Google Voice (domestic) • Localphone (international)

Taoman

Have you tried using another phone to see if it made any difference?

Both issues could potentially be caused by a flakey phone. Unlikely, but possible.

drgeoff

I can't imagine how a phone could crash an OBi. I could give some credence to a faulty OBi power unit causing the described problems.

brossow

You know how sometimes your car will be making a sound for days/weeks/months and you finally give in and decide to take it to the mechanic and the sound suddenly disappears? Knock on wood, since shortly after my original post, the phone has been perfectly fine again. The only things I did after posting were unplugging and replugging the RJ11 and ethernet cables again, which I'd already done previously (more than once). Go figure....
OBi202 • Google Voice (domestic) • Localphone (international)

GlennA

there definitely appears to be a widespread problem. I received several emails today saying my service was interrupted and then that it was fixed. Now it is out. I cannot make or receive calls. The dashboard says "token error"

drgeoff

Quote from: GlennA on June 11, 2021, 07:56:46 PM
there definitely appears to be a widespread problem. I received several emails today saying my service was interrupted and then that it was fixed. Now it is out. I cannot make or receive calls. The dashboard says "token error"
Yes there are already several threads about the token error that many are experiencing. This thread is about a problem specific to the OP and has is totally unrelated to "token error".

telly0

I've experienced the same problem for the last 2 days. I've need following a reddit discussion on this. Wish there were some official statement. https://www.reddit.com/r/Googlevoice/comments/nxubgn/google_voice_token_error_message_on_poly_obitalk/?sort=new

azrobert

Quotedrt44090
Here's what I managed to do to get both my Obihai devices (200 & 202) "connected" and working again. (Yes, I suffered from the "registration not required", as well as the "token", issues).
1.   In the Obitalk home page, select the desired device ... and then click "OBi Expert Configuration". Confirm that you actually want to go to that screen.
2.   Then click "Enter OBi Expert"
3.   On the left panel, under "Production Information" select:
SYSTEM MANAGEMENT » WAN Settings → or ←
ROUTER CONFIGURATION » WAN SETTINGS (menu changes between 200 & 202)
4.   You then need to unclick the check marks under "OBiTALK Settings" for:
"DefaultGateway"
"DNSServer1"
"DNSServer2"
5.   The check mark of the above 3 items will switch to "Device Default"; unclick those as well.
6.   Default gateway is the IP of your home/business router
DNSServer1 I set to: "1.1.1.1" and DNSServer2 I set to "8.8.8.8"
7.   Save the settings and then reboot your device.
Changing the Default Gateways ... and indicating the proper DNS servers to utilize brought me back to up-and-running; hope it does the same for you!
David

Thanks to drt44090 on Reddit and telly0 for the link to the Reddit thread!

The above fixed the problem for me, but not initially. I had DNSServer1/2 set on my router. After changing my router GV connected on my OBi200 and OBi1032.

Some people on Reddit say it fixed their problem and others not.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on June 12, 2021, 05:06:40 PM

The above fixed the problem for me, but not initially. I had DNSServer1/2 set on my router. After changing my router GV connected on my OBi200 and OBi1032.

How long has it remained stable for you? I've had no problem with any of my OBi devices.
I've been using 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as my secondary for quite awhile now.

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on June 12, 2021, 05:29:19 PM
How long has it remained stable for you? I've had no problem with any of my OBi devices.
I've been using 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as my secondary for quite awhile now.

We went to a local restaurant for a couple hours and when we came back the 1032 was still connected, but the 200 had the token error. Powering it off for about 10 minutes "fixed" the problem. A quick power cycle didn't help. The 1032 has been up for about 4 hours.

I previously had 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 set in my router. I'm skeptical that the DNS changes fixed the problem.

GeeObi

It probably just needs a STUN server enabled.
Under Service Providers, ITSP, General:
STUNEnable  checked
STUNserver  stun.l.google.com
X_STUNServerPort  19302

MSRobi

Quote from: Taoman on June 12, 2021, 05:29:19 PM

Interesting.  This morning I changed from "1.1.1.1"/"8.8.8.8" to your config "8.8.8.8"/"8.8.4.4" using obi expert config. I saw the changes applied to my Obi202 device a few seconds after I saved on the dashboard.  A minute or so after it rebooted, the green lights to the phone lines were off and I get the usual "no service provider" on outgoing calls.

So I reversed my changes back to "1.1.1.1"/"8.8.8.8", device rebooted as usual, and the green lights have been on and no problems making outgoing calls now for about half hour.

Of course, this is just my experience, your mileage may vary.

paul1149

Thank you, @telly0 and @azrobert. This is working for me thus far.

Virginian

I have also the same issue.
The OBI connected phones suddenly stopped working. It gives a message "The   Phone is not connected"
Is there a server issue? I heard several people have this issue

drgeoff

Quote from: Virginian on June 13, 2021, 07:39:47 AM
I have also the same issue.
The OBI connected phones suddenly stopped working. It gives a message "The   Phone is not connected"
Is there a server issue? I heard several people have this issue
Read the post I linked to above.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GeeObi on June 12, 2021, 10:40:24 PM
It probably just needs a STUN server enabled.
Under Service Providers, ITSP, General:
STUNEnable  checked
STUNserver  stun.l.google.com
X_STUNServerPort  19302

This is BS.  Do not mess with your OBi device's settings.  A fix for the "token error" failures is now being rolled out and everyone should be back online by tomorrow.

GeeObi

It fixed my Obi1022 which was showing 'connecting 0.0.0.0' no matter what else I tried including: cycling power, changing DNS