News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Logical FXS to FXO Relay disable?

Started by plugger2, November 05, 2011, 06:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plugger2

Is it possible to disable the "Logical FXS to FXO Relay" (aka PSTN fallback) for "For Service Continuity in Case of VoIP Service Failure"?

I actually prefer service *discontinuity* in case of VoIP service failure. I don't want to be making a PSTN call inadvertantly because a VSP becomes unavailable for any reason.

I can't see where the options here are configurable, if they are.

RonR

The PHONE Port to LINE Port connectiion is made under two circumstances:

1. Power is removed from the OBi.  There is no way to disable this feature.

2. Dialing # : This feature could be disabled by removing the following rules from from the PHONE Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

plugger2

Quote from: RonR on November 05, 2011, 09:37:23 AM
The PHONE Port to LINE Port connectiion is made under two circumstances:

1. Power is removed from the OBi.  There is no way to disable this feature.

2. Dialing # : This feature could be disabled by removing the following rules from from the PHONE Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

OK, thanks RonR, so this isn't an automatic "failover" feature that is triggered when registration is lost or the Obi110 otherwise detects that Internet/Voice Service Provider connectivity is lost?

That's good news if that's the case. Personally, I've never liked automatic "failover" to PSTN as a feature, as it seems just too easy to inadvertently make a PSTN call without realising it. I was thinking from the brief description in the admin guide (v31.03.11, p 124):

Physical FXS to FXO RelayFor Service Continuity in Case of Power Failure
Logical FXS to FXO Relay For Service Continuity in Case of VoIP Service Failure

that the Obi may have implemented the automatic "failover" on VoIP service loss similar to way it is done on the SPA3102, for example (although on that unit, you can explicitly disable the feature, of course.)  Perhaps a little bit of additional onfo of the sort you've provided above might be a useful addition (unless it's already in there and I've just missed it.)

RonR

Quote from: plugger2 on November 05, 2011, 07:28:12 PM
OK, thanks RonR, so this isn't an automatic "failover" feature that is triggered when registration is lost or the Obi110 otherwise detects that Internet/Voice Service Provider connectivity is lost?

There's a lot about the OBi that's undocumented, but as far as I can determine, the PHONE Port to LINE Port pass-through relay only makes that connection under the two conditions I described.

plugger2

Quote from: RonR on November 05, 2011, 07:32:30 PM
There's a lot about the OBi that's undocumented, but as far as I can determine, the PHONE Port to LINE Port pass-through relay only makes that connection under the two conditions I described.

Some quick'n'dirty experimentation verifies that automatic PSTN failover is NOT occuring when Internet/VoIP services are unavailable (which is a good thing, from my point of view.)

- With the ethernet port disconnected, an attempt to place a call which would normally be diverted through SP2 does not proceed. Just silence... no voice error messages or sort tone or anything like that.

- OTOH, a call that would normally be diverted through the Obi110 FXO port does proceed normally even with the ethernet LAN cable disconnected, which is reassuring.

This is all as it should be, IMHO.

Ideally, I'd even prefer the physical relay power failure "failover" could be disabled, as it would be unfortunate to accidently find yourself dialling out on PSTN due to the power supply to the Obi110 fails or became unplugged. But I can live with it -- I can see why there is a safety issue to consider (mind you, in a full power outage, your phone handset isn't going to work anyway, unless you have a corded phone, or are on a UPS.)

So the Obi110 functionality doesn't need attention, but arguably the admin documentation could be made a bit less ambiguous on this point.

RonR

Quote from: plugger2 on November 05, 2011, 11:40:19 PM
Ideally, I'd even prefer the physical relay power failure "failover" could be disabled, as it would be unfortunate to accidently find yourself dialling out on PSTN due to the power supply to the Obi110 fails or became unplugged.

That can't happen without a redesign of the hardware as the the PHONE Port to LINE Port connection is made when the relay is disengaged (i.e. it has no power applied).  I actually think the current design is proper given the failsafe mode the relay is intended to serve.  And yes, I have a corded telephone available in addition to cordless ones AND everything is on a UPS.  I have full Internet/VoIP phone service even during power outages.