News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 and GV: Token error; "Registration not required", can't re-register GV

Started by paul1149, June 13, 2021, 05:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul1149

A few days a go Obi 202 stopped working. Attempts to call out bring a 'did not receive a response from provider' voice error. I thought the notices were due to power outages, but no, it's the unit.

I have a "token error". I tried to re-register with GV; then it said "registration not needed", and still wouldn't work.

I rebooted obi, router, and modem. Now I don't get the voice error, `did not receive a response from provider`, but there is no attempt at ringing the phone. And now the ObiTalk errors says: 'Connecting to 0.0.0.0;Token Error'. At least before it had a realistic-looking IP address.

Not looking good here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

There are dozens of posts in several threads about this. No need to start another one.

paul1149

I tried the only remedy I found here, which I documented above, to no avail. Not sure what else I could do.

SteveInWA

Quote from: paul1149 on June 13, 2021, 06:56:55 AM
Found a solution from a nearby thread; working thus far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Googlevoice/comments/nxubgn/google_voice_token_error_message_on_poly_obitalk/h1jc58j/

If I could post a gigantic BULLSHIT next to that guy's "solution" I would.  It's tiresome explaining WHY it's bullshit, but while harmless, it won't solve the problem, which can't be solved by any user settings.

MSRobi

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 13, 2021, 04:22:17 PM
If I could post a gigantic BULLSHIT next to that guy's "solution" I would.  It's tiresome explaining WHY it's bullshit, but while harmless, it won't solve the problem, which can't be solved by any user settings.

I wouldn't be too fast in declaring it bullshit.  I suspect that changing DNSServer1 to 1.1.1.1 caused a different DNS lookup to a backend server (or servers) that weren't affected, thus causing it to work on MY device (can't speak for others at different locations).

I did a few tests, and only when I used DNSServer1 "1.1.1.1", did I have full success.

I do plan on reversing the DNSServer1 and DNSServer2 settings back to the defaults tomorrow because I don't know if using 1.1.1.1 won't cause other problems longer term.

SteveInWA

There is no harm in permanently using Google DNS:  8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or CloudFlare: 1.1.1.1 or Quad9 DNS:  9.9.9.9 

All are high-performance DNS with no redirects to ad sites selling domains, etc.  Pick whichever one you wish.  In fact, I recommend setting one of these DNS in your router, not at the client level.

However, none will fix the current Google Voice issue, which is digital certificate-related.

The problem should go away for all users sometime tomorrow.

MSRobi

Thanks for the advice, and a big thanks for all your help in contacting the right people that could get this problem fixed.  I use Obi202 w/GVoice only, have cell phones as backups, and loving not paying a phone bill every month.

I expect problems like we had to happen intermittently...cell phone backup is good enough for me.  This forum is the best place to get info when the inevitable outages happen.