News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does my Google Voice's area code need match my 911 service area?

Started by highvoltage, June 29, 2021, 08:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highvoltage

I'm considering getting an Obihai device so I can pair Google Voice with a 3rd party 911 service such as Anveo. One problem is that my Google Voice number is from a different state, so the area code of my Google Voice number doesn't match the area code for my current address. Will my current address and phone number show up properly if I dial 911, or do I need to change the Google Voice number to have an area code that better reflects where I live?

GeeObi

The 911 service is completely independent of the Google Voice service.

highvoltage

One reason I'm concerned is that disclaimers call attention to the potential problems when using a VOIP number whose area code does not match the actual geographic location. Here's one example, with the relevant section quoted: https://www.bandwidth.com/glossary/enhanced-911-e911/

QuoteYou May Not Be Able to Reach the Correct Emergency Services If You Have A Telephone Number That Does Not Match Your Actual Geographic Location. VoIP services are technically capable of being used in locations that are not associated with the traditional geographic area of a telephone number. These capababilities can cause 911 problems however. All 911 capabilities will only be available in the location that you have associated with the particular Bandwidth assigned direct-inward-dial ("DID") telephone number assigned to the Customer. For Basic 911 Services or E911 to be accurately routed to the appropriate emergency call center, the Customer must provide accurate DID telephone numbers as the call-back telephone number for all 911 calls and accurate address information. Additionally, if you are using the service in a location that uses a different area code than the area code in the number you are using with your VoIP service, when you dial 911 you may not be able to reach any emergency personnel. Even if you do reach emergency personnel, your call may not reach the emergency personnel near your actual physical location and the emergency personnel may not be able to transfer your call or respond to your emergency.

drgeoff

Irrespective of all the above the frequency and unpredictability of GV problems mean that many here consider it unsuitable for emergency use.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 30, 2021, 12:55:06 AM
Irrespective of all the above the frequency and unpredictability of GV problems mean that many here consider it unsuitable for emergency use.

Well, nobody would be using their Google Voice number to place emergency calls (it is not possible to call 911 via GV, although technically, you could call a local number for the PSAP, a bad idea).  Adding 911 service via the OBiTALK portal adds the correct digit map rule to route 911 calls to the non-GV SP.

And, I can't speak for Anveo, but when signing up for 911 service with Callcentric, the area code is moot, because they create a special call-back number for your account, used for 911, and you must submit your actual street address for verification, so it has nothing whatsoever to do with the telephone number's location in the network.  The 911 PSAP gets your street address when you call.

Northstar

Here is the 911/VOIP info as posted in the CallCentric FAQs:

How does Callcentric Provision 911 Service?

We do not provision 911 on any Phone Number purchased via our Service(or Number acquired from any other Provider). We send out a hidden number during a 911 call. And this number will be assigned to your account when 911 service is first activated. It will tied to your Name and Address.

The reason we do this is because a large portion of our customers have multiple DID's on their account and in general people are switching products around, etc. this way you have one number that is always used for 911 on your account regardless of the other products that you have, so if you want to move the DID to another account of yours then it won't affect your 911 service, note that this also saves money because otherwise we would have to re-provision your 911 any time you made such a change. Another example is if you are forwarding your DID to another location and someone at your house has an emergency and uses your Callcentric account to call 911 if the emergency response center needs to call you back then they call back the DID that is hidden and therefore will always ring where your Device or Softphone is physically registered.

Another reason that we implement 911 in this way is because we have a large number of clients who do not even have DIDs(or phone numbers) on their accounts, if they call 911 then 911 needs a number to be able to reach them at, this way we have one central and simple way of implementing 911, the least complicated the better and also that way there is less room for error so that 911 should always work.

So, essentially think of your account being mapped to a hidden phone number, internally, when a 911 call is placed. And if the Emergency Center ever needs to call you back, the operator will know which number to call. The call will be routed to the SIP Client(Hardware/Software) that placed the call.

You may find out what your 911 Phone Number is, by dialing 933 from your Callcentric SIP Client. This will only work if you have 911 activated on your Account.
RETURN TO TOP

Why is the Hidden Phone Number assigned for 911 not reachable?

The Phone Number provisioned for 911 can ONLY accept calls after a 911 call is placed under the Account. Should the Emergency Service personnel dial back, the calls will ring the SIP Extension that was used to place the 911 call. Anyone can reach you on this Number, for the next 2 hours.