News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

"The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider"

Started by highvoltage, July 21, 2021, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highvoltage

I've gotten the above error twice in the past 3 days while trying to dial out. The first time, the error was resolved when I rebooted the modem, then my OBi 200. I had been having problems with my ISP's VOIP service (doesn't use the OBi) the first time, so I didn't think much of it; the problem may have been with the Internet connection at the time. But the second time, my OBi line was working perfectly in the half an hour prior to the sudden and unexpected error. Rebooting the modem alone did not fix the problem, but rebooting the modem followed by the OBi (I disconnected and reconnected the OBi's power cable) did.

I Googled for the problem but found a huge variety in the responses, ranging from DNS problems to connection instability. I tried what I could, but some of the tips require tinkering with expert settings, and I'm not sure how that will affect my 911 line, so I didn't dare go further without some guidance on my specific situation. Hijacking or reviving an ancient thread seemed inappropriate given the different possible causes, though I'm happy to try anything I must to troubleshoot.

What's the best way to begin diagnosing my problem?

SteveInWA

I read through all of your previous posts, and I wonder if you've done something non-standard with your installation   By the way, those ancient discussions you referenced with regard to using Google Voice on an OBiTALK device do not need to be rehashed, and I recommend that you ignore everything on DSLReports.  In short:  Google permits consumer use of its mostly-free, consumer version of Google Voice on OBiTALK 200-series ATAs and 2000-series IP phones.  Any other use isn't approved.

I suggest that you carefully read and follow my complete set of instructions in the post linked below, to start over from scratch.  Perform every step, in order, and do not skip any steps:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89071#msg89071

highvoltage

Thanks Steve. It's possible that I did something unusual by mistake. Looking at the original poster's reply in the thread with your guide, I noticed that he mentioned he had "restrictions on full management"; presumably he meant something that could prevent the OBi device from auto updating? I might have set a password on the OBi device because it's generally a bad idea, at least for routers, to leave "admin" as the default password. Could setting a password on the OBi device cause the kind of problem I'm having? If so, I guess doing all the steps you listed would certainly wipe out the old password, but I'm unclear about the security implications.

drgeoff

Quote from: highvoltage on July 22, 2021, 10:29:48 AM
Thanks Steve. It's possible that I did something unusual by mistake. Looking at the original poster's reply in the thread with your guide, I noticed that he mentioned he had "restrictions on full management"; presumably he meant something that could prevent the OBi device from auto updating? I might have set a password on the OBi device because it's generally a bad idea, at least for routers, to leave "admin" as the default password. Could setting a password on the OBi device cause the kind of problem I'm having? If so, I guess doing all the steps you listed would certainly wipe out the old password, but I'm unclear about the security implications.
The password has no effect on anything other than accessing the local web server management interface.

If/when your OBi200 is working properly dial ***1 and note the IP address that will be read out to you.  Write it down on a piece of paper and keep it handy near your computer.

The next time you get the "not received a response" error do these three things:

1.  Put the address noted above into a browser on your computer.  Does the login prompt appear?

2.  Dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  Do you reach the "Welcome to Obitalk and ......" recording?

3.  Post back here with the two yes or no answers.

SteveInWA

Quote from: highvoltage on July 22, 2021, 10:29:48 AM

Ignore ALL old discussions, everywhere.  A lot has changed.  Just follow my instructions to the letter.

highvoltage

Done! Instructions followed, to the letter. If you saw an earlier version of this post, please ignore the older version. I made a mistake somewhere and had to redo Steve's steps. Now I play the waiting game to see if the problem returns, or if I can enjoy cheap phone service for life.

Regarding the admin password, I found that the local web configuration feature is totally useless. I wasn't able to make an admin password stick until I used obitalk.com, at which point the admin password propagated to my local configuration. User password didn't stick either, and the default username and password wasn't user/user as the admin guide says on page 41, but I don't suppose that's a big deal, since a user-level password is unlikely to be able to change crucial settings. The only password I got to stick when configuring locally was the IVR password.

About the echo test and login prompt, I will definitely report back if I continue to experience problems. Since the problem was intermittent, it may take up to a week before I know for sure how stable my OBi200 is.

drgeoff

Unless and until you disable Obitalk Provisioning, almost all changes you make locally will be overwritten by the settings on the dashboard.

Note that I'm not advising you to do that.

jjtricket

Quote from: Mister on July 24, 2021, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2021, 01:59:31 AM
Unless and until you disable Obitalk Provisioning, almost all changes you make locally will be overwritten by the settings on the dashboard.

Note that I'm not advising you to do that.

SPAM

So lets see, you have 1 post and drgeoff has 5403 posts, stop being a loser and contribute something to this forum.

highvoltage

Well, it has been exactly one week since I reset everything per Steve's instructions, and things seem to be working flawlessly. The only problematic call I had all week was an outgoing call that resulted in a single beep instead of the call going through, but who knows if the problem was due to Google Voice or even on the recipient's end. Whatever the cause of that single problem, I had no further trouble when I immediately redialed the same number. And even during that one problematic call, I never heard the same error "The number your dialed has not received a response from the service provider", and the next call was successful even though I didn't reboot the OBi or my modem.

For these reasons, I consider the specific problem that prompted my original post solved. I want to thank SteveInWA, drgeoff, and everyone else who has tried to help me in my early days of trying out Obi devices. Even though setting up the device doesn't look difficult initially, many small things can go wrong, and the setbacks would be highly discouraging without the help of this great community. Without community support, I could easily see an inexperienced user running into an obscure problem and giving up.

highvoltage

Update: Unfortunately, the problem is back. The Internet connection is not an issue this time. I have not touched the device since I reset my configuration. Do I just have a bad Obi device?

MSRobi

Quote from: highvoltage on August 25, 2021, 12:56:31 PM
Update: Unfortunately, the problem is back. The Internet connection is not an issue this time. I have not touched the device since I reset my configuration. Do I just have a bad Obi device?

Nope, the issue is widespread, and it appears that the root of the problem is Google Voice this time.  Check numerous threads on this forum.  Also see this status page:

https://www.google.com/appsstatus/dashboard/incidents/cuYQpSPwGyTRb1Uuf4ED

highvoltage

Thanks, looks like you were right! My OBi is back to its normal working self. I didn't even know Google had a page showing past outages for its services. Nor did I know Google Voice was part of Google Workspace. I only have a normal Gmail account.

Despite complains about its reliability, historical data on the page you linked to shows that they've only had a few hours of outage every year. That's a pretty good record for a free service!

PDX_Mark

Quote from: highvoltage on August 25, 2021, 12:56:31 PM

Same problem here, and there seems to be no long term working resolution that I have found yet!

Seems to be on my 2 Obi200s not on my Obi202 . Poly refused a warranty replacement now the warranty has run out.

gmoi19

Steve's way is really effective. Thank you for your help. How about you guys?