News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Not Registering OBI200

Started by RolandP, July 23, 2021, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RolandP

Hi,

Been trying to setup a new Poly OBI200 with GV.  I have completed the setup multiple times, but GV does not register the OBI200 device in the Voice account.  The obitalk website says GV is setup and connected, but every outgoing call gets a 503 error, and incoming doesn't ring.  No sign of the obi in the Voice dashboard.

Not sure what to do, I've got the OBI in a DMZ at the moment, Chrome has no extensions enabled of any kind, no adblock or script stuff or anything.  Just bare Chrome.  I'm using Google credentials to login to the site, , the whole process runs to the script, again the Obitalk website says GV is connnected, but nothing on the GV side says or works. 

Help?  Is this related to the certificate/firmware chatter I'm seeing?  TIA

SteveInWA

Consumer routers do not need any changes made (DMZ, ports, etc) to use Google Voice.  You have some other problem.

First, prove that your Google Voice service actually works without the OBiTALK device.  Use a desktop or laptop computer's web browser, not a tablet or smartohone.  Sign into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice phone number and go here:  https://voice.google.com/u/0/calls  Do you see your Google Voice number at the top right of the page?  If not, you are either signed into the wrong Google account, or you don't have a Google Voice number.  You'll need to figure this out before continuing.

If you do see the number, then attempt to place a call from the web browser, using your computer's mic and speakers or a headset.  Does that work?  If not, report exactly what happens.  If it worked, then try calling your Google Voice number from some other phone number.  Does the call ring on your browser, and can you answer it?  If not, report exactly what happens.

drgeoff

Quote from: RolandP on July 23, 2021, 01:11:55 PM
Is this related to the certificate/firmware chatter I'm seeing?
No.

RolandP

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 23, 2021, 01:41:02 PM
First, prove that your Google Voice service actually works without the OBiTALK device.  Use a desktop or laptop computer's web browser, not a tablet or smartohone.  Sign into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice phone number and go here:  https://voice.google.com/u/0/calls  Do you see your Google Voice number at the top right of the page?  If not, you are either signed into the wrong Google account, or you don't have a Google Voice number.  You'll need to figure this out before continuing.

If you do see the number, then attempt to place a call from the web browser, using your computer's mic and speakers or a headset.  Does that work?  If not, report exactly what happens.  If it worked, then try calling your Google Voice number from some other phone number.  Does the call ring on your browser, and can you answer it?  If not, report exactly what happens.

Google Voice works on the web interface and the app works on my cell phone.  I can make and receive calls on the web, and the number is at the top of the account.  Same from the app.  Zero problems.

RolandP

Also, **9 222 222 222 echo test works fine

SteveInWA

In that case, start the OBi 200 / Google Voice configuration over, from scratch, by carefully reading and following every step, in order, in my instructions, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

RolandP

DUDE!!!

Worked like a charm.

The firmware version on my OBI unit was 3.2.3 (Build: 6768), and as soon as I loaded the 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) version everything worked.  I assumed I could not go backwards, but it was fine.

Steve, really appreciate your patience with helping me and so many other people on this forum out. 

cheers

drgeoff

Quote from: RolandP on July 23, 2021, 03:54:28 PM
DUDE!!!

Worked like a charm.

The firmware version on my OBI unit was 3.2.3 (Build: 6768), and as soon as I loaded the 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) version everything worked.  I assumed I could not go backwards, but it was fine.

Steve, really appreciate your patience with helping me and so many other people on this forum out. 

cheers
How did that 3.2.3 (6768) firmware get on your OBi200?  That firmware is for OBi3 series devices and those devices do not support GV.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RolandP on July 23, 2021, 03:54:28 PM
DUDE!!!

Worked like a charm.

cheers

Thanks for the kind words!

RolandP

Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2021, 04:08:53 PM
How did that 3.2.3 (6768) firmware get on your OBi200?  That firmware is for OBi3 series devices and those devices do not support GV.

I don't know.  I purchased this device new from Newegg, received it mid-week.

Tried to set it up yesterday, ran into issues, did a factory reset.  That's when I noticed that the device had 3.2.3.

The only firmware I flashed onto the device was the 3.2.2 (5921EX) downgrade that I did today.

Also, I guess I should mention that as soon as I downgraded firmware, the OBI200 showed up in my Voice account.  I still deleted and factory reset everything, but seems like the firmware was the fix.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RolandP on July 23, 2021, 04:34:57 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2021, 04:08:53 PM

I don't know.  I purchased this device new from Newegg, received it mid-week.

Tried to set it up yesterday, ran into issues, did a factory reset.  That's when I noticed that the device had 3.2.3.

The only firmware I flashed onto the device was the 3.2.2 (5921EX) downgrade that I did today.

Also, I guess I should mention that as soon as I downgraded firmware, the OBI200 showed up in my Voice account.  I still deleted and factory reset everything, but seems like the firmware was the fix.

Hmph. Possibilities:  1) you actually ordered and received an OBi 300, although I have never heard of a 300 being flashed successfully with 200 firmware, 2) you ordered a 200 but they shipped you a 300, or 3) somebody else ordered a 200 from Newegg, flashed it with 300 firmware; it didn't work, and they returned it, and Newegg sent it to you.

It would be interesting if you'd take a close look at the white barcode sticker on the box and on the underside of the device, to see if they match, and if one or both of them identifies the device as a 300.

RolandP

Could have been a return, I did notice the ethernet cable didn't have a tie around it, though it was in plastic.  Wouldn't be the first time Newegg pulled that on me.

It definitely lists the model as OBi200.

EDIT:  I looked closer, the box it came in has TWO pieces (and types) of tape on top of each other.  Probably a return.